Simplexx 18" question

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
singtall

Simplexx 18" question

#1 Post by singtall »

I stumbled upon this place after doing hours of research into how I could duplicate a now defunct Carvin cabinet model trx2218b. I heard this sub and it is unbelievable how much low end it puts out compared to a proline JBL for example. what I like about them besides the obvious loud bass volume is that you can lay them down and stack them for coupling of multiple cabinets for even better bass. I haven't seen pics of the simplexx 18 but I was hoping that they were close to the same design . does anyone have a particular 18" speaker that they would recommend without breaking the bank? I can get ahold of the same speakers from Carvin but my fear is that if I ever blow them I won't be able to find a suitable replacement. I'm leaning towards Eminence.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Simplexx 18" question

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

It's important to know exactly what kind of use the sub is for. Recorded music or live sound? Genre? How low does it really need to go?

I don't think the Simplex 18 would be the correct replacement for the Carvin. You should probably be looking at T39, T48, or T60 depending on the answers on the above questions.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

singtall

#3 Post by singtall »

PA system speakers. they look similar to the simplexx design.

http://cdn-docs.av-iq.com/dataSheet/TRx ... asheet.pdf

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

singtall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 pm PA system speakers. they look similar to the simplexx design.

http://cdn-docs.av-iq.com/dataSheet/TRx ... asheet.pdf
Actually, they are nothing like the Simplexx 18 sub design. The Simplexx 180 sub is a down-firing cabinet that can be placed side-by-side, but not stacked.

Again, the type of cab really depends on the use......PA systems are used the DJs and Live sound - if you can tell us what you are using them for, we can better help you choose the right tool for the job.

For example - my rig is used for live sound (bands) - thus I don't need to go down to 30hz....in fact, I typically high pass at 45-50hz for Rock and country bands with plenty of low end. I use the T39.

If you are doing EDM, Reggae, etc., then I'd suggest the T48 for re-inforcement. For DJs playing DubStep and that kinda' stuff - it would be a T60.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

singtall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:55 pm what I like about them besides the obvious loud bass volume is that you can lay them down and stack them for coupling of multiple cabinets for even better bass.
Louder, but not better or lower. They're no different in that respect than any other bass reflex speaker, which is what they are. So is the Simplexx. Horns do get better and go lower when stacked.

Strange Kevin

#6 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hi Singtall, welcome to the forum.

The S18 is similar in the fact that its a bass reflex 18" with 4 corner ports. Beyond that, I Haven't studied the specs well enough to say more..

The S18 is a great cab, but depending on your use case, the horns can preform even better.
That's why we all want to know how you plan to use them. :)
Attachments
20200614_225614.jpg
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

singtall

#7 Post by singtall »

i was looking at the simplex 12 and saw two of them in a front firing cabinet and i thought they made a 2-18" version of that.

I plan on using the pa speakers for live bands mostly rock/metal. we go at it at fairly high sound levels. that's the scene at the moment.

I like the Carvin cabinet but I'm not married to the design. just wondering why the industry went from all horn loaded stuff to front loaded? seems like a step backward from what I've read here.

singtall

#8 Post by singtall »

apparently I had the model number of the Carvin cabinet wrong, it was a TRX3218 loaded with Faital Pro 18"s. my friend tells me that it's the one I heard. same cabinet design for the most part. I like the compactness of the cabinet for how low it gets and how hard it throws. but I'm open to make better cabinets with horn loaded designs if that's the consensus.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

singtall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 pm
just wondering why the industry went from all horn loaded stuff to front loaded? seems like a step backward from what I've read here.
The reason is simple.....with the advent of high powered amps and drivers capable of handling that high power, the manufacturers could build a simple six sided box and slap some drivers in way cheaper than trying to build the much more efficient, but expensive to build, horn loaded cabs.

So, we are using the horn technology and Bill's expertise to build the more involved cabs ourselves, load 'em with cheaper drivers, power 'em with smaller amps, but get the same output.

Oh, and they are a cleaner sounding box.

You should consider T39s or T48s. Personally, I build a herd of T39s for rock and metal.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

singtall

#10 Post by singtall »

I just read an article and got schooled on horn loaded designs so I'm all in. looking at some of the suggested t39 and t48 speakers now. thanks

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

singtall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:25 pm apparently I had the model number of the Carvin cabinet wrong, it was a TRX3218 loaded with Faital Pro 18"s. my friend tells me that it's the one I heard. same cabinet design for the most part. I like the compactness of the cabinet for how low it gets and how hard it throws. but I'm open to make better cabinets with horn loaded designs if that's the consensus.
As one who's been mixing for over 40 years, I've found that trying compare cabs is almost impossible unless you are doing it yourself. Problem is, you could be listening to the best cab ever built, but if the guy using it doesn't have a clue as to how to EQ it properly and mix it properly, it could sound like crap.....whereas, the guy mixing on the Carvins may really know his stuff and made 'em sound great.

Honestly, I don't think there is enough difference between quality-built 2x18 cabs from any major brand to really make me go oooh or aahhh......They all work and sound about the same.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

singtall wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 pm wondering why the industry went from all horn loaded stuff to front loaded?
Cost. Direct radiators can be built in a few hours, horns take considerably longer. A horn loaded 1x15 will easily meet or beat a 2x18 reflex box, but even with the price of two 18s versus one 15 the reflex box is cheaper to build, because of the higher labor costs. Labor cost isn't a consideration when you build your own. Where commercial speakers are concerned top of the line cost no object speakers are still horn loaded. For instance, the Danley Sound Labs TH115 sub, roughly equivalent to the T48, runs around $3k, used. You can't even get prices on them new, they're only sold through a few dealers who only sell to major entities.