DIY SLA Pro Grills

Post your build odyssey here.
jimbo7

DIY SLA Pro Grills

#1 Post by jimbo7 »

This was a project I've wanted to do since building my SLA's. Leaving speakers exposed freaks me out, whether for home audio or outdoor pro audio. The latter is for obvious reasons. Recently I "found" an old air duct return grill from an office remodel that looked like perfect speaker grill material. It's about 1mm thick with 4mm diameter holes spaced 6.5mm on center, so pretty much the same as you can buy retail. Here's my first ever journey to build metal grills.

First, I laid both speakers on this 2ftx2ft grill to make sure I had enough. Yes, I did. Then I thought it'd be smart to make a template instead of marking up the grill with construction lines that'll make a general contractor dizzy. So on to my C.A.D. designing. The black outline is the actual cab dimensions that it just laid it on and traced it. The red lines are the grill dimensions to cut and bend so it'll end up flush and seat against the baffle.

Here's the templete cut out and bent to form my cardboard grill. (FYI a solid cardboard piece without any pre-formed creases makes life easier)

Ok, so that didn't fit because the cardboard is 3x thicker than the grill. :wall: So I had to math and cut another that fit better after being bent.

So I laid it out on the grill and traced the cut lines. I was gonna use a dremel, but this was at night and in the basement, so tin-snips it was. Boy does it suck cutting metal with tin-snips. I cut/stabbed myself a dozen times at least. My cut lines were on the the holes, so that make it easier to cut a few inches then bend the scrap. To form the bend, I just used the 3/4" mdf table-top I was using. I lined it up with my bend mark and gently tapped the hammer against it going up and down the side. When I had it all evenly bent, I used a little more force to make a nice sharper and straighter angle. The whole times you have to make sure your bend is still on that line and your holes will line up. I didn't have a pic of this step, but you'll see it on the second grill further down.

Here's the first finished grill.

The next day I thought there has to be and easier way to do this. So what I came up with is another baffle or "die" or "negative" or whatever you wanna call it to form the grill around. Like how you's imagine a machine would have a mold that would presss the shape into. I just cut another baffle, but just short of the saw-blade kerf to fit the grill bends (14"x10" - 1/8" each side). With some scrap wood I now have a smaller baffle that fits inside the inset baffle. Next I laid the baffle on the grill and traced around it making sure the lines were on the holes and square. Then I drew another square around that for the bend and for how deep I wanted the grill to inset to make the front flush.

Yes, it's not evenly spaced all around, but that's the only way to line up with the holes to cut.

Then I took my hammer and started forming the bends

Now all corners are done and everything looks square.

After this pic I realized the grill was stuck to the wood. I didn't wanna bend the grill back to get it out, so I stuck a screw in the grill and punched the wood out. Lesson learned.

Now I have another pre-formed grill that with a little bending and effort fit right in and is holding tight. The white is kinda growing on me, but I'll probably paint it satin black later.

BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Dale Hammer

Re: DIY SLA Pro Grills

#2 Post by Dale Hammer »

Nice work!

Bryan Cox

#3 Post by Bryan Cox »

Looks great, Jimbo!
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 »

Thanks guys.

I planned on using some magnets to hold the grill in place, but I don't really think it necessary anymore.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

himhimself

#5 Post by himhimself »

Good job, definitely looks pro. When I cut my grills, I used an angle grinder with a cutoff disc. Went through the perfed steel like butter.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Great job. Looks nice.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:35 pm Good job, definitely looks pro. When I cut my grills, I used an angle grinder with a cutoff disc. Went through the perfed steel like butter.
Sandwich the grill between two pieces of scrap ply with the edge of both pieces of wood on the cut line with the grill cutoff waste sticking out. Clamp it together and use a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw. Follow the edge of the plywood for the straight cut......rinse and repeat...

You can use this same method for bending....leave the lip sticking out and start hammering the bend...the ply on each side holds the grill in place and won't move around.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

AntonZ

#8 Post by AntonZ »

jimbo7 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:52 pmSo on to my C.A.D. designing.
C.A.D. for Cardboard Aided Design.

Smart, well done and thanks for sharing.

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

:clap:
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...