Single Titan 39 used outdoors with band

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
safebet

Single Titan 39 used outdoors with band

#1 Post by safebet »

We all know it's best to use BFM cabs in multiples to obtain maximum performance. Still, I can vouch for the performance of a single T-39.

For a little back story, I started playing with these guys when their drummer left the band. My friend Donnie joined on guitar ironically when the guitar player who recruited me left a year later. With both now using guitar processor front ends, it was easy to talk them into eliminating the back line of amps which then allowed me to mix us from the drum kit using rear facing mains speakers. It's actually all we need for the community and fund raising events where we usually play.

If we're outdoors, I use my Econowave mains and a Titan 39, adding to that mix an overhead mic for the drums and, of course, the kick drum microphone. Simple. It doesn't give the opportunity for fattening the sound with compressors and gates but it does serve for a quick and fairly consistent setup. All of us sing to some degree and we're an all age family oriented band, so out front vocals are paramount over slamming the audience with excessive volume.

It's rare that we get videos of shows but I have some of two occasions at the same location.

The first is most recent but mistakes were made adjusting bass levels...we tried something a little different but I won't get into that for the moment. Here's one of the videos:
https://youtu.be/xEl2jbLqzOY

My wonderful wife took them so unfortunately there are none of when the other guys had lead vocals. She seems to have some kind of bias toward me, I dunno...

And an unlisted, incomplete video from the year before.
https://youtu.be/xNdn4w30qU8

This camera had poor bass pickup but there was great balance at the performance and you can clearly see the T-39 where in the more recent performance, we moved it off to the side. That was the issue really in the video above, we wanted to crank it without killing the bass player, but bringing even a little bit of his small bass cabinet behind him into the sonic picture broke the cardinal rule of not mixing direct radiators and horn systems due to phase issues. I also turned off the approximate 6 dB/octave boost from 180Hz to 75Hz I usually run on my Econowaves when they're hoisted into the air. We saved time by setting them on the ground this last year.

I guess I should add this classic:
https://youtu.be/wU-3g1ujdwM

I'd like to be as those who say " I kept the voltage to around 3-5 volts the whole night" but that ain't the case. The kick drum is the offender where I typically try to ride at -6 to -3 dB before the limiter hits. Still, never an issue limited to 50 volts where I keep it set for my Tuba 30 pair, all I do is drop 10Hz with the latter.

I can think of no other single 12" driven cabinet that would suffice as well as the Titan 39.

Finally, here's a picture of it at another annual gig we do:
Attachments
WrongRoad.jpg
2 x T30 23" -3012LF v-plate
2 x Econowave Deluxe HO (awesome custom tops using 3012HO and B&C DE250 on QSC horn)
1 x T39 25" -3012LF
1 x Autotuba -Tang Band

"No Toby, I said a PHILLIPS screwdriver..." (Used Cars, 1980)

Chris_Allen

Re: Single Titan 39 used outdoors with band

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

There's only one thing better than a T39...

...two T39's. :D

I do enjoy bands when all of them sing, adds so much more depth.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

shawn_g

#3 Post by shawn_g »

Sounds great. :clap:

CoronaOperator

#4 Post by CoronaOperator »

safebet wrote: Here's one of the videos:
https://youtu.be/xEl2jbLqzOY
Looks like you guys have it pretty rough being forced to play outside like that. I guess all you can do is grin and bear it. :wink:

Good job!
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

safebet

#5 Post by safebet »

CoronaOperator wrote:
Looks like you guys have it pretty rough being forced to play outside like that. I guess all you can do is grin and bear it. :wink:
Yeah, we're troopers so we tough it out.

Of course, outdoor gigs aren't so great if the sky opens up dumps on you. Plus we only get about 6 weeks of summer in Maine so we'll graciously accept any break we can get! For the record though it was an AWESOME day :D

BTW, this is the first band I've ever been in where I'm constantly telling the guitar players to TURN UP! :wink: