Omni 15 Tallboy custom

Post your build odyssey here.
rantbicker

Omni 15 Tallboy custom

#1 Post by rantbicker »

Started this at the beginning of the year and finally got around to finishing. I built to spec and extended the top over the sides to integrate handles as well as the length of my bass head (which I should have checked before choosing this over the Omni :oops: ). I wanted the cab to be as universal as possible so I have both the tweeter and midrange on L-Pads. All I have left is to cut the back panel and install the midrange driver.

https://imgur.com/ceeCFxO

Seth

Re: Omni 15 Tallboy custom

#2 Post by Seth »

Looking good. Nice job. I look forward to your performance review :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Good job, so far!
TomS

rantbicker

#4 Post by rantbicker »

Thanks guys! Just got finishing it and decided to test it out today. Been playing both bass and guitar through it, sounds way better than my former Ampeg 4 x 10, 8 x 10 and bassman. On the guitar, it reminds me of my old pyramid configuration 4 x 12 bassman in how it fills the room vs shooting straight out. The cool thing about the Ampeg V-4B head that I use is how versatile it is, you can dial in just about any tone. This speaker really complements the amp head and I don't foresee myself ever parting ways for something smaller. Been in a few bands and the guitarists always think you shouldn't hear the bass. I beg to differ, it should blend and pop when needed, but not be completely drowned out by the guitars. Otherwise, there is no point in showing up to a gig, IMO. The reason I built the tallboy was that I generally run out of floorspace in smaller venues and the guitarists are quick to blame my "large unnecessary rig" and try to get me to use a mini combo amp. The tallboy will keep the floorspace to a minimum and allow room for the guitarists cabs while the lengthened top fits my bass head.

I also couldn't resist running some dj music through it and I'm sold. Going to be building more of these in the future as PA mains.

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

Hey, that's great to hear! I hope it serves just as well in a band session. I am curious as to what your band mates will say will say.
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'm glad you like it, but it's not necessarily the best choice for a PA main other than for permanent installation. Separate mains and subs are better for a portable PA. And tell those six stringers that you'll use a mini combo when they do. :wink:

Dale Hammer

#7 Post by Dale Hammer »

Cool cabinet!

rantbicker

#8 Post by rantbicker »

Tom Smit wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:40 pm Hey, that's great to hear! I hope it serves just as well in a band session. I am curious as to what your band mates will say will say.
I know exactly what it is going to be, "why don't you use the 1 x 15 Fender combo we bought you?" :horse:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:12 pm I'm glad you like it, but it's not necessarily the best choice for a PA main other than for permanent installation. Separate mains and subs are better for a portable PA. And tell those six stringers that you'll use a mini combo when they do. :wink:
I'm definitely looking for whatever is best for my needs, and that's not a permanent install. I currently have the Bose F1 system for a PA but it, along with most other powered speakers, fall behind at the larger gigs. When this pandemic winds down I'd like to start doing sound for local festivals and also need something fit for the larger wedding venues.

And yes, they still use their 4 x 12 cabinets and 100 w tube heads and try to tell me I'm too loud lol. It's because they ruined their high frequency hearing and can only hear the bass now... :roll:
Dale Hammer wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:20 am Cool cabinet!
Thank you!!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They use 4x12s and say you should use a combo. :bash:
No guitar player needs more than a 1x12. :wall:

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 pm They use 4x12s and say you should use a combo. :bash:
No guitar player needs more than a 1x12. :wall:
As a loud, rockin' guitar player - I totally agree.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."