myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

Post your build odyssey here.
myn

Re: myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

#61 Post by myn »

[== 6/30/2009 ==]

So finally Panel 3 is installed.. This by far has been the panel from hell. All is well now though. I test fit the driver with the socket caps. Fits perfectly and no obstruction from any hurricane nuts.

Also a quick tip I thought I'd share. For slow asses like myself that only use a bit of PL every other day, the way I preserve it is by using a spare Nitrile glove an elastic band. Not sure how everyone else does it but this method seems to work for me.

WB

#62 Post by WB »

myn wrote: Also a quick tip I thought I'd share. For slow asses like myself that only use a bit of PL every other day, the way I preserve it is by using a spare Nitrile glove an elastic band. Not sure how everyone else does it but this method seems to work for me.
I stick a medium length wood screw in the nozzle.
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

Scott Brochu

#63 Post by Scott Brochu »

16 penny nail for me
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

WB

#64 Post by WB »

I like the screw because the the PL hardens on the threads and pulls out like a custom fit plug. It leaves a clean nozzle ready to use. Never used a nail before, might act the same way though.
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

Scott Brochu

#65 Post by Scott Brochu »

WB wrote:I like the screw because the the PL hardens on the threads and pulls out like a custom fit plug. It leaves a clean nozzle ready to use. Never used a nail before, might act the same way though.
I might try that way next time if I can remember. :mrgreen:
What size screw do you use? 3" wood screw?
How big do you clip your tube tip?
Last edited by Scott Brochu on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#66 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I use a cheap phillips screwdriver, periodically removing dried PL with pliers.

David Carter

#67 Post by David Carter »

Scott Brochu wrote:
WB wrote:I like the screw because the the PL hardens on the threads and pulls out like a custom fit plug. It leaves a clean nozzle ready to use. Never used a nail before, might act the same way though.
I might try that way next time if I can remember. :mrgreen:
What size screw do you use? 3" wood screw?
How big do you clip your tube tip?
3 1/2" decking screw. Clip the tube just big enough for the screw to fit snugly through the hole.
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

myn

#68 Post by myn »

[== 7/1/2009 ==]

I did some test fitting today on Panel 4 today. It appears some of my Araucoply panels are warped. I am not sure if it was because I was storing it vertical or what. In any case the result of the test fitting is below. I have since stored them in a horizontal orientation.

Looks like I'll be making use of some guideboards screwed to the face to see if I can straighten it out enough where I can secure it to the adjacent panels.

Any other tips on getting these unwarped??

DJPhatman

#69 Post by DJPhatman »

myn, what are you using to hold the panels together while the PL cures?
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#70 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

An eighth inch of warping won't bother fifteen to seventy five foot wavelengths all that much. :mrgreen:
If they bother you use a guideboard to pull them out until you fasten the joint.

maxmercy

#71 Post by maxmercy »

Had the same thing happen with my BB ply. Just clamp a straight board to the panel as the PL cures, or before you nail/screw it in place...

Looking good. Looks like you are taking your time and doing it right...don't rush. My THT and SLAs took over 7 months to finish....

JSS

myn

#72 Post by myn »

DJPhatman wrote:myn, what are you using to hold the panels together while the PL cures?
1) Line up the next panel using guideboards screwed into the side panel/vertical panels and a roofers triangle to ensure its square
2) clamp
3) predrill screw holes (I go about 3/8" into the piece I'm attaching)
4) unclamp
5) apply PL
6) Clamp
7) screw, making sure to hit the hole on the panel being attached
8) remove/unscrew guide boards (only because I want to reuse them and I want to wipe the PL off of them)

Am I doing something wrong?

myn

#73 Post by myn »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:An eighth inch of warping won't bother fifteen to seventy five foot wavelengths all that much. :mrgreen:
If they bother you use a guideboard to pull them out until you fasten the joint.
What about that little edge? If it's not flush will this cause an issue?

I'm used to traditional alignments where the port path has to be really really smooth or port chuffing is heard.

maxmercy

#74 Post by maxmercy »

That edge will cause no issue with the wavelengths concerned, as Bill mentioned. You are good. Your technique is sound as well. Only concern is any air leaks, but you have already said you caulk the joints, so you are good there as well...

JSS

myn

#75 Post by myn »

maxmercy wrote:That edge will cause no issue with the wavelengths concerned, as Bill mentioned. You are good. Your technique is sound as well. Only concern is any air leaks, but you have already said you caulk the joints, so you are good there as well...

JSS

One thing I did do tonight was used a chisel in the interior where the driver sits and scraped off the overflow of PL as the flanges will need to sit flush against the surface. On the opposing side of the panels I caulked it along the edge. As much as I'd like to retain the overflow everywhere I think this is one case where overflow is a hindrance. I am suspecting you did the same thing?