XF 4X10 samples compared to tradtional 4X10 guitar cab

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
Dan56

XF 4X10 samples compared to tradtional 4X10 guitar cab

#1 Post by Dan56 »

I have put up a video of my XF cabinet comparing it to the original cab. These are both closed back cabs. You can view it here:
http://youtu.be/7xcCaacIxdk

I explain the setup in the beginning. I use a simple 3 chord pattern consistently. You will hear initially each cab, both mics, off axis then on axis. Next I spliced the video so each cab/mic setting is heard back to back. Last I add some distortion.

I have to say, the differences heard via the mic's for the XF cab is not quite what is heard "live". In walking around the room, the sound from the cab is much more similar than the mic's suggest. The only really difference live is a bit of a volume change and that is not as noticeable as you hear in the recording. I assume it has to do with having 2 ears recording off center verses one mic recording off center. :lol: This cab has a much more balanced tone to it where as the original cab is rather midrangey (if that's a word) and brighter. I would say it is as different as an opened back cab verse a closed back cab. I would have never realized it without having the XF to compare too.

If I have misstated anything in the video intro, please let me know and I will correct it via a speak bubble.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: XF 4X10 samples compared to tradtional 4X10 guitar cab

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Dan56 wrote:I have to say, the differences heard via the mic's for the XF cab is not quite what is heard "live". In walking around the room, the sound from the cab is much more similar than the mic's suggest. The only really difference live is a bit of a volume change and that is not as noticeable as you hear in the recording. I assume it has to do with having 2 ears recording off center verses one mic recording off center. :lol:
It mostly has to do with the small room, where a lot of what's heard is reflections. The way to test them is outdoors, recording both with the mic 30 degrees off-axis. That's where the differences will be most obvious.

Dan56

Re: XF 4X10 samples compared to tradtional 4X10 guitar cab

#3 Post by Dan56 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:It mostly has to do with the small room, where a lot of what's heard is reflections. The way to test them is outdoors, recording both with the mic 30 degrees off-axis. That's where the differences will be most obvious.
Hadn't thought about the size of the room. But, it's too late now. I'm not going to pull the speakers and mount them back in the old cab to get new samples outside. :lol:

I was mostly hoping to simply capture the overall tonal difference of the 2 cabs and their response on and off axis. I could be wrong, but I think that is what most players want to know when making a decision.

Let me just say, for those considering this cab, the overall sound in the room was much fuller. It was as if I was pumping it though the PA (which we do even during practice). We're practicing Tuesday, so I'll have more to report then.

I think the video shows that the tonal difference is much less of a change with the FX than the traditional cab when moving from off center. Plus, to me the FX has a much clearer/cleaner sound of all the notes. It is not as harsh sounding as the traditional cab. I noticed that the effects are more defined (reverb, delay, chorus) with the FX. The difference was similar to what I heard when I went from having them at the end of the pedal chain through the front of the amp to via the effects loop.

Overall, it was a much more pleasing sound from the FX. I did not do it for the video because I wanted the setting not to have changed between cabs, but after I got the samples, I played with my distortion pedals and was able to take them down a bit to get what I wanted.

Next up, is using the V4 head with it. It's in great, like new condition guts wise and they have great clean tones.

I'll eventually have some video of the FX cab with the band when we play out. That will give a more performance comparison to videos of the band with the old cab. Though it will still not be purely the cabs as both will be through the PA.