Pair of WH6 Lites build

Post your build odyssey here.
Strange Kevin

Re: Pair of WH6 Lites build

#16 Post by Strange Kevin »

+1 for the "port handle donut ring things!"
They look super comfy!

The rest of the build looks to be coming along nicely as well. Keep up the good work!
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Bryan Cox

#17 Post by Bryan Cox »

Seth/Bill,

Correct! I am at Incirlik, Turkey. 4 months in and going strong.

Seth, how'd you know I was creeping around? Haha. Actually, it's part of my morning and nightly routine. I read the forum with my coffee and again before I go to sleep.

Things are going good here, fellas. Just knocked a major inspection out of the park and am now on the gravy train with biscuit wheels. LOL. I'm not really, but things are calming down. I can see the retirement light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm enjoying all the posts; living vicariously though the various builds. Matter of fact, I think I'm gonna build some WHs myself at some point. We shall see.

Take care, gents!
Bryan
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Seth

#18 Post by Seth »

Bryan Cox wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:09 am Seth, how'd you know I was creeping around?
I hadn't seen much of you and Charles lately, so I checked your profiles to see how long it had been since you guys checked in. Charles last signed in back in August :( . But, you were in just the day before, which I was pleased to see.

Glad to hear you're doing well there. Hope you get a good and proper Thanksgiving dinner!
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#19 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

What, you don't think they have turkey in Turkey?

Besides, he's Air Force. They eat almost as well as the Navy. :D

Seth

#20 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:58 pm What, you don't think they have turkey in Turkey?

Besides, he's Air Force. They eat almost as well as the Navy. :D
:loler:
That's funny Bill. I hadn't thought of that.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#21 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Actually they don't have turkeys in Turkey. In the middle ages Turkish traders sold West African fowl that ended up being called turkeys by the English. When the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts they called the native North American fowl they found turkey, even though the two species were not related. The Pilgrims apparently were no brighter than Columbus, who called the indigenous people Indians, even though India was some 9,000 miles away, while from Hispaniola the shortest route to India as the crow flies is to go east. And yet they erected statues to that bozo... :confused:

Seth

#22 Post by Seth »

I thought a little more about the conversation we had about adding a switch to select which of the two circuits in a 4 pole SpeakOn to operate on and capacitors to protect the drivers from low frequency signals.

I'm going to take Bills feedback (is that a bad word to use in an audio forum???) and forego adding the additional capacitor.

My mind went down a little rabbit hole considering options with the switch. Thought about making a little bar over the switch that holds it in the 2 position, that could be removed with a couple screws to put it in the 1 position when desired. Then I thought about just putting the switch inside the cab, gaining access to it by removing the speaker access panel. Naw... both of those seem like too much to do. Then a light bulb came on :idea: and the world became clear. A switch would be handy, but it leaves the speaker slightly vulnerable to damage (I'll explain why in the next paragraph). However, a 1-to-2/2-to-1 switching pigtail would be nearly as handy and eliminate the possibility of accidentally having a switch in the wrong configuration. When I know I want the cab on circuit 1, put the pigtail on. That solves that. Happy to have come to that conclusion. Will eliminate having to craft a recessed pocket for a switch, so less work too. :thumbsup:

Here's one of the reasons I wanted to figure that out... I think I'm going to put a top hat in the bottom of these. Not for any particular planned use, but more of a way to add versatility by being able to use them as small, compact, lightweight PA mains if the need ever arises. I think just having that option is a cool added value. Running the numbers, two of these stacked top to top (the top one upside down) on 100w/20v should be able to match the output of a 4x6 SLA Pro on 400w/56v... also pretty cool :thumbsup:

And for that reason, I'm planning to mount the tweeters (going with the melded option) as high as possible in the cab so they'll hopefully be close enough to effectively couple when stacked.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the thought process and drag your mind along for a ride down my rabbit hole.
Last edited by Seth on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#23 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:19 pm Actually they don't have turkeys in Turkey. In the middle ages Turkish traders sold West African fowl that ended up being called turkeys by the English. When the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts they called the native North American fowl they found turkey, even though the two species were not related. The Pilgrims apparently were no brighter than Columbus, who called the indigenous people Indians, even though India was some 9,000 miles away, while from Hispaniola the shortest route to India as the crow flies is to go east. And yet they erected statues to that bozo... :confused:
A speaker designer, novelist... and a history teacher??? Impressive. Thanks for the lesson :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#24 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I have a BA in history, never really used it. College was what I did to occupy myself during the day when I was playing music at night to pay for it.

Dale Hammer

#25 Post by Dale Hammer »

If only more folks would read a history book once in a while.

keithgrif

#26 Post by keithgrif »

...and turkey (the bird) is called D'inde (India) in French for similar reasons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=d%27ind ... =d%27inde

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#27 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

And there's what we call corn in the US, Canada and Oz. In Europe 'corn' is a generic term for grain, so the name corn was applied by the English settlers to this new world grain, while in Europe it was called Indian corn to distinguish it from wheat,rye and barley, though it had no connection with India.

Bryan Cox

#28 Post by Bryan Cox »

Damn you guys are on a roll today. 🤣 To answer some things...have no idea about turkey in Turkey. We aren't allowed off base any more so I can't validate. But, we do have a commissary which stocks all the Thanksgiving necessities. As far as eating almost as well as the Navy....I don't know. Our commissary is good, but the chow halls are crap. It's about the same as Golden Corral. Everything is from a can, dehydrated, bagged, powdered, etc.. and it's not uncommon to get undercooked chicken.

Other than those things, life is moving fast here. Just worked my 41st 16 hour day in a row. The days kinda blue together but my family isn't here so what else am I gonna do? In the end, it makes the year go by faster.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Seth

#29 Post by Seth »

Alright you turkeys...

I put a little time in today. Made templates for the upper and lower horn pieces. Dimensions are modified from those stated in the plans to trim a little extra weight off. Ultimately, it's probably not worth the extra effort, but it's what I did. Was having a hard time staying focused and motivated today. Just pushed my way through it and decided to call it before finishing the parts off with a light detailing.

Anyway, Horn tops and horn bottoms are cut out. After they're sanded smooth I just have 4 Mouth panels and 4 throat panels to cut out... then on to assembly.

Evidence of todays doings...
20201113_160011.jpg

Honestly, I don't feel like these templates were as slick and helpful as the one I did the other day for the baffles. Took a lot of time to make them. Perhaps I'll appreciate them more when I build another pair.
Last edited by Seth on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#30 Post by Seth »

I finished up sanding and smoothing the top and bottom horn panels today. They came out real nice.

Also cut out the mirror image throat and horn sides. I forgot to put the bevel on the one side of the throat sides. But, was able to run them through and trim the bevel angle into them without effecting the finished width. No harm, no foul (not the turkey kind).

Before actually doing it, I was a little intimidated by all the compound angles of the horn sides, but they were actually pretty easy. First, I cut the panels to their finished height, then cut the two parallel sides with their angles to the finished width, then sketched out the rest and pushed them through the table saw with the miter gauge, achieving impressively accurate results.
Ultimately, no big deal.

I wanted to at least get something glued together today, so I went ahead and got started by gluing and tacking the throat sides in place. So far, I've been using a 23g pin nailer and it seems to be holding okay. But I dropped it and it's now jammed. Magazine isn't aligned with the head anymore, so that put an end to the day. I'll have to look at it a little closer tomorrow. I'm sure I can realign it and get it going again.

Sorry, forgot the better camera today.

Baffles and throat sides laid out for assembly
20201115_152927.jpg

All the notes... It's in the plans. They came in handy. Sometimes all the angles and pieces and left's/right's and up's/down's and in's/out's can get a little confusing. I read another Wedgehorn build and some parts got made without the mirror image dimensions. Whoever that was probably saved my butt from doing the same thing. I made real sure to lay everything out and make separate parts. It would be visually helpful if the plans had pics with dimensions and angles of both orientations. If nothing more than as a reminder not to make two of the same, but one of each. In any case, I managed to avoid that pitfall.
20201115_152934.jpg

Here's where I left off for the day. It's starting to take some shape!
20201115_155415.jpg

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's