Simplexx 10 cabinet shape

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Mikesummers

Simplexx 10 cabinet shape

#1 Post by Mikesummers »

Pulling from previous post:
I asked if the Simplexx 10 cabinet could have a smaller front baffle so long as cabinet volume and port size/shape are maintained.
Bill said yes.
Follow up…am i losing anything by doing this? I’m sure Bill had good reason for sizing the baffle as he did and offsetting the driver from the center.
Thx

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Simplexx 10 cabinet shape

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The cab width and height allow the depth to be short enough for easy loading into a car trunk or back seat. A cube shape means there's no short dimension to fit into a tight space. The woofer is offset to reduce internal pathway reflection resonances. On that subject symmetry should be avoided, but since centered looks nice and people buy with their eyes that's how everyone else does it.

Mikesummers

#3 Post by Mikesummers »

Interesting, so is there a rule of thumb for off-centering such as the 2/5-3/5 rule often quoted for DMLs?
And do wedge or trapezoid shaped cabs work better to avoid internal resonances?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's no rule of thumb other than to not have the distance from the woofer to any of the sides duplicated. That way you get a number of small resonances rather than one or two large resonances. Any shape that reduces or eliminates parallel walls is beneficial, but also more difficult to build.