commerical pa with dsp processor

The hows and whys of running sound.
jomo123

commerical pa with dsp processor

#1 Post by jomo123 »

Hi i need some education on commerical pa with dsp processor. Is it all hype to make the speaker sound better and having buit in amplifer in the speaker ?

Bruce Weldy

Re: commerical pa with dsp processor

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

We are going to need a little more info to answer. What speakers? What dsp?

A little more detail and you'll have a lot of answers soon.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jomo123 wrote:. Is it all hype to make the speaker sound better and having buit in amplifer in the speaker ?
No, although there's no particular advantage to having the DSP and amp on board either. You will get just as good a result with an outboard DSP and amp, and you can use them with any speaker.

jomo123

#4 Post by jomo123 »

Thank you Bill. Bruce i was talking about QSC K12 ,ATLO truesonic ts115 pro , jbl prx two way FULL range power speakers with built amplifer with dsp prosessors.
Just wanted to know any advantage and disadvantage.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jomo123 wrote:Thank you Bill. Bruce i was talking about QSC K12 ,ATLO truesonic ts115 pro , jbl prx two way FULL range power speakers with built amplifer with dsp prosessors.
Just wanted to know any advantage and disadvantage.
The advantage is for newbies, saving them having to figure out how to plug in cables and set DSPs. But the DSPs in these give flat response, so they can't adjust the system to the room, notch out feedback, etc. You're a lot better off learning how to use separates, it's not rocket science.

doncolga

#6 Post by doncolga »

Hi Jomo,

I've used the Mackie SRM 450's. They have no onboard DSP really, but they are powered. Almost from the time I got them, it was a pain running an audio line and a power line to them. It was just cables everywhere. Mine buzzed pretty bad too. Never had buzzes before or since. I'm using a Behringer DCX2496 crossover and DEQ 2496 EQ for DSP with two no frills Behringer EPQ 1200 rack power amps for a pair of OT12's and Tuba 30's. I like it much better for sound and a very neat rig. I have just three cables running from my rack to the main PA boxes, as I run in stereo. Even if I double my boxes using the amps I've got it'd be only four cables from the rack.

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

mikeratliff

#7 Post by mikeratliff »

Addressing what Don has said...I agree and when you start flying stuff up in the rafters, there is no going up and fixing a bad amp during the show! I know that alot of really big acts have gone totally to the powered cab (Mick Hughes FOH Metalica to name one really huge act). I know that Big Mick is feeding the I/0 optically through the Midas to the cabs but...I am fond of having access to the whole rig just in case. For me it has always been easier to down a amp and fix it than it is to down a cab...amps I have an easier access to. Like Don I used the Makies, RCF and DB Techs while working the corporate world and the powered cabs do have their place...such as corporate gigs. But hey my opinion is worth it's weight in cold spit!

PS
I can only imagine what optical price tag is for an FOH system!