Faital pro 12FH520

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Jupiter75

Faital pro 12FH520

#1 Post by Jupiter75 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am

Hello
I am building a simplex 212 at the moment, originally when I bought the plans years ago I was going to use the Eminence 3012HO, however the price for that driver has increased dramatically in my country so when in Rome. Faital pro are considerably cheaper so I was curious about the Faital 12Fh520. The Faital 12pr300 fits nicely into the recommended driver specs and is really cheap so that's probably better.
The dude from a Speaker shop said qts was very important in Bills cabs so I thought I would ask here.
The 12FH520 is 600W, frequency range is 50-4000HZ, Fs 50hz, Qts .29, Vas 64.2. Xmax 7.25mm, Xdamage 19.5mm
MY question is what would the ill effects be using this driver if any as the qts is a bit lower the recommended .30-.55?
From what I could find in regard to other drivers with even lower qts of around .27 you would get less low end extension but with the higher xmax using the EQ more bass can be dialled in to compensate if amp power is available...or something to that effect?
If a low qts means a stronger motor and greater cone control and tighter bass, that might be a good thing? Or not it is?
I couldn't find much info at all about this driver, maybe because its quite expensive in the US and most people would use the 3012ho.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Faital pro 12FH520

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:52 am

That driver will work fine, the main difference between it and a 3012HO is it doesn't have rising midrange response above 2kHz. If you are building with a tweeter that won't matter so much, as the tweeter is responsible for above 2kHz anyway. If you're only using woofers it's not going to have the midrange presence of the 3012HO, or any of the recommended Eminence drivers.

Jupiter75

#3 Post by Jupiter75 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Hey, thanks for the quick reply Bill
Great, I was keen to cut the baffle hole so the 12FH520 is what ill use. I see what you mean about the rising midrange response, looking at the response charts, my Warwick bass does have a strong midrange presence. I was going to see how it sounds without a tweeter but, i did plan to add a tweeter if needed. I can always put in the 3012HO's at a later date if I disapprove of the Faitals. I was more concerned with a castrophic failure scenario.
I was looking at your SLA cabinets and thought making something like that, a vertical 4x3 cab without the tweeters might be better for bass players that use distortion and effects instead of tweeters?
thanks again:)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm

No cab that extends much higher than 5kHz is going to sound good with distortion. That's why you never see guitar cabs that use tweeters or even midranges, and why twelves that drop like a stone above 5kHz remain the preferred guitar drivers.

Jupiter75

#5 Post by Jupiter75 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 am

That is valuable information. Glad i asked, that clears up some mysteries, I don't why but I always assumed without being well informed distortion sounded bad through tweeters due to the mechanical structure and materials used in them....as in they weren't paper cones. I used to use distortion a lot in my first band back in the 1990's, the boss metal zone was great for bass. Not so much anymore but when I do it's so much fun. I was planning to install SPST switch to turn the tweeter off for these moments. The 12FH530 extends to 4000hz, so I'm keen to hear how it sounds like with distortion.
I did have a read through one of your more detailed threads on that subject a while ago , but it was mainly about frequency issue I think as i remember...in response to "why don't guitar cabs use 10's"
Maybe irrelevant but back in the 1990's i remember the bassist from "No means No" used a 4x12 Marshall guitar cab...he was awesome.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:34 am

When you use distortion there's a huge boost in the level of harmonics, on the order of 10dB and more. If you had speakers capable of handling that tenfold increase in high frequency content, which most tweeters won't anyway, it would sound as pleasing as fingernails on a blackboard. The advantage to using twelves for guitar is that they allow the good harmonics below 6kHz to come through strong, while filtering the higher harmonics out. Tens go higher, so they're generally preferred by guitar players who don't use much distortion. The only time you see tweeters for guitar is with an amp made for amplified acoustic, as without the high harmonics they sound dull and lifeless.