Titan 39 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Bryan Cox

Re: Titan 39 Build

#136 Post by Bryan Cox »

Bryan Cox wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:15 pm
billkatz wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:43 pm I'm also a little worried about how much you trimmed from the upper flange - there is only a tiny bit left to seal with the driver cover at the top of the half-moon. I remember not cuting that at all on my T-39, and I don't see it trimmed in the sketchup model.
You're right. It doesn't say to trim it in the plans. It says that if the driver won't fit, then install the top horizontal brace with screws and gasket tape in between to seal the joint. I wasn't real comfortable with that seal. And I saw elsewhere on the forum where someone else did a similar technique...I ripped it off from them. Also, I ensured that I have at least 1/2" for my gasket tape.

You have cause for concern and it will be a point of attention for me. I'll report back how it works.

I haven't glued it down yet. So if it doesn't work then I'll just replace it with a piece that hasn't been trimmed.

Thanks for looking out.
Billkatz,

I said I'd report back about the upper flange cutout. There was enough material to fit the 1/2" gasket tape and the driver chamber cover mounting screws are spaced about 4" apart, just on either side of the cutout. I used the 1/2" clear tubing method when checking for leaks and found none.

Thanks for bringing it up. I did not incorporate the cutout in the following three cabs. It's a little trickier to get the drivers in but it works fine.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

ketoet

#137 Post by ketoet »

Damn. I'll bet your dad gets hit hard with road tax!!
Actually any pickup is just around 150€ yearly taxes because it's considered a commercial vehicle like a van.
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#138 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If some politician in Texas tried to tax pickups he'd get shot, by a rifle carried in a rack in the rear window of one of those pickups. In Texas you don't need a permit to have at least two rifles and a shotgun in your truck. You need a permit to not have them.

ketoet

#139 Post by ketoet »

150€ is peanuts compared to what you pay for a private car. My bmw 320 is around 500€ and my impreza is 420 + 170 because it's got lpg.
I'm glad we don't get to see guns on a daily basis here !
The biggest trailers we see around here are 3500kg max total weight(7700 pounds) and not many cars are allowed to tow them except some pickups.

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bruce Weldy

#140 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 pm If some politician in Texas tried to tax pickups he'd get shot, by a rifle carried in a rack in the rear window of one of those pickups. In Texas you don't need a permit to have at least two rifles and a shotgun in your truck. You need a permit to not have them.
Yep :cowboy:

I have seriously pulled into parking lots where there will be 12-15 trucks in a row. My wife drives an F150.....just so she can put her kayak in there.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

ketoet

#141 Post by ketoet »

It's a shame the big pickups are so much more expensive over here.

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#142 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Be thankful, the damn things clog up the roads. What's worse is that today's uberpickups don't have more capacity or space than those of yore, they're just bigger for no good reason. Worse, I'd say half, if not more, are purchased as passenger vehicles, not working trucks. Conspicuous consumption is the American way.

ketoet

#143 Post by ketoet »

I am one of the exceptions that would use it for work (like my dad does). My van isn't ideal on the muddy worksite's. My brother in law has a ford ranger that can tow the big trailers but you can feel it's at it's max when at max payload.
But you are correct that most of the american pickups here are used as luxury passenger vehicle's or to perhaps compensate for other shortcomings 😅

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

AntonZ

#144 Post by AntonZ »

The camper that we rented and drove on a vacation with my family in Canada would have required a full size truck drivers license in Europe. It was well over twice the max weight allowed for by our regular drivers license. I liked it :cowboy:

(but it would have been a disaster on European roads, let alone in European cities)

Bryan Cox

#145 Post by Bryan Cox »

I've also noticed here in North Dakota is similar to Texas. Many of these "guys" jump in their lifted 1/2 ton trucks to go to their bank jobs. Their trucks are pristine and I'm not sure anything more than groceries have ever been in their rhino lined beds. Makes me laugh.

Bruce Weldy

#146 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bryan Cox wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:57 pm I've also noticed here in North Dakota is similar to Texas. Many of these "guys" jump in their lifted 1/2 ton trucks to go to their bank jobs. Their trucks are pristine and I'm not sure anything more than groceries have ever been in their rhino lined beds. Makes me laugh.
Yeah, I see a lot of the jacked up trucks with lift kits and big tires around here. Seems silly. But, I love driving a truck. Of course, we had lots of room on the roads here. Parking spaces are plenty big.

And I have LineX instead of Rhino for my liner. :mrgreen:

I do so many projects where I'm throwing some lumber in the back or running to San Antonio for 5x5 BB that I couldn't imagine not having a truck.

I'm guessing that there are a dozen pickups just on my block. But, everything's bigger in Texas..... :cowboy:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#147 Post by Bryan Cox »

ketoet wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:42 pm 150€ is peanuts compared to what you pay for a private car. My bmw 320 is around 500€ and my impreza is 420 + 170 because it's got lpg.
I'm glad we don't get to see guns on a daily basis here !
The biggest trailers we see around here are 3500kg max total weight(7700 pounds) and not many cars are allowed to tow them except some pickups.
Luckily when I was there I didn't have to pay road tax. I had a small truck (GMC Canyon) and my wife had a Volvo XC90. If I had to pay road tax I would have been hit hard.

Tom Smit

#148 Post by Tom Smit »

ketoet wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:05 pm But you are correct that most of the american pickups here are.... (clip) ...... or to perhaps compensate for other shortcomings 😅
+1 :lol:
Or they are trophies.
TomS

Charles Jenkinson

#149 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

We bought a 13 year old Land Rover Discovery 3 in September. There were some practical reasons for getting it, not least 6 proper sized seats, but it’s not used to its max in any way – when I tried driving up a green lane, number 2 son complained of the bouncing around and Mrs J said, “can you turn around please”. It’s hard not to feel a little smug when driving it though, even for an old, cheap one like it is. We had a party on Saturday, and I was surprised that I could fit a 19” T30 through the rear passenger door without any problem. I don’t especially like the £80 fuel fill ups every fortnight and watching the fuel gauge dropping, but at 25mpg, it’s not bad for what it is.

Did I say, it's £570 road tax. Ouch.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#150 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

A friend of mine bought a Discovery. He discovered it was a piece of shit. It spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. :bash: