Slim THTLP

Post your build odyssey here.
JensToft91

Re: Slim THTLP

#31 Post by JensToft91 »

jimbo7 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm
JensToft91 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:44 pm That's it for tonight.

I'm really happy with the centerlines i drew for the braces. I measured the brace, and marked where it's supposed to fit. I then used the brace to unwarp the panel.
On my first build I made the mistake of cutting my braces to the plan's dimensions then forcing them in like a wedge. Caused the mouth to bulge out. Nobody noticed it, but lesson learned.
And I just realised that I bent the panel in the lengthwise direction. Lesson learned aswell 😂

To anyone reading my methods, it's not by the plan. I like the problem-solving as part of woodworking, and come up with my own solutions. I really enjoy it - but I know my cabinet will end up slightly skewed. Then plan is bulletproof, I must admit 🤔

But! I do follow the most important part. It will be 100% air tight 😎

Seth

#32 Post by Seth »

JensToft91 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:35 am Seth - have you seen my post on DaveMacKay's build thead? I'm sure you'll love the link i added.
I did. Sorry for the delayed response. I opened it, got distracted, and forgot about it. I just came across it again as I'm closing unused tabs in my browser (I've got like 60 tabs open) and finished looking it over. Interesting results. I appreciate how much effort went into making everything as unbiased as reasonably possible. Thanks for sharing the link Jens :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

JensToft91

#33 Post by JensToft91 »

Quick update. I'm doing a panel a day - not much spare time to document the whole process.

It's really starting to shape up - But I'm still thinking about how I'll ever get the other side on. That warp is a pain.

I'll probably buy 2 clamps, clamp a wide upright board on top of the side - fasten it, move it, fasten it, move it, and so on.
I'm also thinking about splitting the side into multiple panels with 45deg sides. That way, I'm able to seal it on the go - making sure everything is perfectly sealed. Would be easier to trace the panels aswell.

Is this a bad idea? Why?
Attachments
Snapchat-790000082.jpg

JensToft91

#34 Post by JensToft91 »

Just realised a big mistake. I alligned panel 7, so the distance is the same to panel 1 at the top as it is on the buttom. But with the first side curved, that won't be a 90 Deg angle. Panel 8 is attached to panel 7, which will give it the same "not"-90 Deg angle. Panel 10 can't be rectangular now, as it won't allign with panel 8.
This will also make it impossible to straighten the curve 🙄
Well. The horn probably won't realise that it's not rectangular 🤔
I'll fit panel 6 and 9, and then cut panel 10 to fit.
I'll then split the other side's into multiples, without 45 Deg angles, as the side will end up as curved as the first. I won't be able to fit the 45 angle sides together.
The will probably not be the prettiest THT. But I won't quit until it works 👍

AntonZ

#35 Post by AntonZ »

A bit off square is only a looks thing. As long as all the joints are air tight your THTLP will be fine. Airtight is paramount.

Better have a sub that sounds good and looks just OK rather than the other way around.

JensToft91

#36 Post by JensToft91 »

Yup. Totally agree. And because of that warp, i'll attach the side panel bit by bit. Then I'll be 99% sure, that it's absolutely tight 👍

AntonZ

#37 Post by AntonZ »

And just a quick additional note to mention that I very much enjoy your detailed report of progress along the way, Jens. Well done :clap:

JensToft91

#38 Post by JensToft91 »

Means alot Anton! Thank you so much. My motivation stopped a bit, as no-one was commenting. I will continue to post updates 👍

JensToft91

#39 Post by JensToft91 »

Baffle drawing. I don't have the driver, so I just have to hope that the dimension are accurate. They were on the Dayton for the TT, so I guess this will work aswell.
Attachments
Snapchat-1408724385.jpg

ACUA

#40 Post by ACUA »

Many of us see and enjoy the builds even if we do not always comment. Thank you for sharing.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

AntonZ

#41 Post by AntonZ »

Keep it coming Jens. And I know for sure that I am not the only one watching. At the very least Seth is keeping a keen eye on all build progress. So is ACUA, I think Bruce will be watching, too. Just to name a few.

It is recommended practice to hold back on cutting and drilling the baffle until you have a driver to mark and test fit before the baffle is in the cab without you being able to watch it from all sides with driver test-fitted. The specs may be dead on and if you work very precisely you may have a perfect fit. If you are lucky. Or you may be 3 mm off at some point either due to sloppy specs/QC or your drill bit sliding just a tiny bit off the mark and have a hard time fitting a bolt or screw, or the cone of your driver hits the baffle edge. The importance of the latter is not to be underestimated as the woofer may show significant excursion.

You don't want to be :cussing: when you are so near completion.

Bruce Weldy

#42 Post by Bruce Weldy »

AntonZ wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:19 pm Keep it coming Jens. And I know for sure that I am not the only one watching. At the very least Seth is keeping a keen eye on all build progress. So is ACUA, I think Bruce will be watching, too.
Actually, I've read every post since Jan 23, 2011. I just don't comment a lot on the Home Theater stuff as I just don't know a lot about it. I'm still rockin' the same 5.1 setup I put in back in 2001.....new TV since then, but everything else is the same. And it's still enough to piss off my wife - I couldn't imagine how you guys get to listen to THTs in the house.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#43 Post by Tom Smit »

@JensToft91, I admire your determination, even if things go a bit south. Kudos.
PS, I read every post on the forum.
TomS

DaveMacKay

#44 Post by DaveMacKay »

I'm following your build too.

Bryan Cox

#45 Post by Bryan Cox »

I'm following, as well. I read all build threads and comment where I can. I usually just let the big brains handle it, though. Nice work, Jens.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide