Simplexx 18 vs T39 slim

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
BassontheRR

Simplexx 18 vs T39 slim

#1 Post by BassontheRR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm

I have a pair of 16" T39s BP102s. These were built by board member BZB and pretty astounding given their sound and cost. I need to increase the capacity of my rig and have been comparing the complexity of builds between the T39 and the Simplexx 18. The Simplexx is probably more fitting for my current skills and time frame. How will they compare output wise with the T39s. I recognize that the cost will be higher given the more expensive driver - will they equal or exceed the output of my T39s? I know that I will not be able to combine the Simplexx subs with the Titans.

DJPhatman

Re: Simplexx 18 vs T39 slim

#2 Post by DJPhatman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:40 pm

It makes absolutely no sense to change models. You are better off adding to the T39s that you already have. The first thing I would do, if I were you, is upgrade the BP102 to the Kappalite 3012LF. You have the older, "top door" design, correct? Open them, remove the BP102 and spacer ring, if it has one, and fill in the holes with wood dough or plastic body filler (Bondo). Get a pair of 3012LF drivers, a pair of spacers and Recex Head screws. The screws look like:
Pre-drill the spacer using the 3012LF as a guide. Using 8 of the Recex screws and 8 flat washers, glue and screw down the spacer. Let it sit for at least 24 hours in a "warm" moist place (laundry room is perfect). Once the PL fully cures, remove the screws and washers, install the 3012LF, torque down the screws, and enjoy! Just upgrading the driver will give you at least +3dB. Still not enough? Build 2 more T39s, as wide as you can transport.

Even going to 24" wide brings large returns in SPL!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Grant Bunter

Re: Simplexx 18 vs T39 slim

#3 Post by Grant Bunter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 am

DJPhatman wrote:It makes absolutely no sense to change models. You are better off adding to the T39s that you already have. The first thing I would do, if I were you, is upgrade the BP102 to the Kappalite 3012LF. You have the older, "top door" design, correct? Open them, remove the BP102 and spacer ring, if it has one, and fill in the holes with wood dough or plastic body filler (Bondo). Get a pair of 3012LF drivers, a pair of spacers and Recex Head screws. The screws look like:
Pre-drill the spacer using the 3012LF as a guide. Using 8 of the Recex screws and 8 flat washers, glue and screw down the spacer. Let it sit for at least 24 hours in a "warm" moist place (laundry room is perfect). Once the PL fully cures, remove the screws and washers, install the 3012LF, torque down the screws, and enjoy! Just upgrading the driver will give you at least +3dB. Still not enough? Build 2 more T39s, as wide as you can transport.

Even going to 24" wide brings large returns in SPL!
+1 DJP :)

According to the SPL charts, a slim T39 is higher in output at both 40Hz and 50Hz (and above) than a Simplexx 18, and will require less power for the same volume, as the T39 is horn loaded and therefore more sensitive.

Retrofitting 3012lf's in your current cabs will yield you an increase of more like +6dB in maximum output, compared to the BP102 (+6dB derived from the T39 SPL charts, S2010 (+20dB at max) vs 3012lf (+26dB at max) )
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...