Pair of WH6 Lites build

Post your build odyssey here.
Seth

Re: Pair of WH6 Lites build

#91 Post by Seth »

Thanks for the compliment Howie :thumbsup:

Ya remember that little conversation we had about procrastination? This project has fallen victim too. It's so close to being done. Gotta get on it!

I'm really pleased with the results I'm getting with the thin model cement. Since I don't plan to put grills on these, I want the melded array to be as perfect looking as possible. With the thin cement there's virtually no squeeze out from the joints. Which looks pretty good to my eye. I can still see the seam and I'll see what I can do to blend them all to look like one uniform piece. I do plan to add some bulk to the back of the joints. Not sure what I'll do for that. Probably just gob on some thick slurry.

I watched a bunch of YouTube vids about ABS bonding and it seems MEK may have the same or similar results as the model cement, at a much lower cost per volume of product. Who knows, maybe the cement IS MEK??? Anyway, I haven't created the opportunity to test MEK yet. But, I think it would be best applied with a very thin artist style brush. In the US, MEK can be found at most any home improvement or local hardware store in the paint section... right where the acetone is. I recall reading that there are some countries throughout the world that MEK is not available (illegal to sell retail).

When I get around to doing the DR's, I plan to not use a grill at all. Exposed butt cheeks and no driver visible aught to raise some curiosity and questions, which I like and look forward to. I enjoy unique looking things. I've considered putting a grill down the center, over the melded array. But, I'm not entirely convinced that I don't want that to be visible too. All the contours in the melded array look pretty cool to my eye. Would be a shame to hide it... unless my assembly of them isn't as clean and uniform as I intend. If they're not 95%+ uniform, they'll probably get a grill with A/C foam backer, which I think would still look pretty cool.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

howiez

#92 Post by howiez »

I used to work in a plastic mill when I was young. We had MEK on tap, and we were warned it was badass stuff.
I'll check my local paint section!

AntonZ

#93 Post by AntonZ »

Yep, better use in summer and have ample ventilation. In winter we tend to stay inside and keep doors and windows closed. The strong solvents are not good for ye ole brain.

Rich4349

#94 Post by Rich4349 »

Seth wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:50 pm I watched a bunch of YouTube vids about...
NOOOOOO, not YOU, Seth! :lol: :lol: :lol: I would pay good money to see your Youtube history! lol
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

howiez

#95 Post by howiez »

AntonZ wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:23 pm Yep, better use in summer and have ample ventilation. In winter we tend to stay inside and keep doors and windows closed. The strong solvents are not good for ye ole brain.
At my age I can't afford to lose any more brain cells!

Seth

#96 Post by Seth »

Rich4349 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 pm
Seth wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:50 pm I watched a bunch of YouTube vids about...
NOOOOOO, not YOU, Seth! :lol: :lol: :lol: I would pay good money to see your Youtube history! lol
Right? LOL

Gonna reply in more depth in the chat thread :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

matmonster58

#97 Post by matmonster58 »

How's the build coming along Seth?

Seeing the two wh6 stacked together has inspired me. I'd love to see how they preform for pa duty.

My circle plays almost exclusively acoustic music. A wh6 might be the perfect speaker for me. A tiny monitor for larger gigs (we use little monitor power in the first place), and a tiny pa speaker for small gigs. The wh6 should be great for amplifying guitars, violins, and vocals at coffee houses and weddings

Seth

#98 Post by Seth »

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I haven't touched the project since June... 2021. :oops:

Perhaps you bringing it up is just nudge I needed to pick up where I left off and get these things buttoned up.

I just need to trim the top and bottom of the 2nd horn assembly, router out the hole and recess for the top hats, glue in the SpeakOn jacks, put the other side of the shell on, glue the horn into the outer shell, do the access panel flange, access panel, put the tweeters in, final sand, paint, duratex, and wire 'em all up... I think.

When I do get them completed, I'll do a comprehensive comparison to a 2x6 SLA Pro and an inexpensive 8" PA speaker I have. Maybe it'll be good for what you're thinking, or maybe something else will be better.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grey Owl

#99 Post by Grey Owl »

Hi All,
Just catching up on the news; been overseas for a while & busy with life etc.
You're leaving me hanging here Seth - I've got photo withdrawal symtoms!!!!!
Waiting........ :D :D :D
Cheers
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Seth

#100 Post by Seth »

Good to see you back David :thumbsup:

Sorry to leave you guys hanging on this one. I'll give the project a dust off, look over the plans, and figure out where I left off tomorrow.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Tom Smit

#101 Post by Tom Smit »

Seth wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm...... and figure out where I left off tomorrow.
NO wonder they are not finished! I hope you can reattach tomorrow back to the regular schedule! :lol: :lol: You need to get tomorrow back again.
TomS

Seth

#102 Post by Seth »

Tom Smit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:39 pm
Seth wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm...... and figure out where I left off tomorrow.
NO wonder they are not finished! I hope you can reattach tomorrow back to the regular schedule! :lol: :lol: You need to get tomorrow back again.
You couldn't be more right, Tom. :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#103 Post by Seth »

I did it! I got tomorrow back into today. Although, not a whole lot accomplished.

Pulled out my printed instructions and found where I am... trimming the horns to fit into the shell. I did trim one of them prior, so just have to do the other then on to the next step. I figured I may as well go ahead and do it, so I cleared off the table saw and was about to put the toothed blade back in it (it's got the abrasive blade that I use to cut piezo's in it at the moment). But, I was fighting mosquito's off like Braveheart. Decided I'd better do it during daylight hours. So, I created another tomorrow I'll have to capture and put where it belongs :mrgreen:

I did pull the cabs out to take a pic as proof it occurred, and because I said I would. Cab on the left has the horn trimmed and slides into the shell. Cab on the right needs the horn trimmed, if you look closely, you can see that it's too tall and doesn't fit in the shell.
20221019_192307.jpg

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

CarterKraft

#104 Post by CarterKraft »

Looking forward to this. I like watching the builds!
Weldon Carter

Tom Smit

#105 Post by Tom Smit »

Thumbs up, Seth!
TomS