Question about driver for Simplexx 15 Bass Guitar version

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
mushjoon

Question about driver for Simplexx 15 Bass Guitar version

#1 Post by mushjoon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie with novice woodworking skills who still wants good tone nonetheless.

Since I was planning to play in low A standard, I thought I needed a good cab and asked Bill for recommendation and he recommended Omni 15.

Unfortunately, due to lack of my woodworking skills, the plan for Omni 15 was too daunting for me.

Thus, I decided to go for Simplexx 15.

I currently have 2 Eminence Kappalite 3015 (Not LF). Are these drivers compatible with the design of Simplexx?

And since I'm planning to play in low tuning, I should go for ported version, right? (I understand high SPL and low frequency can't be achieved altogether, so I'll just compensate fundamental frequency for overtone with high pass filter at 40Hz.) Besides, I don't want to burden my speakers too much at low frequency.

Disco-inferno

Re: Question about driver for Simplexx 15 Bass Guitar version

#2 Post by Disco-inferno » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 am

Maximum output will be slightly limited because of the lower X-max but they will be more efficiënt. In a BR cab they are capable of some serious output doen to about 40Hz.

On the other hand the omni15 isn't a very difficult build to tackle I wouldn't discard them altogether. I'd suggest to read the plans a couple of times, the angled cuts really are pretty straightforward and in the end you'll have a nicer cab and the satisfaction of having build them 8)

mushjoon

#3 Post by mushjoon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 am

What's the difference between maximum output and efficiency? Aren't they pretty much the same idea?

Also, the reason why I bought non-LF kappalite is because I didn't want to sacrifice mid-range over this frequency which very few people can hear.

Charles Jenkinson

#4 Post by Charles Jenkinson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 am

mushjoon wrote:What's the difference between maximum output and efficiency? Aren't they pretty much the same idea?

Also, the reason why I bought non-LF kappalite is because I didn't want to sacrifice mid-range over this frequency which very few people can hear.
Drivers can be matched to the plans based on: (a) what drivers are specified in the plans, and (b) the deviations permitted in the plans, with respect to T/S specs and a usual comment about increased midrange response (*). Deviating from either of those 2 brings compromises (but lots of people spend hours trawling different speakers, to never find that midrange bump in anything other than eminence, ...me included)

(*) Midrange being 500hz to 2khz, where typically in these designs the tweeters take over.

Good efficiency is getting plenty output for not much power input. High output however will require higher input where a design is less efficient.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded (http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 30&t=18773)
2xT30 : http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 30&t=20386

No sound is better than bad sound.