myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

Post your build odyssey here.
David Carter

Re: myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

#46 Post by David Carter »

Don't you know anyone you can borrow a router from in the meantime?
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

chrapladm

#47 Post by chrapladm »

did you find out what was wrong with your router? or
David Carter wrote:Don't you know anyone you can borrow a router from in the meantime?
I am anxious to see how your build turns out. Between you Maxmercy I definitely have a better understanding of what I am getting myself into.

myn

#48 Post by myn »

I've been in touch with Bosch/Skil. I'm in the process of sending them my defective unit and hopefully a replacement comes back quickly!

This is really throwing a wrench in my progress.

chrapladm

#49 Post by chrapladm »

I have a feeling mine will take months upon months to complete. I am borrowing every tool except clamps, tape measure, and straight edge. I am getting ready to go by a glue gun because it is on sale but I still haven't figured out how I am going to get the wood home yet. I will probably borrow my friends trailer.

Everyone seems to get done with there projects pretty quickly. I just want to have mine done for Christmas.

BUT good to see you've been in touch with Bosch/Skil.

David Carter

#50 Post by David Carter »

chrapladm wrote:Everyone seems to get done with there projects pretty quickly. I just want to have mine done for Christmas.
For every quick build you hear about, I'm sure there are countless others that take forever. I know that I am making fairly decent progress on my current T39's, but the DR200's that will follow will take much longer (due to the complexity of the build, the more limited time I'm going to have to work on them, and the fact that I'm doing four).

My first build just over two years ago was an Omni 10, and, despite the fact that some people seem to throw them together in a day or two, it took me a couple of months! :roll:
Dave

Built:

myn

#51 Post by myn »

chrapladm wrote: I still haven't figured out how I am going to get the wood home yet. I will probably borrow my friends trailer.
You could do what I did and use Ryder's current web promotion, renting a panel van fo $35 a day + insurance ($20). In my case they ended up giving me a free day because they were overbooked for the memorial day weekend.

Or find a place with a panel saw that will rip them down to a size that will fit in your vehicle.

David Carter

#52 Post by David Carter »

myn wrote:Or find a place with a panel saw that will rip them down to a size that will fit in your vehicle.
This is what I do when I go to Lowe's to get Arauco. I got with cut sheet in hand, and I get them to do the rip cuts (or cross cuts, as the case may be) for me. Then I just take those pieces back home and put them on the table saw to cut the individual pieces. Works pretty well. I just get them to cut about 1/2" or more wider than I need in case it's not square. That way I have room to do some trimming to square things up.
Dave

Built:

chrapladm

#53 Post by chrapladm »

I'll try and see if they can cut them down to size for me. Bill has the "cut sheet," on the THT plans so I will go by this. I am a bit worried about that though because on the cut sheet it has many pieces that are exactly 48 inches. Like panel 8 and 4. Now with me getting 1200mm size wood this will not be enough for 48 inches=1219mm.

But I will some how have to figure it out. I thought I was going to need three sheets anyways for the THT. And I just need 2 sheets to do L/R/C SLA correct? Mine will be about 48 inches tall.

myn

#54 Post by myn »

Unless you're really really hurting to conserve $$$ I'd steer clear of the cutsheet in the plans. Those require you to split and rejoin some of the panels. Very little margin for error too.

Instead I'd take the recommended cut sizes and plug them into this free application: http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/CutList.htm

The AraucoPly is so cheap, an extra 4x8 is only going to cost you $23 bucks.

chrapladm

#55 Post by chrapladm »

Dont forget I live in Australia and an extra sheet will cost $108. Now this is Hoop pine and A/A grade. It was the only thing I could find but relatively speaking the crap stuff at the local "Lowes," was $65 a sheet and it had voids. C/D

I wanted to get a nice piece of wood with no patches so I could have a very nice finish like maxmercy's. But I budgeted for 3 sheets anyways and after looking around for the best price I found another company that was asking $150 per sheet for A/C grade. So I found a awesome deal. I would rather drive 45mins away and pay 108 per sheet of A/A grade then to drive 5mins away and pay $150 per sheet of A/C grade.

I tried to find BB but I have a feeling it is VERY expensive compared to what I am going to get. Everyone says that can special order it which means a "special," price also. Plus I think I will be very happy with the Hoop pine.

Oh and if I remember correctly the cut list program doesn't work on MACs. I could use my wife's PC but I dont mind doing a little more work with sketchup to figure it out.

myn

#56 Post by myn »

WOW. Didn't realize that plywood was so expensive in Australia. Definitely go with the plans cutsheet than.

myn

#57 Post by myn »

[== 6/28/2009 ==]

So I got overly anxious this weekend. I didn't want to have to wait 2 weeks to get my router back just to finish the driver cutout. So with some spare wood I had laying around I built a circle jig for my jigsaw and completed the circle.

I also drilled the holes and attached the hurricane nuts with some gorilla glue. For reference, the 10-32 hurricane nuts work best with a 1/4" hole.

Last edited by myn on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djohnson573

#58 Post by djohnson573 »

myn wrote:So I got overly anxious this weekend. I didn't want to have to wait 2 weeks to get my router back just to finish the driver cutout. So with some spare wood I had laying around I built a circle jig for my jigsaw and completed the circle.
Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to wait either. :hyper: Looks good! Nice alternative plan.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 4 x Titan 39 (14"W) BP102 loaded
- 2 x TLAH
- 4 x OT12 Deltalite 2512 loaded
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

chrapladm

#59 Post by chrapladm »

Do I need to purchase the circle jig or does it come with the panel jig?

I didn't see it with the panel jig so I am assuming it doesn't come with it.

myn

#60 Post by myn »

Nope. I just made the circle jigs myself.

For both the router and jigsaw I used 1/4" MDF. For the jigsaw I just surrounded the jigsaw base with some scrap 1/2" plywood I had laying around. If my jigsaw had 2 screw holes on the base I would have just screwed it directly to the 1/4" MDF.

My router had plenty of screw holes on the base so I just fixed it directly to the 1/4" MDF.