My first real outing with the rig, looking for critique

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
Dan56

My first real outing with the rig, looking for critique

#1 Post by Dan56 »

I am posting these videos not so much to show off the speakers but to get peoples thoughts and suggestions for improvement in running this system.

This past weekend was the first real outing with the rig. Friday night only my board, rack and amps were used and I did not get to do much but learn from a pro. The prior weekend I used our rig, but as it went everything was a cluster f#$%. But at least I got to understand it for this past weekend and not be to uncertain of what I was doing.

The setting is a 50 x 100 tent set up on a parking lot. ECHOOOOOOOOOOO.

Friday night the pro had the eq on the DBX set such that almost every thing above around 400 was cut 3 to 4 db. I thought it lost some presence. But it was thumping. Also interesting, he knows the singer and thus wanted full reverb with a long hang. No delay.

So, my band's turn was Saturday afternoon. The rig was 2 OT 12's, 2 T39's plated all run off 1 Peavey IPR 5000 via a Driverack. I used my Behringer V-verb Pro with a bit of reverb and some delay to add feel of being in a stadium. I ran 4 monitor feeds. The drums were mic'd and the high hat. The Leslie has 2 mics on it. The Yamaha piano is DI'd. The 2 guitars run via Radial JDX's DI's and the bass was via his line out. 4 vocal mics, one doubles for harmonica. All through an A & H GL2400 board.

New to me for these past 2 outings is the A & H board having a 4 band EQ section vs 3, running 4 monitors (had been using 2 ear feeds), feeding the bass through the system and running 3 amps. After dialing in the Driverack EQ using a few recorded tunes I had about 30 (I think) minutes to get all the mics set and everyone's volume on their monitors set while trying to figure out why something that should be happening wasn't. Like why my effect was not showing it was getting a signal and why the main/subs had no sound. The amp was off!

So, with that back ground, please let me know what you think I can do to make it better.
Please excuse the musician errors. Also, youtube does cut some of the sound so that the overall mix is not as strong as if you could hear the sound files directly. The harmonica and organ are louder than they appear in the youtube and the vocals are more present, less behind sounding. However, the clarity is just amazing. And yes, people were commenting how far away we were being heard.

This is Pretzel Logic. It is toward the end of the first set. I had been jumping off that stage numerous times during the set to tweak stuff.
http://youtu.be/AWY1SPJCW8Y

I don't think the volume is too bad and we're fairly blended. The vocals are clear, but sound behind the instruments. I don't know if that might be the recorder as I don't recall hearing them that way.

The next 4 are in the order played for the 2nd set. They are 4 different tunes as to styles so you can hear the range of what the system needs to do.
All Right Now http://youtu.be/RNR_2G0wBtE
Born to be Wild http://youtu.be/-HTuhnvLZVU
I'm the Only One http://youtu.be/WrGPQW4_ESc (a little call/answer at the end)
Long Train Running http://youtu.be/-6Z5by0_SEw You hear the harmonica and keys. Keys were weak here and I'm not sure why.

In All Right Now and Long Train (toward end) you can hear just the drums as to how I have them set. I try to get a more natural sound vs a disco DJ bass boom.

The hardest is the organ. The Leslie is sensitive as to it's volume control, it is hard to find a level not too loud but enough to drive the mics without having them up too high and also so that Marcel does not think he is playing too loud which he was thinking most of the time. At the first gig, the cluster F, he was too loud compared to the band at times.

So, that's my story. Any suggestions, advice, critiques are welcomed. For us, we thought we did rather well. At least it was fun.

Bruce Weldy

Re: My first real outing with the rig, looking for critique

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I think it sounded great. Good job.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Radian

#3 Post by Radian »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I think it sounded great. Good job.
+1 :P
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Scott Brochu

#4 Post by Scott Brochu »

Sounded great. :clap:
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

That's a really nice vocal tone and the blend between backline and PA is very very good.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Dan56

#6 Post by Dan56 »

Thank you everyone. It is much appreciated from guys that do sound on a regular basis. The only down side to this system is that every mistake is well heard now.

dswpro

#7 Post by dswpro »

Looks like my rig, down to the same amp rack and a pair of Peavey IPR amps.
Sounds very nice. Good Job.
Attachments
amprack1.jpg

Dan56

#8 Post by Dan56 »

dswpro wrote:Looks like my rig, down to the same amp rack and a pair of Peavey IPR amps.
Sounds very nice. Good Job.
Ah yes. I just need to fill my last spot with one more amp. I'm thinking another IPR1600 to run the monitors. Then when I build 1 more set of speakers I'll be all set. Run the tops off the 3000 and the subs off the 5000. If needed. :wink: