Jack 10 Lite Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Jack 10 Lite Build

#61 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Make a simple sled for your circular saw. I used some fiberboard for the base and a piece of MDF for the Top/guide. MDF is nice and straight. Just attach the guide to the base with an inch or two of overhang more than the distance between your saw blade and the base of the saw. Then, just run the saw down the guide cutting off the base. Now you have a perfect saw sled. Just line up the base with your line, clamp it down and let 'er rip. I have a short one for cutting down 4x8 sheets and a longer one for......well, longer cuts.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

howiez

#62 Post by howiez »

9830Lark wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:53 pm Played with logo and the laser. Looks pretty good. Will look even better once it gets two coats of Danish oil. I reversed the black/white on the graph background to cut WAY down on the laser time.

Laser again.jpg
logos.jpg
Any chance you have a DXF of your 'cleaned up' logo you can share? I was planning to laser some SS plates at work. We have BySoft for our laser and nothing else. I can't import the logo picture, other than into CAD and manually trace it. I can draw straight lines in cad but the curve threw me a curve...

Build is awesome, so jealous of the laser access! (they would never let me try to burn plywood on our CO2 or Fiber laser at work!

9830Lark

#63 Post by 9830Lark »

howiez wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:36 pm Any chance you have a DXF of your 'cleaned up' logo you can share?
For sure I can provide a Lightburn file. Let me play around in Lightburn and see what my export options are.

Yep - I can export to .dxf. Wondering what our best options for file sharing are? You wanna PM me?

howiez

#64 Post by howiez »

9830Lark wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:55 pm
howiez wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:36 pm Any chance you have a DXF of your 'cleaned up' logo you can share?
For sure I can provide a Lightburn file. Let me play around in Lightburn and see what my export options are.

Yep - I can export to .dxf. Wondering what our best options for file sharing are? You wanna PM me?
PM sent!
Bill, any interest in hosting a downloadable DXF on your site somewhere? There are enough homegrown CNC machines, especially laser, it might be cool to have a good rendition of your logo for the hardcore builders.

I'd laser some out of stainless steel scraps at work, but our SS prices are through roof right now, like 3 times the cost of mild steel, so no freebies for us, or government work right now!

Maybe someone (Leland?) already sells BFM nameplates?

9830Lark

#65 Post by 9830Lark »

Throat sheath braces installed with hot glue.

I can tell that the throat sheaths are going to be an 'adventure' to bend into place. They're smaller, so not as much leverage. Plus, the top/bottom are in the way so there's no using the ratchet strap. Hmm - I may take some of the leftover 1/8" BB and set up the laser to etch closely space lines to see if this eases the bending. Would be really nice if it would work on the back side. Likely would work better on the front. Of course, then you'd have to patch the grooves with the Bondo.
Attachments
throat sheath braces.jpg

J_Dunavin

#66 Post by J_Dunavin »

They do make bendable plywood, (bends in on one axis). I believe I still have some left over from my DR200 days, if you are interested.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

9830Lark

#67 Post by 9830Lark »

J_Dunavin wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:51 am They do make bendable plywood, (bends in on one axis). I believe I still have some left over from my DR200 days, if you are interested.
Thanks might take you up on it. For now, I'm going to look into adding lattice hinge using the laser.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#68 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Using the technique in the plans I didn't have any problem installing the sheaths. If you groove them do it on the back. That will allow the back layer to compress more easily.

Seth

#69 Post by Seth »

I had to look up "lattice hinge". I just assumed it was the same as kerfing. But, it's completely different... and interesting.

I'm not sure it would be my choice solution unless it was more about experimenting with new stuff and having fun with the project. Which is certainly a valid reason to give it a go.

Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

9830Lark

#70 Post by 9830Lark »

Seth wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:03 pm I had to look up "lattice hinge". I just assumed it was the same as kerfing. But, it's completely different... and interesting.

I'm not sure it would be my choice solution unless it was more about experimenting with new stuff and having fun with the project. Which is certainly a valid reason to give it a go.
It's more about playing with the laser, but there's also part of me that's worried that I'm going to mess something up with the staples. I have a ton of scrap to play with. I certainly don't need a 90 degree angle, so I'm going to start with a minimal approach. Like this. I believe that the kerfs won't degrade the performance, especially after I smear them with PL and overcoat with Bondo, where necessary.
laser.JPG

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#71 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Again, don't put the cuts on the outside, put them on the inside. The resistance to bending is primarily from the inner layer not wanting to compress, while the middle layer grain is perpendicular to the bending axis. It's not from the outer layer not wanting to expand.

9830Lark

#72 Post by 9830Lark »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:56 am Again, don't put the cuts on the outside, put them on the inside. The resistance to bending is primarily from the inner layer not wanting to compress, while the middle layer grain is perpendicular to the bending axis. It's not from the outer layer not wanting to expand.
Ahh - I get it now. Thanks for the persistence. Something like this. The horizontal lines on the 'inside' are etch only, with lower power so as to not penetrate further than partial thickness. This spacing is 1 mm. Tweaking the power/speed (depth) and line spacing will be the key.
Capture.JPG

9830Lark

#73 Post by 9830Lark »

9830Lark wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm Alternatives for horn sheath trimming?

I'll be at that point in a few days. I'm guessing that the best way to do this is with the cab flat on it's back. While that means there's no flat surface for the saw to ride on, it does align the overhangs more horizontal. I don't have a sled for my circular saw. I can certainly make one. Anything accurate that I can think of that might work would all require some type of shop built guide (jigsaw with fine tooth blade).

I really don't want to cut corners and ruin the hard work. Brute force = belt sander or sawzall. Sounds risky. Maybe just biting the bullet and making a sled is the way to go.
I got the sheaths trimmed. I didn't have a chance to make it to the shop, so it's was lower-tech at home. Trimmed proud of the cut-line with a wide round blade in the oscillating multi-tool. Then hand work with Surform tool. Looks good, ready for sanding.

9830Lark

#74 Post by 9830Lark »

Installing driver with lag screws??

Just spent some time fiddling with the driver and woofer spacer, planning for the installation. It appears that with my driver (Basslite S2010), some of the bolts will be either inaccessible due to the sheaths or will hit a brace. Is leaving 3-4 of them off an option? Or install those few with lag screws?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#75 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

What bolts? Per the plans: Put the driver in place and use a pencil, nail or punch driven through the frame holes to mark where to drill holes for 1¼-1½ inch long #8 or #10 attachment screws.