TLAH PRO Tweeter configuration

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
Minkmerkin

TLAH PRO Tweeter configuration

#1 Post by Minkmerkin »

I'm going to take a big chance and ask question that may induce a full chorus of "follow the plans exactly".

I work for a sound company that uses a pair of TLAH PROs for a variety of events. They have proven themselves to be very useful. The pair in question have the continuous array configuration for the tweeters. We have successfully deployed them for several street fairs and a large car show, where their ability to throw a long distance has been a great help.

I recently began collecting components to make my own pair and bought the plans. I was surprised to see that the continuous array configuration was designed for an audience in closer proximity to the speakers than the separately installed version. We've had such good luck with these cabs at both close range and two blocks down the street, that I had to read that part of the plans several times before I believed my eyes.

This got me wondering, what would happen if the top four tweeters were individually mounted and the bottom four were melded? The idea being, melded for the folks up by the stage and individual for the folks up two blocks. Would there be a benefit or would this create unforeseen problems?

I confess to little more than a rough understanding of acoustics but thought the question was interesting enough to share. Apologies if my question offends the sensibilities of the more seasoned among you.

Minkmerkin

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH PRO Tweeter configuration

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I suppose you could do that, though it would require a total redesign, as a melded array wouldn't fit. The continuous array is shorter than the separately mounted tweeters, so it has wider vertical dispersion, less likely to shoot over the heads of those close to the speakers.

Minkmerkin

#3 Post by Minkmerkin »

Thanks for the reply Bill.

I guess what I was thinking, was to have the top four start at the usual spot (6" from the top of the cab) and the melded array of four begin below that (so that the bottom individual tweeter was 6" on center to the first tweeter in the melded array).

The question was mainly out of curiosity, as I mentioned, the ones we have work very well. I was just wondering out loud if having the top four separated, would have an effect, perhaps throwing farther.

I should also mention that typically, we have these speakers mounted to crank-up lighting tripod stands, with the bottom of the cab approximately 4'-5' off the ground.

Minkmerkin

#4 Post by Minkmerkin »

Ah! I see I have created a bit of confusion by using the wrong terms in my previous posts. I'll try again......

First off, forget about "melded", the term I should be using is continuous.

So, the configuration in question would be, From the top of the cabinet, first four separated, then bottom four continuous. The thought being, maximum throw at the top, for distance, wider vertical throw at the bottom for near field.

Again, Just think out loud. All thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The horizontal dispersion would be the same either way, and there would be nothing to gain by making the top half closer together. It's the total array height that determines the vertical dispersion of the entire array.

Minkmerkin

#6 Post by Minkmerkin »

Got it. Thanks again Bill.

Minkmerkin

#7 Post by Minkmerkin »

One last question. What's the difference in distance, between the continuous and separated tweeters, in terms of where the wavefronts merge? I can't imagine it's drastically different.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It will be different, but like you said not drastically so. Even if it was another ten wavelengths at 4kHz that's only 2.8 feet.