Humming in spliced low signal cables!

The hows and whys of running sound.
DJ Higgumz

Humming in spliced low signal cables!

#1 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Built my own adapter cables to fit Xlr and ts. I've got a hum, but it isn't that noticeable, only when there is no sound going through it. I was wondering if there was any tricks to eliminating it. It is going from my iPod or laptop to my processor, but my laptop isn't plugged in to an ac so that's not the problem. There's a ground lift on my processor, lift it or no?

Should I wrap the cord in tinfoil, then electrical tape around that? What is ground looping, and will that help me? none of this is in a rack yet, I'm gonna build one, and I have a gig on Thursday, it's a wrestling meet where I play a wrestlers song as they go out on a mat, so theres alot of silence time.
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Gregory East

Re: Humming in spliced low signal cables!

#2 Post by Gregory East »

Oh boy, can of worms alert!

There shouldn't be any need for tinfoil if you follow the Rane note 110 instructions. Or if you care to post up exactly what you need leads from/to, then someone can specify or check your proposed wiring.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJ Higgumz wrote:What is ground looping, and will that help me?
http://www.rane.com/note110.html
There's a right way and a wrong way to connect devices. If you've got hum you did it the wrong way.

Greg Plouvier

#4 Post by Greg Plouvier »

Your cables should break out the 3.5mm trs to 2 male xlr or 2 ts male. Did you do it that way? An AV DI with a transformer is the best way.
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

DJ Higgumz

#5 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Greg Plouvier wrote:Your cables should break out the 3.5mm trs to 2 male xlr or 2 ts male. Did you do it that way? An AV DI with a transformer is the best way.
Kindof, it is 3.5 to 2 RCAs, which I have an adapter to 1/4. That isn't the cable I sliced though, cause that's to my sonic maximizer. From there I made a pair of 1/4 to Xlr cables, where I'm convinced that's the problem.
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Did you solder the -ve and the shield together at the 1/4 TS? If you did, that could be the problem. Look at the Rane link that Bill gave.
TomS

DJ Higgumz

#7 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Tom Smit wrote:Did you solder the -ve and the shield together at the 1/4 TS? If you did, that could be the problem. Look at the Rane link that Bill gave.
I just did the gig and it worked out fine, with all the crowd noise and whatnot you couldn't hear any humming. I think had my gain level combinations not right when I heard it, because It was fine. If you want to hear more about the night I will be posting in the review section, got alot of good things to say!
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s