SLA Pro Alphalite + THT Slim

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
Radian

SLA Pro Alphalite + THT Slim

#1 Post by Radian »

Hot off the press today... Patched everything together this weekend to ring out the new mixer, and to try out the new balanced speaker tilts from Nid. Plugged the THT in just before recording, hence took no liberties in dialing it in. As it is, it's stepping over the low-end of the SLA somewhat and set a bit too hot...but still managed to avoid cooking the mic this time. T48's are still in the works (pile of ply in the background :oops: ), and would be a much better match for these beauties. Couldn't be happier with the D-Touch 20. Very slick unit.

Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Tom Smit

Re: SLA Pro Alphalite + THT Slim

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
TomS

Seth

#3 Post by Seth »

As usual, your recording is excellent. Loved the detail in the highs and lows, as well as the overall smoothness. Excellent test tracks :thumbsup:

Can't believe you sprung for Nid's mounts. Too cool. Looked at them myself and was dissuaded by the price. How did you like them in contrast to the Eminence TopHat-CH option?

And really... isn't nearly any D-touch a good D-touch? LOL
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Nicely done!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Play some Steely Dan. IMO they put out the best produced recordings and really shine on a good system.

Radian

#6 Post by Radian »

Seth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 pm Loved the detail in the highs and lows, as well as the overall smoothness.
Those output cards from Audio Smile/Behringer Mods. Highly recommended. A while back, ACUA and I spent an entire afternoon listening to them. Threw all sorts of genres at them...and simply could not find fault. Seems they make everything that passes through them sound delicious.

Seth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 pmCan't believe you sprung for Nid's mounts. Too cool. Looked at them myself and was dissuaded by the price. How did you like them in contrast to the Eminence TopHat-CH option?
I've no experience with the TopHat-CH, but like Nid, I too had encountered some difficulties in using the K&M tilt-locks. The BT12 are worth every penny IMO, so easy to use in comparison. Buy once... :oops: Will post an unboxing video of them in the near future.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Radian

#7 Post by Radian »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:40 pm Play some Steely Dan. IMO they put out the best produced recordings and really shine on a good system.
👍 When I get the subs done, will be sure to include them...barring any copy right issues of course. Any favorite/recommended passages?

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You can't do better than anything on Aja.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:48 am You can't do better than anything on Aja.
I used Steely Dan for years for system tuning. But, the lack of low end content compared to today's music moved me to a different tune. My go-to now is Texas by Chris Rea - in the first minute you get the subs engaged and get a nice kick drum after that. It's a little sizzly on the highs, but I know it and take it into account.

Then I'll run a little Steely Dan for the top end and mids......or some Allison Krauss for vocals.

But yeah.....Steely Dan is kinda' the gold standard.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I don't play today's music. 8)

The only thing better than listening to Chuck Rainey and Steve Gadd on Aja on a good system is myself and my drummer of 35 years playing live. :clap:

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:46 am I don't play today's music. 8)

The only thing better than listening to Chuck Rainey and Steve Gadd on Aja on a good system is myself and my drummer of 35 years playing live. :clap:
Ha! Maybe I should have said today's sound systems instead of today's music. Cuz' I don't listen to it either... :D

Just not a lot of content on those old recordings below 60-70hz.

I used to read Roger Nichols' columns every month in Mix magazine. He engineered a lot of the Steely Dan stuff and wrote good columns. Too bad we lost him in 2011.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's not a lot below 60Hz because the electric bass speakers of the day didn't go much below 60Hz. I seldom ventured below A and never played an open E before the 80s. My playing since I had cabs capable of handling the low E without breaking into a sweat is completely different than back then. Instead of going higher, to avoid the dreaded farting out, I go lower, to fill in the low end in a way I could only dream of in the 60s and 70s.