Micro SLA pro 2x5 and SLA Pro 2x6 SPL charts?

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
Prenticeboy

Micro SLA pro 2x5 and SLA Pro 2x6 SPL charts?

#1 Post by Prenticeboy »

Hi everyone

I’m new here on the forum, I’ve been lurking looking for more info on the SLA Pros, especially the micro versions, and can only find SPL charts and dispersion info for the SLA Pro 4x6. I’m more interested in building the half models, 2x6 or micro 2x5, to use as delay speakers primarily, though they might get used for FOH for smaller gigs. Maybe those SPL charts are in the plans? If so I don’t mind buying them to find out....

I already have Presonus AI 328’s for FOH but I’d like much smaller speakers for delays. I also have built 4 Simplex 10 wedges and have two more on the way....very happy with those btw I should really do a build review I’ll try to get to that soon and do my part. I have used those wedges on stands as delays and they sound great but they’re still a bit big for my use. I am a musician and not a wood worker by any means but they turned out well for my first project so thought I’d try SLA’s for a slightly more difficult project that better suits my needs.
Simplex 10 wedges
Simplex 10 wedges
Any info would be helpful. I have a good source for Eminence drivers but the Alpha 6 drivers are pretty expensive here in Canada - I’m having trouble finding a good source for Faital drivers so I’m thinking of getting Leland to ship me the Faital 5FE’s but I’d really like to know what I’m going to get especially where they drop off at the 100Hz range. I do mostly acoustic/folk shows in very live rooms so I use delays a lot to tame the room, usually high pass them well above 100Hz and run shows pretty quiet.

Thanks in advance!

Seth

Re: Micro SLA pro 2x5 and SLA Pro 2x6 SPL charts?

#2 Post by Seth »

Hello and welcome. I'm Seth.

The plans do not have graphs for the configurations you mentioned. I'd like to see them too.

This may be helpful though, from the plans:
The four/five inch woofer version is smaller, for installations where the standard version won’t fit or if the absolute minimum pack space is required. Since the woofers have less displacement they won’t go as loud, by nearly 5dB, so this version should be only be used where compact size is more important than output... Since the Pro 5W has more displacement than the Alpha 4 maximum SPL using the Pro 5W is about 3dB higher. Because of the lower output of the Alpha 4 a 2x4 is not recommended...
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

SethRocksYou wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:16 am The plans do not have graphs for the configurations you mentioned. I'd like to see them too.

This may be helpful though, from the plans:
The four/five inch woofer version is smaller, for installations where the standard version won’t fit or if the absolute minimum pack space is required. Since the woofers have less displacement they won’t go as loud, by nearly 5dB, so this version should be only be used where compact size is more important than output... Since the Pro 5W has more displacement than the Alpha 4 maximum SPL using the Pro 5W is about 3dB higher. Because of the lower output of the Alpha 4 a 2x4 is not recommended...
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

Let's use a bit of scientific method 8)
Based on the above that Seth has quoted from the plans, and that a doubling of drivers adds + 6dB, take the standard 4 x 6 SPL chart, then reduce it's native response chart by 6dB for a 2 x 6.
Which also means, given Seth's quote above, essentially, don't even think of 4"s or 5"s versions for the intended application, as you will be somewhere around -11dB, or less than half as loud (unless that works for you).

As to horizontal dispersion, it will be the same as the orientation of the HF hasn't changed but in the vertical axis there will be less beam control as the height of the array is halved.

Further, if you're regularly high passing above 100Hz, then response down to 100Hz should be perfectly acceptable...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The 2x6 response is going to be similar to the 4x6. The 5FE20 response will be similar to the Faital Pro data sheet chart, but with more sensitivity in the low end. It will work to 100Hz just fine.