2x Tuba 30 Build (First Build)

Post your build odyssey here.
jdthorpe

Re: 2x Tuba 30 Build (First Build)

#16 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks again for the recent posts/advice guys. It was a rough week at work so I’m just seeing the posts from a few days ago.

Out of curiosity, how many “handles” did you guys cut or install on your Tuba 30s? I’m going 24” wide so I’ve cut 2 handles (one on each side of the panels rather than one in the middle) for easier handling for one person. But, I think I went a little nuts and cut the two handles on the panel 7/8 junction, 8/10 junction, and 10/12 junction. I’ve seen other people do that many handles and Bill’s 3-D designs show that many handles as an option as well but I’m wondering how professional my Tubas are going to look with that many handles on them. I know it will make my job easier when I have to carry them around but I want them to look good as well. It doesn’t matter at this point because they’re already cut and that’s how it’s going to be, but I was just curious how many handles you guys cut into your Tubas and how good it looks.

jdthorpe

#17 Post by jdthorpe »

Also, so I understand, why do we use speakon connectors instead of XLR connectors with the subwoofer builds? Are they a more high quality, professional connector or is it a cost/benefits thing? I just ask out of curiosity because a lot of the “professional” powered/active dj subwoofers that you can buy have XLR connectors. Thanks again.
-Jeff

Seth

#18 Post by Seth »

Hey Jeff, I'm Seth. I'm enjoying your thread. Thanks for taking me along your journey with you.

XLR connectors are for line level/low power connections. Between microphones and a mixer, between a mixer and signal processor (EQ, Crosover, etc.)... and as you mentioned, they're also used to supply a signal to powered speakers (the amplifier is built into the speaker), or in our case XLR connections to an traditional outboard amplifier. The speakON connectors are use for high power connections post amplification.

Line level/low power signal before the amplifier = XLR
High power after the amplifier = speakON
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

jdthorpe

#19 Post by jdthorpe »

SethRocksYou wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm Hey Jeff, I'm Seth. I'm enjoying your build thread. Thanks for taking me along your journey with you.

XLR connectors are for line level/low power connections. Between microphones and a mixer, between a mixer and signal processor (EQ, Crosover, etc.)... and as you mentioned, they're also used to supply a signal to powered speakers (the amplifier is built into the speaker), or in our case XLR connections to an traditional outboard amplifier. The speakON connectors are use for high power connections post amplification.

Line level/low power signal before the amplifier = XLR
High power after the amplifier = speakON
Thanks SethRocks! That totally makes sense. Obviously inside the active subwoofer enclosure there are speakon-type high power connectors/cables running from the internal amplifier to the drivers. Sorry, total newbie question...lol

One of these days I’ll get some photos uploaded. It always makes it more interesting when you can see exactly how the different forum members go about their builds. I don’t have a nice shop like some guys, but I have some decent power tools that make life easier with these types of projects. I just feel like I need to hurry up and get these done! I know, I know, I need to take my time and do it right the first time and not be in a rush.

himhimself

#20 Post by himhimself »

I have a pair of 20" wide T30s and put a single centered handle at 8/10 and 10/12. I purposely did not put a handle on the front at 7/8 because I thought it might look weird. I may still cut one in, or maybe just attach a some kind of small lip that would make it easier when reaching up there to rock the cabinet back onto its wheels (on either side of the handle at 10/12). Once they are back on the wheels, the single handle at 8/10 is fine for steering them around.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Seth

#21 Post by Seth »

jdthorpe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm Obviously inside the active subwoofer enclosure there are speakon-type high power connectors/cables running from the internal amplifier to the drivers.
There's not likely to be speakON connectors in a somewhat permanent application that doesn't require regular connecting and disconnecting. Such as inside a powered speaker, where the only time the wires would need to be disconnected between the amp and driver would be if it needed service or replacement, which may never occur. Appropriate cabling? Yes, but you're likely to see crimp on spade connections to drivers in most cases.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

jdthorpe

#22 Post by jdthorpe »

SethRocksYou wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:41 pm
jdthorpe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm Obviously inside the active subwoofer enclosure there are speakon-type high power connectors/cables running from the internal amplifier to the drivers.
There's not likely to be speakON connectors in a somewhat permanent application that doesn't require regular connecting and disconnecting. Such as inside a powered speaker, where the only time the wires would need to be disconnected between the amp and driver would be if it needed service or replacement, which may never occur. Appropriate cabling? Yes, but you're likely to see crimp on spade connections to drivers in most cases.
Gotcha!

jdthorpe

#23 Post by jdthorpe »

Just to clarify (the plans aren’t very specific on this)... when I mount my driver to the baffle I do not ”drop” the driver through the hole and screw it down that way, instead the driver is placed flush to the face of the baffle and screwed in? Hopefully that makes sense. I was actually thinking it was done the other way (by lowering the back part of the driver through the hole and screwing it on that way) so I was confused as to why the mounting hall was supposed to be cut 1/8” smaller than the inside diameter of the driver mounting gasket.

Grant Bunter

#24 Post by Grant Bunter »

As long as you cut the baffle size correctly, you're on the money, place the driver over the hole and screw it down.

Think about it for a second, the horn throat and mouth isn't sufficiently deep enough to allow the driver to be put in the other way...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#25 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jdthorpe wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 pm Just to clarify (the plans aren’t very specific on this)...
The Sketchup is. :bash:

jdthorpe

#26 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks guys. Yep, Bill you’re right...it’s right there in the sketchup! The funny thing is, I have been looking at the sketchup on a regular basis and studying it but this time I did not think to look at it...aaarrrggghhh!

jdthorpe

#27 Post by jdthorpe »

Ok, I honestly did read through the instructions several times prior to cutting any wood, but I made a slight mistake that hopefully won’t come back to bite me in the butt later. I got overzealous when I was cutting out my access panels and I cut all of them out in the beginning...forgetting that the second panel on each Tuba isn’t supposed to be cut out until everything is assembled so you can custom fit the access panels to how everything else comes together. I guess if thing are a bit out of whack and the “pre-cut” panels don’t fit right I’ll buy another sheet of plywood and make a couple new side panels. Learn from my mistake...LOL.

jdthorpe

#28 Post by jdthorpe »

As I’m gluing & assembling my first Tuba I’m noticing that the PL Premium that has squished out the sides of the panels is getting slightly crumbly if I scrape at it as it is drying. Is that normal? It comes out of the tube nice & gooey and spreads a nice bead, but I was a little surprised when I touched it a few hours later and found it to be a little crumbly. It does have a plastified (if that’s a word) quality to it as well, so it may just be how this stuff changes as it’s setting/curing/drying. Like I said, I scraped a little away and it seemed crumbly, but I may be wrong. Thanks.

Tom Smit

#29 Post by Tom Smit »

It might be too dry. Try misting the join with water and wait for the water to soak in before applying the PL.
TomS

jdthorpe

#30 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks Tom! I am in Phoenix doing my build outside so that may be the case. I did test the joints that have dried and theyare very strong so I think I was just getting paranoid, but I’ll try the misting trick.