On Board Amp

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

On Board Amp

#1 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 pm

This on board amp from Parts Express looks good, at a price that makes sense.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... h--300-798

It could be mounted on just about any of our full range cabs with minor modifications. It has enough power to drive a pair of 8 ohm cabs, so it would be easy enough to install a 4 pole Speakon on the cab containing the amp and one on the extension speaker. Full DSP that includes crossover, EQ and limiting plus Bluetooth makes this a very attractive rig.

tvent

Re: On Board Amp

#2 Post by tvent » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:35 pm

I actually put this in a Simplex TiltBack to use as a 2-input keyboard amp just a couple of weeks ago.
I took a chance on it and ordered it as soon as I saw it on the Parts-Express site.
The DSP is straightforward to use. It seems to be a good match, power wise (The advertised 800 Watt rating is at a 4 Ohm load, but as you pointed out you could hang a Speakon off of it and cascade a 2nd 8 Ohm cab.)
I do wish they had a Mac version of the app, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Also, the inputs and the output are flexible. I like that you can store 5 EQ curves that can be selected with a button on the back - without the need to hook up a computer to it at the gig.

I was going to build it as an airhead and leave the cavity to mount the amp to, but it fit on the back of the regular Tiltback just fine. I just lined it with speaker gasket tape.
It was just a tad bit too long to fit on the top of the Simplex TiltBack - it would have run into the ports.

Oh, and as you mentioned - it has Bluetooth! I actually use this thing all the time now just to listen to music as I work around the house.
The whole thing is under 35 pounds.
So much easier to move around than the Roland KC!

The caveats:
The limiters sounded bad to me when they got hit. I just opted not to use them.
The gain on the Bluetooth seems really hot, so when you turn the volume down on your device, you get a pretty good amount of hiss at low volume. Not an issue once you get it turned up more than a couple of clicks.

I think I will build a 2nd one just like it - that way I can use it as a stereo set or accommodate 2 different keyboard players with up to 2 keyboards each.
So far, everyone that has used it, seen it, and/or heard it has been impressed.

Here are a few photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/36GJf9g2932YZVGfA
Built:
4 x WH10 with 6x melded array
4 x WH8 with 4x melded array
2 x Jack15 with 20x melded array
2 x Simplex 12 w/BGH-25 for Bass Guitar
1 x Simplex Tiltback w/APT-80 for Keys
Bought:
6 x T39 20" 3012LF loaded

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for sharing.
TomS

Askia

#4 Post by Askia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 am

Great!

Radian

#5 Post by Radian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Bill recommending an onboard amp...

Hell hath frozen over.

Good food, good people, good times.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:25 pm

I didn't say I'd use one, just putting this out there for those who want to, now that there's one at a reasonable price.

CoronaOperator

#7 Post by CoronaOperator » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Radian wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm
Bill recommending an onboard amp...

Hell hath frozen over.
I said that when the Simplex line came out. :lol:

Powered speakers make a lot of sense for when you just need to throw up a couple speakers on sticks for announcements or background music/impromptu party, etc. When the full setup isn't necessary or time/packspace/clients budget is scarce.

For the big performance however, an amp rack is better as a control center than running around like a chicken making adjustments on all the speakers ... or correcting the changes all the patrons have made on your speakers. In the rack you can re-patch amps as well and with something like a venue360 you can have wifi remote control of every detail of the system.

Different tools for different scopes of work.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience