How big of a snake do I need

The hows and whys of running sound.
openmikestlouis

How big of a snake do I need

#1 Post by openmikestlouis »

I am looking at buying a new snake. I need a 24 channel send but am confused with the returns. Almost every snake I see is a 24x4. But if I have 2 returns for L/R, and then use the other 2 for monitor mix A , and mon mix B, then how the hell am I supposed to run even 3 monitor mixes? I have plenty of amplifiers, and plenty of speakers. A 24x8 seems like overkill but maybe I am thinking of it wrong?

Lastcat

Re: How big of a snake do I need

#2 Post by Lastcat »

24 x 8, you'll find the extra returns will come in handy. Hopefully you can at least run 4 monitor mixes, if possible, 6.
Currently Built:
4 T39 24" 3012LF
4 WH10 2510
4 DR200 Pro 8a
4 DR250 2510

Benj Ross

#3 Post by Benj Ross »

I just went through the same process. I ended up with a 24x4 snake and I use adapters or convertcon cables to use the last couple channels as sends if I need them. In retrospect I should have gotten a 24x8. Carvin makes a very affordable 24x8 snake.

Benj
Authorized Builder
http://www.westsoundsystems.com (under construction)
Donating a portion of all proceeds to the Friends of Falun Gong
http://www.fofg.org
Peavey and Madisound Dealer

Ken Lustgarten

#4 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Benj Ross wrote:I just went through the same process. I ended up with a 24x4 snake and I use adapters or convertcon cables to use the last couple channels as sends if I need them. In retrospect I should have gotten a 24x8. Carvin makes a very affordable 24x8 snake.

Benj

That is exactly what I do with my 16x4 snake, it is all xlr. I made adapters so that if needed I can have an extra monitor channel or two. I also made some adapters to balanced 1/4" for each end. They are a life savers from time to time, not just on the snake but for hooking up that odd piece of equipment. A couple of times they came in handy when a permanent install did not have enough lines run for monitor feeds. A 1/4" to xlr (one male, one female) on each end of one of the houses built in mic cables and a powered monitor work great in a pinch.

gdougherty

#5 Post by gdougherty »

8 gets you l/r, subs and 5 monitors. 12 gets you most everything you'll ever need. Off my SAC rig I regularly fill 8 channels with l/r, center fills, subs and 4 monitors. To get 6 monitors I have to up my channel count past 8. In some locations I've wished for l/r, center, side fill, subs, etc but don't have the amp channels at the moment.

http://audiopile.net/products/Stagelink ... heet.shtml

gdougherty

#6 Post by gdougherty »

Other alternative is get something that works for your average stuff then pickup a second 8 channel xlr-xlr drive snake for when you need bigger.

el_ingeniero

#7 Post by el_ingeniero »

It's nice to keep your DSP gear at the FOH mixing station soyou can keep an eye on it. That means your sub signal will be using a cannel on the snake as well. So you definitely want more than 4 channels, unless you know you will always be running a single monitor channel.

openmikestlouis

#8 Post by openmikestlouis »

Crap. This snake is getting more and more expensive...... :cussing:

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

openmikestlouis wrote:Crap. This snake is getting more and more expensive...... :cussing:
Then go with the 24x4 and run mono. That will leave you 3 monitor sends.

Do you ever actually pan anything L or R? And if so, can more than 10% of the audience actually hear it? If the answer is no, then go mono.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

openmikestlouis

#10 Post by openmikestlouis »

I don't pan things left and right but usually handle all of the between set music for the bands I work with, leaving a lot of it in stereo.

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

openmikestlouis wrote:I don't pan things left and right but usually handle all of the between set music for the bands I work with, leaving a lot of it in stereo.
Nobody is going to know, or care, if the between set music is in stereo. Except you.

Look over your options as far as a snake goes. Buy one that fits the majority of your gigs, and borrow or rent another smaller snake when you need it. Or else, just pony up once for a high quality 32/8, and buy once, cry once.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Ken Lustgarten

#12 Post by Ken Lustgarten »

Yup, snakes are always to short and don't have enough connections. I have a 16 X 4 X 100' and barely squeak by. Usually I do not need 16 channels so I steel a couple using home made adapters for extra monitor feeds when needed. Now that I have 2 mixers and will combine them for an occasional large event I will need to get at least another 12 X 4. If I would have gotten a larger one to begin with I would not have to look for another snake now. For the time being I can borrow one when I need to. IMHO do it right the first time. You will need more then you think.

imnotded

#13 Post by imnotded »

I really do not understand why snakes with only 4 return channels are even sold. Get 8 returns and then you wont need to worry.
BFM cabs:

4 - OT12 (2512 loaded w/ melded arrays)
4 - T39 (3012LF loaded, 20" wide)

DJ Higgumz

#14 Post by DJ Higgumz »

Well I have the unity 1000 12 ch mixer from peavey, and a 12 x 4 snake by rapco, all for 10$! I just had to rub it, anyways the returns are stereo on the snake, but I'm guessing the outputs on the mixers are mono. They make adapters where it makes a y out of a stereo jack into a r and l jack, that would be a poor mans way of getting 8 returns. I've never tried that but I'm guessing it would work
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJ Higgumz wrote:Well I have the unity 1000 12 ch mixer from peavey, and a 12 x 4 snake by rapco, all for 10$! I just had to rub it, anyways the returns are stereo on the snake, but I'm guessing the outputs on the mixers are mono. They make adapters where it makes a y out of a stereo jack into a r and l jack, that would be a poor mans way of getting 8 returns. I've never tried that but I'm guessing it would work
This seems like a good opportunity for a little discussion on connectors. The plugs on your snake are not "stereo". They are TRS (tip, ring, sleeve). Sometimes these type connectors are used for stereo like your iPod, headphones, etc.

However, in this instance the TRS connector is used for a balanced signal. A balanced signal runs at +4 dbu. A TS (tip, sleeve) runs at -10dbu and is considered unbalanced - this would be guitar cables, etc. These should not be run for long distances.

Using the TRS connector the way you suggested with a Y cable to turn it into two unbalanced line is possible in theory....only one problem - running an unbalanced line over a snake is way too long a distance to be reliable. It will have a lot of noise.

So, a TRS connector can be use in different applications, but be careful of pigeon-holing is as a stereo plug. Learning signal flow is very important, especially at your age as there a lot of old farts out there that still don't understand it.

Hope this makes sense to you.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."