Tuba60 Videos (we need more of them) :P

Post links to youtube videos of your cabs.
Forum rules
Only links to videos of our cabs are allowed. You tube only, no facebook.
zefrenm

Tuba60 Videos (we need more of them) :P

#1 Post by zefrenm »

So even with too minor leaks, and a hastily installed driver, a made a short video of my build of a Tuba 60. Due to financials, we went with the 15' Peavey lo rider and sadly also the "marketing gimmicks". But It will work, but now i see how the recommended driver wouldn't use so much power and probably not blow out the cone as we're predicting will happen in about a year.

:noob: (how i felt when she came to life....)

Zefren Anderson
Bass enthusiasts
Last edited by zefrenm on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“With much respect and honor Dear sir … The size of the Tuba 60 is of non consequence, I rather do love bass and bass rather loves size, so save the “its too big comments” … thank you :)

bassmonster

Re: Tuba60 Videos (we need more of them) :P

#2 Post by bassmonster »

1. Welcome to the forum!

2. Make sure all leaks are sealed!! Running cabs without an airtight driver chamber is one of the fastest routes to a blown driver.

Edit: Also, performance is greatly impacted with air leaks, so the response will not be on par with a properly built cabinet (it won't be as loud as it's supposed to be). Please don't post videos of the cabs if they do not accurately represent Bill's designs and how powerful they actually are when built properly.

zefrenm

#3 Post by zefrenm »

I would think, 1: sub par driver, 2:to air leak purposely left open (panel12) 3:I have 24 sq inches of gasket area on the metal work sealing the driver chamber, 4: Driver chamber is double chalked. 5: I've been mastering 78RPM records for years and understand "real" dynamic range and eq control.

that....

given the two major "defects" your pointing out, Bill's design is still outperforming the two Cerwin vega 18's we've used previously with higher amp levels, And I've never heard a practically flat response from 125 to 15Hz before given the "defects". The video may not sound powerful because i as a person vilify "clipped" recordings, so to compensated for the dynamic range the tuba gives out and to record the sound un-clipped, so that made me run the microphone at 25%.
so...
For the first 30 years of of 78rpm records it was a struggle between amplitude, surface noise and dynamic range. Thinking of that, Simply put, the bass is so strong when properly recorded in it's virgin state, that all the mids and highs are forced to hover in the -50 to -96 dB range. To me that's is the greatest WOW.
Attachments
the wow
the wow
“With much respect and honor Dear sir … The size of the Tuba 60 is of non consequence, I rather do love bass and bass rather loves size, so save the “its too big comments” … thank you :)

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

I hope you get to really enjoy the cab once everything is properly in place. I do understand that the sub in the video was not-quite-there, yet.

Glad you enjoyed the build so far. Anymore to come?
TomS

zefrenm

#5 Post by zefrenm »

Tom Smit wrote:I hope you get to really enjoy the cab once everything is properly in place. I do understand that the sub in the video was not-quite-there, yet.

Glad you enjoyed the build so far. Anymore to come?
thanks, I'm going to be starting another one as soon as i go to homedepot :P, Guy Lombardo's Auld lang syne will never sound so good at our New Years eve Rave. :D

subharmonic

#6 Post by subharmonic »

@zefrenm
How wide is you build?

Also can you do a video with some bass in it?

Thanks
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

zefrenm

#7 Post by zefrenm »

subharmonic wrote:@zefrenm
How wide is you build?

Also can you do a video with some bass in it?

Thanks
24" inches on the inside width, 25.5 cab width

Is there a special way to record bass? The microphone recorded 50 Hz peaks with subharmonics going well below 15Hz, I used high pass fliter on the recording because nothing was usible below 20Hz(the room shaking and vibrating), there's is a 0dB peak at 50Hz,the only way to makes the bass more powerful is running a compression or limiting fliter but that's contray to the piont of the video. :?:
Last edited by zefrenm on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subharmonic

#8 Post by subharmonic »

I was thinking of something other than ragtime. Maybe have the dj this was built for play something.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

zefrenm

#9 Post by zefrenm »

subharmonic wrote:I was thinking of something other than ragtime. Maybe have the dj this was built for play something.
Lol well ragtime and techno are the same in my eyes relatives in fact,and Ragtime will always be properly recorded for full dymanic range and usable harmonics down to 5 Hz, something modern electro tech doesn't do because of industry wide practices of bad mastering and compression.I have rarely encountered a Techno track that doesn't have poor bass centering or good use of dynamic range between the lows and the rest of the sound. But I'll remaster a techno song for the next video with a spl meter handy as suggested :D thanks for the feed back.

zefrenm

#10 Post by zefrenm »

Okay all the leaks are sealed and a 50 hour break-in done with so... How will She perform? 20 tracks chosen for historical significance and examples of bass from 1917 to 2011

With Broadcast compression "on"
http://youtu.be/KfT4lQpOa3c

With Broadcast compression "off"
http://youtu.be/BSn0oizGxFs

Attachments
I'm, beyond happy
I'm, beyond happy

matt996

#11 Post by matt996 »

Coooool.

And thank you for producing an uncompressed version. The world of music needs more people like you!

el_ingeniero

#12 Post by el_ingeniero »

please, please, please, can you tell me some resources for info on remastering old 78 RPM recordings? Every commercial release of Argientine tango music from before 1951 is remastered from 78, so I've got skin in the game. I've been playing with remastering them for years, but never gotten the type of results that justifies the effort.

zefrenm

#13 Post by zefrenm »

Two tuba 60 at a Gig

The final sound and light Test for Icey a Winter rave in the Four corners. It was cold and only a few people braved the cold, we had fun and was more happy to bring the whole event together and plan to host more events.

VJ Zef - on visuals and DMX contol, DJ Triforce playing hardstyle and Dupstep, MyeTye with tech house and DJ Smash with club.

Can't wait until next years Icey, :D

the subwoofer or the pair in this case are tuba60 loaded horn subs with a 15ft throat length with supreme performance from 100Hz to 10Hz. And we will never go commercial cabs again after hearing them together live.

DJ Higgumz

#14 Post by DJ Higgumz »

zefrenm wrote:And we will never go commercial cabs again after hearing them together live.
what r you talking about? these are the most commercial cabs i've seen! 'commercial' is just a fancy term for efficient and durable. so is 'fitzmaurice'
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

DJ Higgumz wrote:['commercial' is just a fancy term for efficient and durable.
Commercial is more a way of saying "mass-produced and marketed by a large company." Most commercial cabs are not incredibly efficient, and almost as many aren't that durable either.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.