Build Progress

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
AcousticScience

Re: Build Progress

#16 Post by AcousticScience »

Nice - I did look at the SLA pro - decent 100dB sensitivity in a compact cab. They probably would have played cleaner in an echoey environment than Omnitop 12 with Comp Driver. I also like the look of a taller thinner cab more than one that is wider than it is high. I did look at the Tuba 24, but it seemed to me comparing charts that despite the T24 being a pretty piece of woodwork, a simple bass reflex could out perform it through most of the pass band (a bit more money on drivers but less on wood, also seems like the Tuba horn flares are designed for the V-plate so with 1 I don't get the advantage), so on limited space in the car I ended up building them instead. No regrets and I still have the drivers for T39 if I ever need.

As for cluster arrays, it is rare to find a speaker that works well in this arrangement as different bands usually have different dispersion - perhaps synergy horns. L'acoustics Arcs were okay too, although I did notice a bit of suckout in the highs as I walked between speakers. I've heard a J-Array that combed a lot more, but that was because the bottom was not secured. Ground stack line arrays seem to be the most consistent way to combine speakers with the least interference issues.