DBX 120A

The hows and whys of running sound.
Spoon

DBX 120A

#1 Post by Spoon »

Is anyone familiar with this unit? Would it add some depth to my T39's or destroy them?
Thanks
Built:
2 OT12's 2512 CD
2 OT12's 2512 Melded Array
4 Titan 39's 30" 3012LF
4 Titan 39's 20" 3012LF
6 Wedgehorn 8's
1 Wedgehorn10
2 AutoTuba's 18" w/MCM 8"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSW-Lana ... 080?ref=hl

DJPhatman

Re: DBX 120A

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Same class as sonic maximizer in my book. Totally unwanted using horns, as horns filter out harmonic distortion, and these devices seem to add to the distortion.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

safebet

Re: DBX 120A

#3 Post by safebet »

For sure wouldn't recommend with Titan 39. With a T60 it could be workable but recognize that adding bass an octave lower is a bit of a gimmick and does not work well in all situations, and certainly not if the signal being created electrically cannot be reproduced acoustically. You'd be placing demand in an area best avoided. Use your Titans where they work very well, in the 40+ Hz range.

I have an older 120X unit that works pretty well with my Tuba 30. Still there are some notes it produces that creep below their capability and are simply filtered away due to the required steep high pass filter. That said, it can add some nice sensation to dance tracks when used properly. I don't know about the 120A but my 120X principally adds a lower octave and not harmonics.

I have minimal experience with Sonic Maximizer but was never impressed. I've played with a DAW plug-in called MaxxBass that added harmonics with the intention of making it seem like deeper bass was present. Also not so impressed with this technique other than application to an individual track prior to mixdown.