Using dmx cables for pre-amp use?

The hows and whys of running sound.
DJ Higgumz

Using dmx cables for pre-amp use?

#1 Post by DJ Higgumz »

I have a choice between my 30 foot Xlr to Xlr cable, or a 10 ft dmx cable. I need to splice one of them to get to 1/4''. Since dmx is data cable, would it make the sound cleaner than sound cable, or am I just being silly. Or is there no audible difference? I know if you use Xlr for dmx, it makes scanners all jittery, I wonder if it has an effect the other way around
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

bassmonster

Re: Using dmx cables for pre-amp use?

#2 Post by bassmonster »

Why would you use Dmx cable as speaker cable? Any speaker cable is fine, don't waste money on expensive cable. (I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this- I quite like the connectors on my Monster cables) But no matter what you do to it, copper is still copper. If you're feeling lucky you can make your own, look at some recent DIY cable threads.

Rune Bivrin

#3 Post by Rune Bivrin »

bassmonster wrote:Why would you use Dmx cable as speaker cable? Any speaker cable is fine, don't waste money on expensive cable. (I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this- I quite like the connectors on my Monster cables) But no matter what you do to it, copper is still copper. If you're feeling lucky you can make your own, look at some recent DIY cable threads.
Since the question is about XLR connectors and pre-amps, I'm assuming this is for line level signals. I see no particular reason why that shouldn't work well enough.
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

bassmonster

#4 Post by bassmonster »

Rune Bivrin wrote:
Since the question is about XLR connectors and pre-amps, I'm assuming this is for line level signals. I see no particular reason why that shouldn't work well enough.
Right. I didn't read as well as I should have. :oops:

Dave Non-Zero

#5 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

the only difference between mic cable and DMX is better screening on the DMX to minimise interference. use the dmx if you want basically.
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

DJ Higgumz

#6 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Im not doing it with a preamp, I just meant it would be before any high power was introduced. I just have dmx layin around, I don't want to cut up my nice long mic cable if I don't have to. I have used dmx for a mic when I needed more cable, but it's hard to tell with my cheap mic I used if I made the sound foggy or not.
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Copper is copper. Poly jacketed foil shielded DMX cable isn't as flexible as rubber jacketed braided shield mic cable, but that's of no concern to electrons.

DJ Higgumz

#8 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Would I need it sheilded? Or is it too short of a length to be shielded. How can I tell if it's shielded?
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Dave Non-Zero

#9 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

If it's a mic lead or a DMX led then it is shielded. :)
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

Gregory East

#10 Post by Gregory East »

I'm guessing your 1/4" isn't a TRS balanced connection? Afaik that makes the sheilding moot so the unbalanced connection would prefer a shorter length of cable to minimise it's aerial properties.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Tom Smit

#11 Post by Tom Smit »

Gregory East wrote:I'm guessing your 1/4" isn't a TRS balanced connection? Afaik that makes the sheilding moot so the unbalanced connection would prefer a shorter length of cable to minimise it's aerial properties.
As I understand it, the shield is soldered to the cold terminal on one end only, and that end is inserted where there is a TRS jack, or XLR(only for TS jack)
TomS

DJ Higgumz

#12 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Tom Smit wrote:
Gregory East wrote:I'm guessing your 1/4" isn't a TRS balanced connection? Afaik that makes the sheilding moot so the unbalanced connection would prefer a shorter length of cable to minimise it's aerial properties.
As I understand it, the shield is soldered to the cold terminal on one end only, and that end is inserted where there is a TRS jack, or XLR(only for TS jack)
Yep that's how I have it, but the short length of the cords are alright I think. I hooked up the low pass to my tops (don't have an amp for my t39) to see how it works and that there are no connection problems. There is some slight white noise though, and I'm sure it won't be heard out of the horn. But is It a problem with shielding? There's a ground lift switch on my crossover, what does that do? Would it have anything to do with shielding?
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

subharmonic

#13 Post by subharmonic »

not that this is the leading expert however:

2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

ontime1269

#14 Post by ontime1269 »

I'm glad I ran across this thread. I came across a few DMX cables the other day that I was wondering what to do with since I don't run larger light shows that I have in the past. My DMX cables are only 3ft long so I will probably use them as loop thru's between my amps. :clap:

Robin_Larsson

#15 Post by Robin_Larsson »

For whats its worth, as far as I´ve understood it, DMX cables have better shielding than your typical Mic cable, just as Dave wrote, and should work just as good for analog audio signals as well as digital signals.
Everyone says that it doesnt work to run DMX on mic cables also, and you probably shouldnt, but I´ve done it, it works, but it probably doesnt work as good if you run a lot of cable, and somewhere with a lot of interference.

I soldered a bunch of DMX cables the other week, the cable I bought is specified as a AES/EBU and DMX cable, and according to the manufacturer, Sommercable, it works as a high quality cable for analog audio as well. But like Bill said, it aint as flexible as some of the mic cables I have.
My plan is to use that DMX cable, with neutriks XX series connector for everything, but DMX and Audio, less chanche of mixing stuff up wrong then, so minimizing the risk of someone putting a mic cable in a loong DMX line.

And since i dont run live sound, I dont really need flexible mic cables right now :D
But when that need arises, I will get more mic cables:P I guess its really only for mics and such that the flexible cable is better? I really like the feel of our new DMX cables for everything else.

Rant over :horse:
Robin Larsson
Nzone Audio & Lights

Built so far:
2x 31.5" T48: 3015LF loaded
2x DR280: 3012HO/CD10fe loaded (bi-amped)
2x Jack 15 Lite: 3015HO loaded (Electric Bass)

Also using:
4x 27" T30: 3012LF loaded (Osse´s cabs, lives at Nzone HQ;)