Pair Jack12L's and T30's - Bolton's Big Day Out

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
Charles Jenkinson

Pair Jack12L's and T30's - Bolton's Big Day Out

#1 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Here's a few videos from today's big day out. Indeed it was for me - first time both subs have been used together, since being built 18 months ago. A few setting up issues - i don't do it often enough. What threw me was a mate bringing a different mixer and the limiting set-up proved too much for me with only half an hour left - fannying about with an old laptop that takes 10 minutes to boot up to get the signal generator going - all PITA stuff I can't be doing at gig time. So I had to risk running with my 'living room' pre-set (on the 'new' mixer), which was setup some 18 months ago on my mixer with limiting and crossovers, and auto-eq'd today on that setup and saved as a new user setting, and it worked, eventually - the mono-ing on the tops was also a bit screwy - think I might need an XLR lead tester, to eliminate concerns there. When the pressure had gone, I eventually saw the 'volts AC' setting on the multimeter and had a doh! / what's that there for moment (...'volts DC' hadn't work), ...and worked out the subs were running up to around 20V max. I need to practice set-up and configuring more. A few more channels on my mixer would be better, then no-one can say "oh, I'll bring my mixer, because we can put everything through that" It turned out not to have any more functionality than mine. Lessons learned. I need more gear though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735beG6 ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkNoyo ... e=youtu.be

Anyway, feedback welcome.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Pair Jack12L's and T30's - Bolton's Big Day Out

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Wonderful!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

You did fine Charles. The video also shows how far off to the sides the highs go. :)
TomS

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

:clap: :hyper:

Sounds fantastic Charles!
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

88h88

#5 Post by 88h88 »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:I need to practice set-up and configuring more.
Setting stuff up for the first time in a non-piss about manner is always a nightmare and even getting ready to haul things can be an exercise in frustration. If you're setting up outdoors like you did then at least placement of speakers is relatively straightforward, try doing it in small rooms next time if you want extra fun in learning about the joys of sub placement!

But yeah, the first time I set things up I made sure I could get into the venue EARLY to try and give me time to piss about getting things placed properly and sounding good, and to give me more time to fix mistakes like the one where we had brought vinyl decks but had no vinyl on us to actually test them. :wall: You learn as you go along.

Sounds great though!
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Charles Jenkinson

#6 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Thanks guys.

It was EQ'd flat, and it was windy on the day. Just sounded a bit harsh to me.

Hence now why I'm asking myself questions about EQ'ing setup on the day, including RTA. i.e. Should one use a foam (thingy bob) on measurement mics, outside? The DBX RTA doesn't come with one.
Cheers. C
2xT30

88h88

#7 Post by 88h88 »

Yeah always use a foam tip (wind screen) on an RTA mic as you're trying to stop as much wind noise as possible being sent through to the bit of your kit doing the analysing.

Ideally they'd come with one of these:

...which eliminates all but the windiest wind and is still clear for audio to pass through. Here's a good video that shows the difference it'll make...

https://youtu.be/NT91I-bP9kg

Charles Jenkinson

#8 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Hmm, Baker Street, interesting choice. I like to quote an old band mate on saxophones - it involves grease and shuvving...

OTOH, why isn't anyone selling big hairy wind shields for RTAing outdoors? I'd have thought there'd be good low frequency content in wind noise...
2xT30

Charles Jenkinson

#9 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rycote-065514-U ... B008EUH59W

Which I think would work with a dbx rta.

I like the 2nd review:
It's like a cute little dead kitten, that hates the wind. Having a fluffy black pom-pom makes the presenter look like some kind of goth clown, but it's worth it to not have as much wind rumble.
2xT30

88h88

#10 Post by 88h88 »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:Hmm, Baker Street, interesting choice. I like to quote an old band mate on saxophones - it involves grease and shuvving...

OTOH, why isn't anyone selling big hairy wind shields for RTAing outdoors? I'd have thought there'd be good low frequency content in wind noise...
I assume because they expect electrical equipment to be used indoors? My Behringer ECM8000 came with a crappy foam wind shield. It doesn't work very well as like you say, there's a fair whack of low end in wind noise. Makes for some interesting adjustments from the DEQ.

Charles Jenkinson

#11 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I've emailed rycote asking about windjammer products for auto-eq mics used with DSP systems, and frequency response of the same.
2xT30

Boyd

#12 Post by Boyd »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:Here's a few videos from today's big day out. Indeed it was for me - first time both subs have been used together, since being built 18 months ago. A few setting up issues - i don't do it often enough. What threw me was a mate bringing a different mixer and the limiting set-up proved too much for me with only half an hour left - fannying about with an old laptop that takes 10 minutes to boot up to get the signal generator going - all PITA stuff I can't be doing at gig time. So I had to risk running with my 'living room' pre-set (on the 'new' mixer), which was setup some 18 months ago on my mixer with limiting and crossovers, and auto-eq'd today on that setup and saved as a new user setting, and it worked, eventually - the mono-ing on the tops was also a bit screwy - think I might need an XLR lead tester, to eliminate concerns there. When the pressure had gone, I eventually saw the 'volts AC' setting on the multimeter and had a doh! / what's that there for moment (...'volts DC' hadn't work), ...and worked out the subs were running up to around 20V max. I need to practice set-up and configuring more. A few more channels on my mixer would be better, then no-one can say "oh, I'll bring my mixer, because we can put everything through that" It turned out not to have any more functionality than mine. Lessons learned. I need more gear though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735beG6 ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkNoyo ... e=youtu.be

Anyway, feedback welcome.
If you're using the same processor/amp/cab combo, you shouldn't have to change the limiter setting at all (assuming it has been set correctly in the first place) - a different mixer (or any other upstream gear) is irrelevant to the limiter setting.

You may however have to adjust the input gain on the processor so the levels you see on the mixer are consistent with the levels on the processor.
Built:

2x Titan 48 18" wide 3012LF loaded
2x Otop 12 J-Array 3012HO Melded

Building:

2x Titan 48 36" 3015LF