First Build SX212

Post your build odyssey here.
Jgriff

First Build SX212

#1 Post by Jgriff »

First build. A Simplexx 212 from a Speaker Hardware flat pack w/ 3012HO drivers. It was a lot of fun to build. The one big mistake I made was not following the plans and using T Nuts for the speaker mounts. A couple stripped but hopefully it won't cause too many issues. 55 lbs.
IMG_3006.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3007.jpg
Last edited by Jgriff on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jgriff

Re: First Build SX212

#2 Post by Jgriff »

A few more build photos.
Attachments
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2759.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Nicely done.....how in the world did you strip out T-nuts? I used those on my first builds, but with Neo drivers, it's just not necessary anymore.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

TNuts used to be made much better than they are today. I stopped using them quite a few years ago,

Jgriff

#5 Post by Jgriff »

I learned my lesson and won’t use them again. The T nuts stripped the surrounding wood and just spin. Just plugged it in and it sounds fantastic. Much more lively sounding than the pair of SVT 112AVs I have been using.
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:09 pm TNuts used to be made much better than they are today. I stopped using them quite a few years ago,

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Jgriff wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 pm I learned my lesson and won’t use them again. The T nuts stripped the surrounding wood and just spin. Just plugged it in and it sounds fantastic. Much more lively sounding than the pair of SVT 112AVs I have been using.
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:09 pm TNuts used to be made much better than they are today. I stopped using them quite a few years ago,
I'm guessing you used hurricane nuts and not T-nuts. T-nuts have prongs that you drive into the wood so they don't spin. I though you meant you stripped out the threads inside the nuts.

I use them quite often in other projects.....

Hurricane nuts.....will spin without epoxy.
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-exp ... 6MQAvD_BwE

T-nuts ....... hang on quite well....
https://www.grainger.com/product/1XGH6? ... 128465477!

However, you can stop hurricane nuts from spinning. On the flange, drill a small hole and use a small screw to lock it into the wood.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm I'm guessing you used hurricane nuts and not T-nuts. T-nuts have prongs that you drive into the wood so they don't spin. I though you meant you stripped out the threads inside the nuts.
I had problems with the prongs bending, so the nuts would spin, and with stripped threads as well. Hurricane nuts were better, but still not perfect. I figured if someone with my experience had trouble with them that I didn't want to recommend them to less experienced builders, so I devised a way that's near impossible to screw up.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm I'm guessing you used hurricane nuts and not T-nuts. T-nuts have prongs that you drive into the wood so they don't spin. I though you meant you stripped out the threads inside the nuts.
I had problems with the prongs bending, so the nuts would spin, and with stripped threads as well. Hurricane nuts were better, but still not perfect. I figured if someone with my experience had trouble with them that I didn't want to recommend them to less experienced builders, so I devised a way that's near impossible to screw up.
Driving the prongs into BB can be a little tough, but usually not an issue. You can always give then a tap then pre-drill 'em just a little bit. I'm sure there are different quality T-nuts also....

But, not really necessary on your cabs. I haven't used 'em in a cab (for speakers) since my T39s. I have used 'em for other projects - most recently on my Princeton cab that I built. I get tired of screws coming out of rubber feet on cabs, so I used the T-nuts for the feet.
Also for the handle on top. They have their place.

It's hard to get the recex screws (at least I can't find 'em), so I've been using lag screws with lock washers.....works great and the hex head lessens the chance that a screw bit on a drill/driver could end up going through a cone.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210