Simplexx Wedges - response curve sans lpad?

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
alexk

Simplexx Wedges - response curve sans lpad?

#1 Post by alexk »

Hey there!

I'm considering building a few monitor wedges. I've got the choice between 31 band and 6 band parametric EQ for all my outputs, so building without an LPad is an option.

I notice that the response curves provided in the plans and in the SPL Charts section both show an attenuated tweeter. Are there any charts that show a tweeter without LPad attenuation?

Thanks!

Svartrose

Re: Simplexx Wedges - response curve sans lpad?

#2 Post by Svartrose »

It takes about 12db to match the drivers. I think it's good to use an l-pad so you have room left on your EQ to correct for room and feedback.

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

alexk wrote:Hey there!

I'm considering building a few monitor wedges. I've got the choice between 31 band and 6 band parametric EQ for all my outputs, so building without an LPad is an option.

I notice that the response curves provided in the plans and in the SPL Charts section both show an attenuated tweeter. Are there any charts that show a tweeter without LPad attenuation?

Thanks!
Attenuation would be via a passive crossover me thinks, not an L-pad.
I don't have Simplexx plans though.

Bill doesn't generally use L-pads...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Simplexx do have an option for LPad, since the sensitivity of the horn loaded tweeter is so much higher than the direct radiating woofer.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:34 pm Simplexx do have an option for LPad, since the sensitivity of the horn loaded tweeter is so much higher than the direct radiating woofer.
Sorry for the raising of the dead thread, but it is the appropriate place.....

So, would this be an option for the Simplexx Wedge 10? Use the PSD2002-16S 16ohm CD along with the 1.2k crossover from the OTop plans. That should get the sensitivity closer to the woofer and drop the crossover point at the same time (which I like).

Feasible? It would increase the price by $40, but should yield a really nice sounding box, if I'm not totally off base.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I doubt that the horn on the Beta 10 CX will support 1.2kHz response.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:42 am I doubt that the horn on the Beta 10 CX will support 1.2kHz response.
So, is there an actual little horn under the dust cover on those? I've never used one or seen one opened up. I just figured the HF driver exited through the cone.

Radian makes a 10" coaxial that crosses at 1.5k (24db/oct slope)

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If the 1.2k crossover doesn't work, what about using the PSD 16 ohm driver with the 16ohm 2k crossover? Would that alleviate the need for the L-Pad?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210