Treshold.

The hows and whys of running sound.
dno1gtbai

Treshold.

#1 Post by dno1gtbai »

ok guys, is there a formula to find the treshold ..
i have 4 Tuba 30. 3012lf single loaded.
Behringer ep 4000
Have Dirverack Pa+
need a find out what the treshold is if i run 2 speaker per channel...
and also i know its say in the plans to HIPASS the subs at 35 hz, but what hz do i low pass it at???

Thanks

DJPhatman

Re: Treshold.

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Are you asking about limiting? Compression? Gate? A bit more info, please.

As for the band pass, usually 35Hz to 100Hz, the top number determined by your personal "taste" with where the mid-high tops pick up the content. Some like to cross over to the tops a bit lower, 80Hz or so, I prefer the subs to run up higher, to 125Hz. Adjust the crossover frequency until it sounds right to you.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

dno1gtbai

#3 Post by dno1gtbai »

ok thats good info. but i need to set the limiter on the driverack, i found a link with the formula but i dident save it now i cant find it ... so if anyone knows the formula let me know please.
i found this but i just want to make shore if this is the way

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p ... msg_346560

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

dno1gtbai wrote:ok thats good info. but i need to set the limiter on the driverack, i found a link with the formula but i dident save it now i cant find it ... so if anyone knows the formula let me know please.
i found this but i just want to make shore if this is the way

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p ... msg_346560
There is no formula - you have to get a volt meter and use it to limit the voltage properly.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

dno1gtbai

#5 Post by dno1gtbai »

i did try it with a volt meter, but i was using a 30hz tone i got to retry it with a sine wave i guess

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

dno1gtbai wrote:i did try it with a volt meter, but i was using a 30hz tone i got to retry it with a sine wave i guess
Use something between 60 and 100....test tone is fine.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

dno1gtbai

#7 Post by dno1gtbai »

so when i set the drive rack i should leave the treshold at the preset? +20db? or 0, just dont want to burn the subs..

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

Read this thread to help you get going http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 55&start=0
TomS

SoundInMotionDJ

#9 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

dno1gtbai wrote:i did try it with a volt meter, but i was using a 30hz tone i got to retry it with a sine wave i guess
A 30Hz tone IS a sine wave.

I generally use a tone that is at least 1/3 octave away from the crossover frequencies. I find that a 60Hz tone is a good "general purpose" tone to use when setting limiters for subwoofers.
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

rec

#10 Post by rec »

dno1gtbai, I just did this yesterday with my DRPA+. I have not fooled with this stuff for a number of months. Spend some time on the DBX forum as well and it will all start to make sense. For the time being here is what I came up with for my t30 subs (4012HO driver).
Set your gain structure FIRST, this is very important as I am a DJ and I switched from a 2chn mixer and decks to a all in one midi controller. My gain structure was totally different. DBX form is another resource for this info.
As far as the threshold goes, turn on the limiter, & over easy setting( I started at level 1). Start with your threshold at +20
Play a 60hz test tone from (Bink test cd) or other source
Have your volt meter connected to one amp channel on VAC setting, mine started at around 60v then reduce your threshold
until you get to the voltage that you need for your drivers.
If I am off base here someone correct me as I am no expert.
Good luck
My initials are in the view finder of every camcorder (REC)
2xOT12(Deltalite 2512 loaded, w/melded arrays)
2xOT12(Deltalite 2512 loaded, w/flat array) "In Process"
4xT30(24", 4012HO loaded)
1xAT