Faital 12PR320 Cabinet choice

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
relayerbob

Faital 12PR320 Cabinet choice

#1 Post by relayerbob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi!

So, I am looking to build out a 12" bass guitar cabinet, probably powered with around 250W (amp, TBD, but doesn't have to be huge). Anyway, the Simplex 112 looks right for me. I really like the wide frequency range, low Fs, and good senstivity of the Faital 12PR320 (https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Lo ... =101050135) and while I think it is somewhat more suited to ported designs, I'm not sure if that is the right choice for me. The question I have is for anyone who has experience with this driver to advise as to whether this even works well with a closed cabinet, or whether ported is basically required to get good (I know, subjective) performance? This will mostly be for home studio and/or small gig use, and I don't really want to deal with a HF driver and crossover, although if people say this driver isn't very good, then I'm open to change my direction. I like the sounds of a punchier closed cabinet, but really want to be able to get low with a 5 string. Any tips on what worked best, or didn't work well (or at all) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Faital 12PR320 Cabinet choice

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 pm

The Qts is too low, EBP too high for a sealed cab. Have you software modeled that driver? Unless you're an expert in loudspeaker design you can't tell how a driver will work just by looking at the data sheet. Also, if you want to get really low a sealed cab isn't going to get you there.

relayerbob

#3 Post by relayerbob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 pm

I suspected as much based on reading your Simplexx instructions. The EBP of 107 was close to the "100" line I understand allows drivers to do both, but wanted to look for yours and other folks' experience with this driver, good or bad or any tips, as I start the design process on this project. I'm certainly no expert at bass cabinets. Built some simple guitar boxes, but those are nothing. Trying to learn, thanks!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:28 am

I wouldn't use an EPB of 100 in a sealed cab, nor do I consider an EPB of 100 suitable for sealed and ported. I'd call 50 to 75 being suitable for both, with less than 50 best for sealed only, greater than 75 best for ported only. The BP122, which may be used either way, has an EPB of 62.
Asking opinions about a specific driver IMO is as useful as asking which is better, chocolate or vanilla. The answer you'll get is purely subjective. That's why there's no substitute for speaker modeling software. Using it you'll always know exactly what you'll get.