Video of my T39's and OT 12's

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
Dan56

Video of my T39's and OT 12's

#1 Post by Dan56 »

I made a video to demo an EQ I'm selling and it sounded rather good so I figured I would share it here.
This is the link: http://youtu.be/HO4rFmrDn_o

There are video's on youtube of BFM's stuff, but a lot are out doors showing the clarity and volume over a distance, or short and distorted inside. The way I recorded this, it sound almost like I took it off the board as oppose to the mics. Thus I think it gives a good indication of just what these speakers are capable of. Plus, in doing the demo I'm moving the sliders so you get to hear how the speakers respond. I move them in batches, so it's like boosting or cutting the low, mid and high one at a time.

I used my Zoom H2 recorder which does very well for what it is and feed that into the Zoom Q3HD video recorder. The Q3 does ok, but you only have 3 fixed settings for gain. High, low and Auto. Auto sucks. Low works when the band is playing and high can get overloaded easily. Plus the H2 has better mics. I'm going to be recording our gigs this way from now on. Next on the list is a better camera to run the H2 into.

This is performed in our practice room. It is a fairly dead room as rooms go. At the end of the video I scan the room to show the speakers. You can see by the position they are set for us to hear when we practice. The H2 was set back and kind of between the 2 OT 12's. One side is a bit stronger as it is pointed more directly at the mic of the recorder. I am playing Bodhisattva by Steely Dan off the computer, into our board out to the speakers via a Crown 802 for the subs and a Peavey 1500 IPR for the tops. The EQ is connected via the main inserts. It's a DBX drive rack.

The left/right balance will be a bit off because of the mic placement and playing with the gains on the EQ.

Let me know what you think. I was uncertain of where to post this. If you think this sounds rather good, them I'm thinking of repeating this (without the EQ) using the BFM's and then the QSC's we have. I can do one set up, and just change the speakers, make sure the overall db's are the same and use the same song. I think I can get a good BFM vs QSC video up in a way that keeps the test parameters the same using this recording method.

Grant Bunter

Re: Video of my T39's and OT 12's

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Mate,
There's a sub topic called Youtube links, that where it might have been placed :)

At least to me, it's breaking up all over the place and is pretty quiet.

But it does demonstrate the full functionality of the unit and otherwise is a nice demo...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Dan56

#3 Post by Dan56 »

Grant Bunter wrote:Mate,
There's a sub topic called Youtube links, that where it might have been placed :)

At least to me, it's breaking up all over the place and is pretty quiet.

But it does demonstrate the full functionality of the unit and otherwise is a nice demo...
Well your wish is the command. Someone moved it to the appropriate place. Next time I'll look at the list better.

Breaking up? Not on my computers with a set of those plug in speakers with a sub. On my Lenovo all in one, it sound thin and cheap. But it has speakers like most of todays flat screen TV, basically crap. Did you try some headphones?

There are parts that are quite, but if you turn it up, you'll feel the bass.

Ryan A

#4 Post by Ryan A »

Sounds good to me. Thanks for taking the time to do this...

Those are definitely some large T39's @ 4:00! How do you fancy moving them (now that you built them do you wish you built slimmer or are you happy with their size/performance ratio)?

Dan56

#5 Post by Dan56 »

Ryan A wrote:Sounds good to me. Thanks for taking the time to do this...

Those are definitely some large T39's @ 4:00! How do you fancy moving them (now that you built them do you wish you built slimmer or are you happy with their size/performance ratio)?
Thanks Ryan. I hope others respond and Grant can give me a bit more specificity. I need the feed back so I can make adjustments and then do the comparison video. So far in doing that, I don't know if I should put the Ksubs together or keep them separate as that is how QSC states to set them up to make it a valid comparison. Opinions anyone?

The T39's are 28" wide with the Kappalites. I weighed my cabs and posted it here: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 30&t=21969

They are 80 lbs. Moving them is not a problem really. They are bulky, but not heavy. I can stack one on the other. Though, using one of the other speakers might change my mind. The Ksubs are listed as 74 lbs, but they feel heavier. The wheels make it easy.

I wanted the most out of this pair as we play outside often thus the 28". Couple hundred people maybe outside. I have yet to use both of them at a gig but the opportunity is coming the beginning of October and I just made the plate. Using one in small rooms (20/25 X 40) facing the wall is way more than enough. Facing a wall keeps it out of the way too. Thus, so far my decision to build them wide is the right one. Plus, transportation is not an issue for us. We bought a trailer.

I hope to build another full set of OT's and T39's next year, but the T39's will be narrower just to give me some flexibility.

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

Well, after a second listen at another time:
No break up this listen.
Still quiet. I had to turn up the volume on my speakers.

And a observation: people will just ignore your ad/demo in regards to selling if they have to plug in headphones to listen to it...
Built:

Dan56

#7 Post by Dan56 »

Grant Bunter wrote:Well, after a second listen at another time:
No break up this listen.
Still quiet. I had to turn up the volume on my speakers.

And a observation: people will just ignore your ad/demo in regards to selling if they have to plug in headphones to listen to it...
Yes, it was recorded low, but I wanted to leave some room to play with the gain during the demo and knowing moving the sliders the volume would change. This was the first time recording this way so I was not sure how the gain on the recorder would react with the video. I'll keep it in mind when I do the comparison of the speakers. There won't be anything changing but the speakers.

Regarding selling, I put this up as part of the listing on Ebay. I don't expect people to just casually listen of find it. I figure most listening are just there to hear that when the knobs are turned and the sliders slide something changes. :lol:

Thanks Grant.

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

But it does demonstrate the full functionality of the unit and otherwise is a nice demo
Hehe, said it again.

Cool, if it was meant to be quiet, you achieved that.

I just wonder, now it's recorded distortion free, can you up the gain in the youtube vid somehow?
Built:

Dan56

#9 Post by Dan56 »

Grant Bunter wrote:
I just wonder, now it's recorded distortion free, can you up the gain in the youtube vid somehow?
I was checking the video at my home computer that has a real old set of powered Creative Lab speakers but a rather good sound card. I had the video up to 82 dbs. The poor little sub was struggling.

I could have compressed it some with the program that comes with the video camera before uploading. It would have added some to it.

Ryan A

#10 Post by Ryan A »

Its plenty loud, Grant.

If you listen to more than the first 30 seconds when he adjusts the EQ settings it makes a big difference. Its called dynamic range, which some cameras and microphones are incapable of. His works well in my opinion.

Grant Bunter

#11 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ryan A wrote:Its plenty loud, Grant.

If you listen to more than the first 30 seconds when he adjusts the EQ settings it makes a big difference. Its called dynamic range, which some cameras and microphones are incapable of. His works well in my opinion.
Well, I listened to the whole clip, more than once.
I by and large run my volume setting on my crappy inscreen speakers on low, just above power on, and haven't had to adjust that for well over a year for any other clip off youtube (or any other programme). And I had to turn up the volume to have Dan's clip at an equivalent volume to what I normally hear.

Dynamic range or not, my multiple viewings of the clip lead to my statement it is quiet, compared to everything else.

Sorry for the side step...
Built: