began Tuba24 & DR250 build.. but unable to complete myself

Post your build odyssey here.
aleksk

began Tuba24 & DR250 build.. but unable to complete myself

#1 Post by aleksk »

Hi folks,

it's been five years since i first came across Bill's designs and thought they would be amazing to build. I unfortunately started slightly tweaking them (using different techniques such as a laser cutter and 3d printing the more intricate parts), well as such, I have over complicated them by a degree. They are still Bill's fundamental design, but adjusted slightly to be able to done using alternative construction means.

My goal was to have a sound system that would be weather-proof and could be left on my terrace. I suppose i could have resorted to covers, but i also wanted the wood to naturally be a feature and was hoping for a combination of great sound AND great aesthetics.

So i started investigating and put a plan together in motion to that end. So far i've got the wood cut and am in the middle of doing the wood-finish/treatment (thinking along the lines of wooden-boat where the wood is sealed and varnished).

Here's what i got done so far..

And the smaller (mostly laser cut) sections for the D250 as well as various hardware (connectors, wiring, etc)

Here's how the planning of the wood treatment looks like:

And here are some of the chemicals ready to be applied:

The problem is i realize, i don't really want to be doing the treatment stuff myself. For one, it's a lot of work and it's really smelly work :-) There's multiple coats and many surfaces to go over, and i've lost motivation to complete the project due mainly to this part.

So my question, with the fact that i'm in the UK near London, is there anyone who folks here can recommend that does this for a living and who i could contract this part of the build out to? I'm willing to travel probably 200 miles if needed to drop off and then pick up the work, as long as they have worked with CPES/Epifanes varnish before.. (so someone like a boat builder would be ideal, or at least someone who finishes cabinet making). Or someone who builds speakers who can complete the project for me would be even better :-) I'm really frustrated this has taken me so long and would love to get this complete so i can enjoy bill's design rather than it sitting in pieces being (another) unfinished project :-(

AntonZ

Re: began Tuba24 & DR250 build.. but unable to complete myself

#2 Post by AntonZ »

I am not in the UK and on top of that I do not even have enough time to complete my own projects. So this is just a side note to the approach, by no means an offer to help you out. Sorry about that.

Do you intend to treat all the wood surfaces before gluing the parts together? I can understand why you would want to do that (have all the parts well protected, even if a part sits a long way inside the finished cabs). But do keep in mind that wood glue works well because the glue can get sucked part way into the wood. We tend to think it is just two surfaces being connected by a thin layer of glue, but in reality it is the fact that the glue will work it's way well into the wood that makes for a strong bonding. For that reason it is better to first glue the untreated wood together, then apply the finish of your choice. Finishing the parts before gluing them together will result in a significantly weaker construction.

Seth

#3 Post by Seth »

On the Authorized Builders Page, there's only one builder listed in the UK... David Coomes, Doncaster, UK. coomsual@gmail.com

Looks like Doncaster's within your 200 mile limit. Send him an email

DR250's... You must have a huge yard!
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

aleksk

#4 Post by aleksk »

Thanks for the advice AntonZ, i will make sure to mask off the parts where the joints would meet to keep wood surface materials from interfereing with the bond.

Also Seth, appreciate the look up, but i've already tried to email David more than once and have never once heard back :-( Has anyone actually talked with David recently? I fear the listing is a bit old and some of these folks have moved on from this type of work :-(

Anyone else in the UK within a few hundred miles of London that may be quallified/able to help?
Last edited by aleksk on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radian

#5 Post by Radian »

[duplicate]
Last edited by Radian on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Radian

#6 Post by Radian »

aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am put a plan together
aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am Here's how the planning of the wood treatment looks like:
:shock:
aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am ...I unfortunately started slightly tweaking them
aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am I have over complicated them
aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am i don't really want to be doing the treatment stuff myself
AntonZ wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:46 am i've lost motivation to complete the project
aleksk wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 am (another) unfinished project
Appreciate the honesty...there's a clear pattern here. :idea:

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Seth

#7 Post by Seth »

Radian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:34 pm There's a pattern here. :idea:
Radian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm Appreciate the honesty...there's a clear pattern here. :idea:
I'm seeing the start of another pattern. :mrgreen:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Radian

#8 Post by Radian »

:loler:

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

Radian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm
AntonZ wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:46 am i've lost motivation to complete the project
Appreciate the honesty...there's a clear pattern here. :idea:
Objection your honor. Not my quote.

:slap:

aleksk

#10 Post by aleksk »

yes, i'll admit it's a bit of a recurring theme in my life.. over-complicate and give up.. maybe i have ADHD and speaker building isn't something i should have dabbled with?

Radian

#11 Post by Radian »

Brush on a single coat of water-based polyurethane instead.

Ditch the marine chemicals, and press-on with the build. It ain't over until they either make sound or become firewood.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

aleksk wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:41 am yes, i'll admit it's a bit of a recurring theme in my life.. over-complicate and give up.. maybe i have ADHD and speaker building isn't something i should have dabbled with?
I encourage you to continue. Plan small steps, and take them. Sometimes, the BIG picture can be overwhelming, therefore, try smaller portions, and it will come together.
Radian and Anton gave some good advice that may allow you, yourself, to get your cabs completed. And, when the cabs ARE completed by you, imagine the satisfaction that you will have, that it was you who built the cabs from start to finish!
TomS