Sealed Simplexx 12 cabs - Alternate Driver

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Jakevw

Sealed Simplexx 12 cabs - Alternate Driver

#1 Post by Jakevw »

Over the last 5 months I've built a 3x Simplexx cabs (2x 1x12, and 1x 2x12). Going to the sealed cab has truly changed the way things sound live. I have so much more punch, definition, and I utilize far less acoustic space, making the rest of the band sound much better. I am finding other bassists are coming to be my gigs, specifically to hear my bass sound. I selected the Eminence Legend BP122, because of the Q falling in the best range for the sealed Simplexx 12 specs.

I have posted before about my speakers maxing out (protrusion); I am using a HPF to help reduce this problem. I am finding that I still get more maxing out than I feel is normal (even at HPF at 75hz) and don't want to rule-out swapping the speakers for something with a larger xmax, or even being as silly as reducing the cabinet's internal volume (I'd go as far as cutting a corner off, to make the cab more of a wedge).

Any suggestion on how to keep in the sealed box world, and get more resiliency to the cone excursion issue?

Sorry for the silly question. I hope the answer isn't more cabs, cause I'm already looking like a bit of a diva with all these speakers :). These cabs really have changed the way I play. 99% a good news story. I just want to go further with them.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Sealed Simplexx 12 cabs - Alternate Driver

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

What you've run up against is the fact that sealed cabs use more excursion to reach the same low end output as ported cabs. It's the nature of the beast. At 60Hz with the same power input and SPL output the sealed cab excursion is twice that of the ported. The 6.2mm xmax of the BP122 is better than most twelves, so finding drivers with the right specs with significantly more xmax is unlikely. A smaller cab would be worse.

Jakevw

#3 Post by Jakevw »

Thanks Bill. If I want to stick in the same realm of sound, is the best answer more cabinets? The definition I get from the sealed cab is so overwhelmingly clearer, more articulate and efficient in regards to utilization of to the sonic real-estate of my bandmates.

I assume the 3012LF is out of the question?

I don't mind going with more cabs, if I must. Since I have this new fixation with sealed cabs, is there a better size speaker I should move towards, and go with that Simplexx design? I can't go back!

FYI I arrange them in XY config, and the experience is definitely remarkable. I also did some cabs with Duratex and others with Expoxy; the epoxy has a little more low end but a little more weight.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd say if you like what you've got just use more to get the volume you need. The 3012LF and similar drivers are off the table, as they don't have the mids. The BP1525 won't have the mids either. As an experiment you should be a ported version. You can't be sure if what you like is the sealed cab or the driver unless you try the driver in a ported cab. If you don't like the result you can block the ports off.

Jakevw

#5 Post by Jakevw »

Great idea. Thanks.

What are your thoughts on mixing the exact same cab + drivers, but some ported and others not? I know the Ampeg SVT 6x10 does this. I would assume the phase relationship would be close, but still different.

If it turns out I do like the drivers more than the sealed, is the idea of adding ports to my sealed cabs a possibility? (I assume it is not a possibility, but never hurts to ask!).

Thanks again.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Mixing ported and sealed is a bad idea, just like mixing different drivers. You could add ports to sealed cabs. You'd need a multi-tool to cut the baffles.