RTA/EQ decision - what would you do?

The hows and whys of running sound.
loudsubz

RTA/EQ decision - what would you do?

#1 Post by loudsubz »

Did my first gig with Omnitops last night. Wasn't really ready for the show as I had just finished them that day so I didn't let myself get amped up only to be let down. They sounded good but really needed some EQ'ing to sound better, I found all night I was tweaking with the mid/highs on the little mixer I had (I know doesn't do much) but its all I had time to play with. Luckily it was only for a teachers Christmas party and I was doing it for free so I didn't have much to lose.

I have a BBE48 which has a small PEQ built in, but I am not sure if that is enough or if I should get a larger band EQ and put it into the mix? Also for RTA what is a decent inexpensive unit that I can get away with? I was contemplating trading in my BBE for a Behringer unit with built in RTA but the Behringers reliability still makes me un easy.

For an analog RTA is there any that you guys recommend that I should keep an eye on for on ebay etc? I was looking at using a PC based RTA software but the costs go up when you start adding the external cards needed to interface.

What do you guys suggest I do on a budget?

beofservice

Re: RTA/EQ decision - what would you do?

#2 Post by beofservice »

[quote="loudsubz"] I was looking at using a PC based RTA software but the costs go up when you start adding the external cards needed to interface.
quote]

I assume by external "cards" you mean USB or Firewire devices? Some people have good luck with this. My experience is that more devices = complexity = problems. If your PC has a well implemented USB or Firewire chipset (MacBook Pro?) and your external device has thuroughly debugged drivers (???) it may work out great. Otherwise you find yourself with a pack of trouble.

bassmonster

Re: RTA/EQ decision - what would you do?

#3 Post by bassmonster »

Does the miniDSP do RTA? It's compatible with REW. Great price too.