myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

Post your build odyssey here.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

#421 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

myn wrote:
As mentioned previously it's currently sitting in an unideal location for a horn, next to my LLT
Very unideal, as the LLT will sympathetically resonate, causing response zits. Hie it hence. You may find no need to corner load, as it appears your room is very tight and you're getting plenty of cabin gain down low. You will want to move the cab about while doing an RTA to find its sweet spot.

AntonZ

#422 Post by AntonZ »

Rickisan wrote:Now that you mention it the "Ringing" I experience has a fundamental frequency quite similar to a crash cymbal. Ah well I've learned to live with it... the ringing isn't so bad it's not being able to understand conversations in noisy places that's a pain. Like in a bar... how can you talk up a Bird if you can't understand her???
:fingers:
Body language?
:fruit:

Rickisan

#423 Post by Rickisan »

Yeah good point... I gotta start paying closer attention to what my eyes are telling me. It's quite simple really. Thanks for the reminder... :owned:
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

CafSentryGnome

#424 Post by CafSentryGnome »

lack of attention to body language is the reason why i'm single now and not getting married at the end of the year.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#425 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CafSentryGnome wrote:lack of attention to body language is the reason why i'm single now and not getting married at the end of the year.
Look on the bright side. You're single and not getting married at the end of the year.

Scott Brochu

#426 Post by Scott Brochu »

Learn to read lips, but it will show her that you are paying attention cause you need to look at her. :mrgreen:

Something you learn when playing with in ear monitors and the band turns around to tell you what they are playing next :slap: Talk into the mic :P
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

leamy_f

#427 Post by leamy_f »

[quote]Re: myn's Tuba HT Build Thread
Now that you mention it the "Ringing" I experience has a fundamental frequency quite similar to a crash cymbal. Ah well I've learned to live with it... the ringing isn't so bad it's not being able to understand conversations in noisy places that's a pain. Like in a bar... how can you talk up a Bird if you can't understand her??? Re: myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

NIHL (noise induced hearing loss) and the often resultant tinnitus are insidious reminders of the noisy enviroment we live in today. For anyone involved with producing high levels of sound and that is just about everybody who is into speaker construction I would implore you to visit the web site of the American Tinnitus Association
. remember this condition can creep up on you so slowly that you will not notice it until it's to late and for a lot of people the result can be utter devastation, suicidal tendencies and depression, and I know I've been there.

Rickisan

#428 Post by Rickisan »

It crept up on me exactly like you said. One night I'm laying in bed after a gig and holy crap I notice my ears are ringing really loudly! Not good. From then on I start to notice when around loud music it is actually painful and after an hour or so the sound begins to smear and distort. Oh lordy... so not good.

I stopped playing completely for 4 or 5 years several different times. Play a year or so with a band and then quit for another couple years.

The mind is a powerful thing and I've learned to live with the ringing. Dont even notice it now unless I'm thinking about it... so .... I'm playing again and wearing protection. Playing is to much fun to give up for a little 4k tone in the ear... ha ha....

A person just starting to cope with Tinnitus should hang in there... it will get better and more tolerable as the body adjusts... I'm gonna check out the Tinnitus website thanks for the link.

:cowboy:
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

bitSmasher

#429 Post by bitSmasher »

leamy_f wrote:suicidal tendencies
Seeing them gave me tinnitus.

PassingInterest

#430 Post by PassingInterest »

Thanks for the detailed build thread, Mynym.
All I can say is, "Wow!"
I mean really WOW!
Just, WOW!
Uh oh, somebody help me.
I think I'm stuck on "WOW!"
WOW!

WB

#431 Post by WB »

PassingInterest wrote: WOW!
Seems more than passing interest. :D
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

PassingInterest

#432 Post by PassingInterest »

WB wrote:
PassingInterest wrote: WOW!
Seems more than passing interest. :D
Yes, but I'm not ready to admit that it's become an obsession. :mrgreen:

WB

#433 Post by WB »

PassingInterest wrote:Yes, but I'm not ready to admit that it's become an obsession. :mrgreen:
Denial is stage two. You're well on your way. :twisted:
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

mktheater

#434 Post by mktheater »

Myn, how low do these THT's go? They are tuned to 22 hz? I would build 3-4 of these at 36 inches wide or 2 more DTS-10's. The DTS-10's easily reach to single digits in my room and at very high SPL's. Mine are flat to 7hz in room.

MJ79

#435 Post by MJ79 »

jcmbowman wrote:
LelandCrooks wrote:Epoxy, epoxy, epoxy. I used gorilla glue twice on other projects. I think it's worthless. 5 minute epoxy on tee nuts, on the barrel and washer part. Pull up snug. Let dry for 10 or 15 minutes, run a tap. Never fails. You have to tear the top ply where the washer is glued and the internal bond to break it loose. I can pull with a 3/8 ratchet with a hex driver, hard, and they never budge.

Cut the tee nut out. Install a new one using EPOXY.
+100!

Out of the 120+ hurricane nuts I've installed so far I've managed to spin about 15 of them. The worst was the access cover that had 2 spin when I was trying to take it off..... but that's another story. I had some 5-minute epoxy laying around about a month ago when I was trying to fix another one and I figured what's the worst that could happen? Since then I've never had a problem. And if any of the old ones get loose - I'll just epoxy them. problem solved.

This is what you guys are talking about , correct?

http://loctiteproducts.com/products/det ... 9&plid=759