2x Tuba 30 Build (First Build)

Post your build odyssey here.
whines

Re: 2x Tuba 30 Build (First Build)

#31 Post by whines »

jdthorpe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm As I’m gluing & assembling my first Tuba I’m noticing that the PL Premium that has squished out the sides of the panels is getting slightly crumbly if I scrape at it as it is drying. Is that normal? It comes out of the tube nice & gooey and spreads a nice bead, but I was a little surprised when I touched it a few hours later and found it to be a little crumbly. It does have a plastified (if that’s a word) quality to it as well, so it may just be how this stuff changes as it’s setting/curing/drying. Like I said, I scraped a little away and it seemed crumbly, but I may be wrong. Thanks.
I'm used to a phase after it stops being sticky, the perfect time for scraping it with a chisel if appearance is important, and yeah, it has a wierd texture to it. I suspect that's normal!
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

jdthorpe

#32 Post by jdthorpe »

whines wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm
jdthorpe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm As I’m gluing & assembling my first Tuba I’m noticing that the PL Premium that has squished out the sides of the panels is getting slightly crumbly if I scrape at it as it is drying. Is that normal? It comes out of the tube nice & gooey and spreads a nice bead, but I was a little surprised when I touched it a few hours later and found it to be a little crumbly. It does have a plastified (if that’s a word) quality to it as well, so it may just be how this stuff changes as it’s setting/curing/drying. Like I said, I scraped a little away and it seemed crumbly, but I may be wrong. Thanks.
I'm used to a phase after it stops being sticky, the perfect time for scraping it with a chisel if appearance is important, and yeah, it has a wierd texture to it. I suspect that's normal!
Speaking of scraping the PL Premium “spillover,” is it necessary to scrape the extra adhesive that oozes from the joints or is that just strictly for aesthetics? If it is left can it affect performance in any way? I’d obviously scrape any that is visible from the outside or up into the mouth of the Tuba but I’m debating whether or not it’s worth the time to scrape around panels 1-4 that nobody will see.

Thanks again!

Strange Kevin

#33 Post by Strange Kevin »

Nope, don't bother scraping out the PL you can't see, its not hurting anything.

Also, out here in AZ a little humidity is your friend.
When I first moved out, PL would take forever to cure, now I have a little swamp cooler in the shop and it makes a world of difference on cure time. - plus I can work longer than 5 minutes at a time. :)
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

jdthorpe

#34 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks for the tip Kevin. I may need to invest in a swamp cooler!

jdthorpe

#35 Post by jdthorpe »

I’ve read Bill’s thread on sub placement and have a question. Outdoors, is it better to “ground angle” 2 Tuba 30s side by side to use the ground as a boundary or to V-couple the Tubas and just aim them toward the crowd? I’m DJing a church fall festival this weekend and of course they decided to put me in the worst possible spot in the parking lot for my set up. Thanks...

And, I gotta give a huge shout out to Kevin and Kyle Strange for helping me out a ton with getting my gear set up and ready for this weekend. These two guys are hilarious and the nicest guys in the world! Thanks again.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#36 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

V coupling is better, as it extends the horn path. Which way they aim doesn't matter much, it takes a very large grouping of subs for them to go directional.

jimbo7

#37 Post by jimbo7 »

For the jack panel and access panel I use foam weather-stripping that you seal leaks around doors and windows. You can find it in any hardware store. 1 should be plenty but get 2 since it's cheap.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

jdthorpe

#38 Post by jdthorpe »

Thanks again to everyone for the info. I've taken way to long to finish these, but they're almost done. Just sanding them down and will paint them on Monday.

Strange Kevin

#39 Post by Strange Kevin »

Thanks for the shout out Jeff.
Glad we could help!

Good luck on your show!

jdthorpe

#40 Post by jdthorpe »

I finally finished both Tubas today and took them to a local church parking lot for my first v-coupled, wall loaded test run. I totally rattled the neighbors’ windows and most of them liked it (a lot of my friends in that neighborhood) but one lady came stomping down the street and screamed, “turn that **** off!” I politely turned it off of course. Unfortunately that’s the same parking lot I’m going to be bumping the bass in this coming Saturday. I’m sure she’ll call the cops this time!

What size do photos need to be to upload them here on the forum? I’d like to get a bunch of pictures from the build posted. Thanks again for everybody’s help. These Tuba 30s are pretty awesome.

Strange Kevin

#41 Post by Strange Kevin »

:clap: :clap: :hyper:

Tom Smit

#42 Post by Tom Smit »

TomS

LelandCrooks

#43 Post by LelandCrooks »

It's all perspective. A few years back I went to a big band concert, Woody Herman IIRC. It was loud. I mean rock concert loud. When the horns hit hard I found it painfully so. All the white hairs were just bobbin along.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com