SLA Pros setup question

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
kenkenni

SLA Pros setup question

#1 Post by kenkenni »

I have not been here in a while. Glad to see the forums are still pretty active. I built the SLA Pro tall and mini cabs
some time ago, as I haven't been going out much I have been keeping them going by using them for my PC and audio
monitors for keyboard play. I was just wondering if it was possible to use the cabs in a way that the minis can be
setup to play the highs and the SLAs can be setup to play the mids in like a three-way setup. I have one Crown XLS
2502 and my old trusty from-back-in-the-day QSC RMX850. The SLA talls are on the Crown amp and the minis are daisy-
chained from each Tall SLA. The sub is on the RMX850. It's a DIY sub I built some years ago. The speakers are being
run from my DBX Driverack PA2 in full range at the moment. Just wondering if I can make better use of the speakers
and what are the best settings I should use in the Driverack to get the best sound. Thanks

Bruce Weldy

Re: SLA Pros setup question

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am I have not been here in a while. Glad to see the forums are still pretty active. I built the SLA Pro tall and mini cabs
some time ago, as I haven't been going out much I have been keeping them going by using them for my PC and audio
monitors for keyboard play. I was just wondering if it was possible to use the cabs in a way that the minis can be
setup to play the highs and the SLAs can be setup to play the mids in like a three-way setup. I have one Crown XLS
2502 and my old trusty from-back-in-the-day QSC RMX850. The SLA talls are on the Crown amp and the minis are daisy-
chained from each Tall SLA. The sub is on the RMX850. It's a DIY sub I built some years ago. The speakers are being
run from my DBX Driverack PA2 in full range at the moment. Just wondering if I can make better use of the speakers
and what are the best settings I should use in the Driverack to get the best sound. Thanks
If you just want to experiment and have something to play with - go ahead. But, it's not going to sound any better........ :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Not only will it not sound better, it will sound worse. The SLA Pro design addresses the problems inherent in using different cabs for the mids and highs. Doing as the OP proposes reintroduces those problems.

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

kenkenni wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am I have not been here in a while. Glad to see the forums are still pretty active. I built the SLA Pro tall and mini cabs
Just to clarify, you built a pair of Four 6" driver SLA Pro's and a Pair of two 6" driver SLA Pro's... is that correct? (there are also 5" and 4" driver versions that could be referred to as "Mini")

If so, I'd leave them wired and run them the way you have them... except that I'd high pass them on a 125-150Hz 24dB LR slope and run the sub/s on a complimentary 125-150Hz, 24dB LR slope low pass.

I built a couple 2 x 6 SLA Pro's and use them with a 16" T39. I found that the SLA's are a little bright without EQing some of the high end out a little. Personally, I'd rather they be bright and have to pull some out, than have to add EQ to fix what's not there. Anyway, I didn't pull much out. By memory (don't quote me on it, but try it out and see how you like it), I wanna say I put about a -4dB high shelf filter from about 2500Hz up and pulled a little 10k to flatten the peak there. I'ts still not perfect,but I haven't taken the time to REALLY tune them. It is waaay sufficient and they sound really really good in current tune, indoors or outdoors.

My sub tune probably wouldn't help you at all... and I'm still sussing out a personal preference in that matter anyway.

My two cents of where I'd start anyway. No more or less valid than any other option, I suppose.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

kenkenni

#5 Post by kenkenni »

Seth yes I built the 6" pair sets. They sound really good as is. I was just curious if there were other users that set them up in different ways.
I am going to go into the Driverack and use your recommended settings to see how they respond. Also for these speakers would you recommend
I auto-EQ or set by ear?

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:24 pm Also for these speakers would you recommend
I auto-EQ or set by ear?
Both. Run the Auto EQ to let the system find the weird stuff, then use your ears to clean it up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#7 Post by kenkenni »

Hey Seth I actually used your settings to re-tune my SLAs today. There is a difference I can tell. Even used the settings for the sub. There is better
separation between speakers. Everything just sounds a bit better. Before, I just had the SLA and subs crossed over at 100HZ. Still sounded good but
I do like what I am hearing now though the DBX did re-adjust my limiter settings when I re-auto eq'ed. It set the Threshold to -5db and an OverEasy
of 6 on both the speakers and subs. Any expert tips on limiting these properly.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 am It set the Threshold to -5db and an OverEasy
of 6 on both the speakers and subs. Any expert tips on limiting these properly.
It shouldn't be auto-setting anything on the limiter. And you never use the Over Easy - that's a compressor setting typically.

You should re-visit your limiter setup. Did you set it with a volt meter originally?

If you need step by step instructions on setting the limiter properly, just holler.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210