Pair of WH6 Lites build

Post your build odyssey here.
Seth

Pair of WH6 Lites build

#1 Post by Seth »

Started on a pair of WH6 lites, using 1/4" BB ply. I easily got all parts for both cabs cut from one 5x5 sheet of ply with about 25% of the sheet to spare. I cut the driver spacer and phase plug out of ½" BB scrap instead of doubling up and laminating ¼" pieces.

For one of the cabs I picked up a New-Old Stock Alpha 6a on ebay for $25. For the other cab, I'm rolling the dice a bit... I'd really like to have neo drivers in these, but with the Alphalite 6 no longer being made and remaining stock a bit too pricey to shave a couple pounds, I searched for other options. I ended up choosing a driver that's slightly out of spec, the PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY. Figured I'd take one for the team, give it a try, report back it's performance, and weigh in on whether I think the weight savings is worth it or not. At 1.2 pounds, it's less than a third of the weight of the 4.1 pound Alpha 6a.

Sorry for the cruddy photos. My phone has camera issues. I'll try to remember to bring a better camera next time.

I got all the pieces precut to their rough cut dimensions.
20201108_142335.jpg
-
Got the sides cut out.
20201108_163225.jpg
-
Here's what I'm going to do for the hand/port holes instead of half round stock. I added an inch around the handhole/port dimensions and cut it out of ½" BB, routed the outside lip on one face, and drilled the 2 center holes to locate it to the side. I only drilled one locating hole in the side and will use the hole in the backing to guide the 2nd locating hole so they're all lined up and perfect. Then I'll use a paddle bit and drill them together once they're glued together.

I held off on gluing them together. I want to check the SketchUp to make sure the modification won't interfere with anything else in the cab.
20201108_163845.jpg
-
I also got the top and bottom cut to final size with their angled cuts (not shown). For the outside pieces, I just have the top back and bottom back left. Then I'll start on the horn pieces.

Stay tuned. More to come soon.
Last edited by Seth on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

Re: Pair of WH6 Lites build

#2 Post by Seth »

I double checked the SketchUp for interference with my hand/port hole backer. It should just fit as it is now. But, after looking at it closer and thinking it over more, I'm going to reduce the size so that it's a half inch all around the hole instead of the inch I have it as now. It will have better clearance from the lower horn support and shave a little more weight off the build. Glad I didn't glue them on already.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Looking good!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:59 am Looking good!
Thanks Bruce.

A little note about the SketchUp files. I've been using SketchUp viewer to open the files for years. I never could figure out what some of you were talking about... switching inches to millimeters, moving parts, using a measuring tape tool... I could never find those options in the viewer.

Did a little digging and figured it out. "Viewer" Palm-to-forehead... DUH, dummy. :wall:

I downloaded the SketchUp online app and now I see all the stuff you guys have been talking about. Man, that's pretty awesome to be able to move stuff out of the way to see and measure different things. Pretty neat.

I've been missing out for way too long. Better late than never, I guess.

Maybe my mistake will help someone else avoid doing the same.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Didn't get a whole lot done today, but did make forward progress on the project. Late start and the little tinker stuff takes way more time than cutting panels.

I cut a couple scraps of ½" ply into one ½" strip and one ¾" strip, rounded over the edges, and sanded them smooth to get a feel for what it may feel like when reaching in the port/hand hole. I know it probably seems like I'm putting too much thought and attention into this detail. And, I probably am. But, when I built my T39 I did one handle with a commercial solution and one handle at the other end per the plans, oval cut-out with quarter round behind. I liked the version in the plans waaaay better than the store bought solution. It just feels good in the hand. Like a solid, reliable piece that's built to last. I was very impressed at how well it came out. I'd like these to give that same feeling of quality and robustness.

Anyway, I decided to make the width of the port/hand hole backer ¾" all the way around the hole and modified the ones I made yesterday to the new dimensions. Which, I think will feel good in the hand being ¾" in 2 dimensions (the ¼" side backed with the ½" (x¾) comfort grip thingy). That sounds confusing, but I'm sure it will make sense when you see it in a couple days.

Also, I think I'm going to center the hand hole between the upper and lower rear horn supports, which will locate it ¾" above where the plans have it. This will make it less likely to have my hand touch the supports when handling them, which isn't a huge deal. Just my my mind tinkering with stuff and enjoying "making it my own" with little tweaks here and there.

The last four outer shell panels are cut to size. Here they all are. (I remembered the camera BTW :wink: )
20201109_153044.jpg
20201109_153112.jpg

I decided I'd like to have the SpeakOn connectors screw in to a backing plate from the outside. The idea of gluing them in from the inside sounds like a great solution from a standpoint of simplicity and weight savings. But, I'd hate to have one get dropped or abused in some way that would dislodge the connector and push it in the cab. Wouldn't be the end of the world. But that's what my choice making thought process was.

So, I crafted four 3" x ½" backing discs. Router circle jig, rounded one side, and sanded smooth. I'll drill them out tomorrow.
20201109_172904.jpg
20201109_171336.jpg

I think I'm going to let the SpeakOn backing donuts overhang the edges, near the point between the upper and lower back as shown in the pics. Then flush cut them to add a little additional glue-able surface area to that spot for additional strength, just because... why not?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#6 Post by Seth »

Today I found a mistake I made with the precuts and caught myself from making a mistake that I'd find out about later... and got a few more parts lovingly hand crafted.

So, yesterday I was talking about wanting to glue the Speakon backer overhanging the edge of the side then flush cut it to match the contour. I was getting ready to glue them on, when it dawned on me (I'd been reading the plans last night) that the top, back, and bottom panels are mounted in-between the sides, not on the outside of the sides. If I mounted the SpeakOn backer now, it would interfere with assembly later. Dodged that bullet. Would have been able to work around it, but glad I won't have to. So, I put the backers aside for now. I did drill out the centers of them though.
20201110_142517.jpg

I went ahead and glued the port/hand hole backers on the sides. I'll drill them out tomorrow. I ended up relocating them 5/8" higher instead of 3/4", so the hole I already drilled at the height specified in the plans will be consumed in the drilling process. Where there would have been a little evidence of the previously drilled hole on the perimeter of the port with the 3/4" adjustment.
20201110_150119.jpg

Made the bottom braces. I'm getting fairly good and creating accurate parts. Each one of these was pretty darn close to the same as the others. Not 100%, but close enough to impress myself a little.
20201110_152754.jpg

And right about here is where I found a mistake...The woofer spacers. I made 2 beautiful spacers. Symmetrical, sanded with nice soft rounded over edges... looked great and felt fantastic in the hand. Once the driver hole was cut, it was very obvious something was not quite right and I realized that I cut the part ½" too little in both dimensions, top to bottom and left to right. Looked through the plans to see if there was anything that might have given me the idea that the part was the size I made, but didn't see anything. I just plain made a mistake. Oh well. So, I got busy making two more with the correct dimensions. However, I didn't have enough ½" BB scrap to make both. So, one's out of BB and the other is 5 ply 15/32" Douglas Fir. It's really amazing how good parts look after a round-over and a little sanding. Got the phase plugs done too.
20201110_173317.jpg

I was going to forego any mesh between the spacer and the baffle, but saw that plastic mesh for rain gutters was only $2 for a 6" x 20' role. So, I went ahead and ordered some of that today. I think it'll work okay for the purpose.

The pile of finished parts is getting bigger and the to-do pile is dwindling away. Tomorrow, I'll complete the sides and the baffles. I think I'm going to make a pattern for the baffle and route them out with a pattern bit. I saw someone here do it that way. Came out pretty good. Think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

I'd also like to get the horn tops and bottoms at least drawn out tomorrow too. Then cut them the following day.

That's it for now.
Last edited by Seth on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Where's the popcorn...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Seth

#8 Post by Seth »

Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:45 am Where's the popcorn...
Two buckets for you Grant. 🍿🍿 On the house.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

:hyper:
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Seth

#10 Post by Seth »

I should have stated in the beginning of this thread that this will be a "how I did it" documentation of my build. In no way should this be considered a "how-to" kinda thing. If anything, it's probably a better "how-not-to" thread. :noob:

Here's the mistakes from yesterday (on the left and center) in contrast to the part with the correct dimensions (on the right)
20201111_122907.jpg

Bottom good, top bad :chainsaw:
20201111_122925.jpg

I wasted at least a good hour of time, thought, and resources today. I thought I'd be real slick and make a simple sled for the jigsaw. If the thought ever crosses your mind, let it pass. Big fail. The blade doesn't stay straight/perpendicular and pretty much goes wherever it wants. I gave up on it and decided to make the hand hole cuts freehand. Took about 2 minutes and was a completely acceptable result. It wasn't until I was sanding the port/hand hole that it dawned on me, I could have clamped a straight edge on and just used a flush cut bit in the router for perfect results. Oh well. Next time. Ya know, having the tools is one thing. Knowing how and when to use the tools to achieve the result you're after is a completely different thing. Apparently, I'm not there yet. But, I learned something, so I'll consider it a win anyway.

Side note: These screw tip paddle bits are probably great for something. But they're an absolute PITA for this kind of work. They grab and feed the bit way too fast. Even in a drill press with the work clamped down, it grabs and stalls the chuck. I had to drill the pilot holes out larger to finally get it to feed slow enough and work properly. When I bought it, I thought "eh, I'll go ahead and splurge and pay the extra $1 for the "better" bit". Another lesson learned. I'm really glad I didn't buy the whole set of these.
20201111_124209.jpg

Holes drilled and centers cut out. Not perfect, but good enough. A little round-over and sanding will clean 'em right up..
20201111_140512.jpg

The one on the right is rounded over
20201111_140655.jpg

Both rounded over and sanded.
20201111_142634.jpg

Ahhhh... Feels so good in the hand. Glad I took the time to do this part this way. Just feels like quality.
20201111_142706.jpg

So beautiful.
20201111_142722.jpg
Last edited by Seth on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:19 am, edited 7 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#11 Post by Seth »

Doing the baffles with a template and flush-cut bit in the router was a huge WIN. Man-O-man, did these babies come out nice!

First I cut a scrap piece of ½" ply to the outer dimensions of the part, then cut ¾" wide strips to size and tacked them in place with 18g brads. The brads were a little long, so I used a grinder to knock them down flush where they stuck out through the back side.
20201111_151901.jpg

Then I drilled a 5/8" hole in each area to be cut out for the flush-cut bit to stick through and went ahead and ran it around a couple times.
20201111_152954.jpg

Here's the back side that got routed out. You can see the brads that got knocked down flush with the grinder.
20201111_152959.jpg

Then I just lined up the blank part flush around the outer edges of the template, used the pin nailer to secure the two together, drill a couple holes, run the router around, and voila!!!

Look at these little gems! Sanded smooth, these things came out so professional! Nearly CNC quality. So happy with how well this method works. A big thanks to whoever it was that posted about doing it this way!
20201111_161159.jpg

I'm going to label this template and keep it somewhere safe for the next pair I build. What a great tool.

I got the horn tops and bottoms cut to size and the details sketched on the tops. Still need to sketch out the bottoms. I'm considering making some modifications to the dimensions of these in order to minimize some of the bulk that overhangs beyond the outside of the horn sides. I'm also thinking about cutting them out similar to the way I did the baffles, with a template and router. Still so impressed with the results of that method. Anyway, here's the horn tops sketched out (slightly different than the plans say)
20201111_170251.jpg

I have some back issues that are flaring up pretty bad. I may have to take a few days off. Will update when progress resumes.

OH! And BTW, Bryan (I know you're reading this)... I wanted to thank you again for the pointer about drilling a little on each side with the spade bit before drilling all the way through to minimize breakout and splintering. Works really well. Thanks again for that little pointer. I forget where you're stationed, but I hope you're doing well wherever you are.

-Seth-
Last edited by Seth on Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

That's a cool idea with what you did for the hand-holds. I like it.
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I think Incerlik, Turkey.

Seth

#14 Post by Seth »

Tom Smit wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:18 pm That's a cool idea with what you did for the hand-holds. I like it.
Thanks Tom. So far, I really like how well they came out. Doesn't feel overly big and bulky or too little (and however too little would occur). It's just the right size and feels like a manufactured part. Glad I gave it the attention and thought that I did. And doubly glad I took a look at the SketchUp. In the plans it mentions that the location of the port/hand hold is precise to avoid hitting internal parts. Best I can tell, it will fit fine, even with the slight position modification I chose to make. Hopefully I'm not eating my words in a week when it comes time to slide the horn into the outer shell :conf:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#15 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:25 pm I think Incerlik, Turkey.
That sounds right, now that you mention it. :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's