Sealed 1x12 Simplexx Bass Flab

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Jakevw

Sealed 1x12 Simplexx Bass Flab

#1 Post by Jakevw »

I just finished a 1x12 sealed Simplexx (no tweeter) with BP122. It farts on my 4-string from the low G down to E, even with the EQs at 12'oclock, and a Broughton HPF set to 35hz. All bracing is rock solid. I am 100% certain it is air-tight, and done to spec. I have a conservative use of Polyfill on the sides and back. Any tips on eliminating the flab? Or is this the nature of sealed boxes, having less capacity?

Bruce Weldy

Re: Sealed 1x12 Simplexx Bass Flab

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Jakevw wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:26 pm I just finished a 1x12 sealed Simplexx (no tweeter) with BP122. It farts on my 4-string from the low G down to E, even with the EQs at 12'oclock, and a Broughton HPF set to 35hz. All bracing is rock solid. I am 100% certain it is air-tight, and done to spec. I have a conservative use of Polyfill on the sides and back. Any tips on eliminating the flab? Or is this the nature of sealed boxes, having less capacity?
Don't know what kind of amp you are using, but it's a $100 speaker that rolls off hard at 100hz with only a 6.2mm xmax. You can't expect to hit that really hard and expect it to not fart out. You might try turning back the low end a bit and raising the HPF to about 50hz. That will help with the excursion. And you really won't miss a lot.....most bass cabs don't get below 50hz anyway.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Sealed 1x12 Simplexx Bass Flab

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Jakevw wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:26 pm is this the nature of sealed boxes, having less capacity?
It is. They have less sensitivity along with much higher cone excursion in the lows, where the bulk of the output from a ported cab comes from the port, not the cone. Running the HPF at 60Hz will help.