Tlah pro build

Post your build odyssey here.
Jcorn22

Tlah pro build

#1 Post by Jcorn22 »

Good morning. I am new to bfm speaker building forum. I have some experience in diy. I've built some diy soundgroup speakers and my most recent was the lx521s from Siegfried linkwitz. I am bit by the bug and enjoy the building process as a hobby. So, my next project is going to be the tlah pros for my future dedicated home cinema. So I bought the plans and I'm ready to begin cutting. I'm planning on using 1/2 inch mdf as it is much cheaper. My initial question is after looking over the build plans can the speaker be built with the speaker flipped, so the 5 inch top becomes the bottom? From what I understand the 3 inch end is not sealed. It would be easier to screw a base on the 5 inch end so it's not so tipsy. Will this change performance in any way?

If this can be done I thought I would build the wider end a couple inches longer and then apply a base to that extra mdf. Thanks for the help, I look forward to your responses.
Jim

jimbo7

Re: Tlah pro build

#2 Post by jimbo7 »

Build it like the plans say or don't build it at all.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Jcorn22

#3 Post by Jcorn22 »

Will do. Thanks for the friendly reply.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!

How big is your room? :shock: TLAHPros are intended for larger rooms, and used as a PA speaker. The regular TLAHs are plenty for a living room /HT room.

In regards to the base, it's in the plans on how to make it a floor-stander.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Indeed welcome to the forum :)

Jimbo's response may seem a bit harsh, but you'd be amazed at how many people come here and say something similar to you for X design.

While it's in the plans for HT designs, MDF sucks on so many levels. Cutting it, weight, hates water, blah blah blah lol.

Sure, it's DIY, and you can do what you want, but the cabs work best when built as described. You can get what you expect, and so on.

Tom has offered up the floor stander adaptation, maybe something else we can say might help too...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Jcorn22

#6 Post by Jcorn22 »

Thanks for the replys I appreciate it. I am going to build them by the specs exactly. My home theater is going to be 20x28 with 8 foot 7 inch ceilings. I'm totally into over kill, so I'm good with the pros. Actually got started yesterday. One cab almost done. I'm building out of mdf, which yes totally sucks to work with. I may rebuild them at some point out of ply. Again, thanks for posting the help. I will post some pics after they are done.😀

Jcorn22

#7 Post by Jcorn22 »

Good morning. What do most people use for center speaker and surrounds? I will be putting these speakers behind a transparent screen. I have seen that the best bet for center speaker would be another tlah pro. Is that correct? The curved sla is really cool looking. The other thing I was wondering is what do most people use for the surround speakers? Is it one of the slas? I'm sure it's all on the forum somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
Jim

whines

#8 Post by whines »

Jcorn22 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am Good morning. What do most people use for center speaker and surrounds? I will be putting these speakers behind a transparent screen. I have seen that the best bet for center speaker would be another tlah pro. Is that correct? The curved sla is really cool looking. The other thing I was wondering is what do most people use for the surround speakers? Is it one of the slas? I'm sure it's all on the forum somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
Jim
The curved SLA is a compromise that gives good horizontal dispersion despite being horizontal. If you have an acoustically transparent screen then use a vertical speaker.
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

Jcorn22

#9 Post by Jcorn22 »

Hello. Thanks for all your help up to this point I appreciate it. I have one speaker built and I am at the point to build the mounting. On the plans it shows how to build the pole mounts on the speaker, but I was wondering what u use as a base for the pole. I thought of an umbrella base, but not sure. I thought maybe some of u would have ideas for that. Thank u again.

Jim

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Pole mounts are for portable PA use, with PA stands like these:
https://www.amazon.com/PRORECK-Tripod-P ... 2838&psc=1

I doubt you'd want that for home theater.

Jcorn22

#11 Post by Jcorn22 »

I see now how that works. Boy the simplest ideas sometimes slip by me. Thanks bill.

Jcorn22

#12 Post by Jcorn22 »

If I dont use mounts for lcr I'm curious how a person would stand these speakers up since they are rather tipsy. Any suggestions on how others here on the forum have done it would be welcome.
Thanks

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Those I've seen in permanent installs were wall hung.

CoronaOperator

#14 Post by CoronaOperator »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm Those I've seen in permanent installs were wall hung.

.. usually with french cleats.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Jcorn22

#15 Post by Jcorn22 »

Hello. First of all thanks for everyone who has responded to help this far. I have finished my two tlah pros. I received my crossovers today. I looked on the forum for an answer, but had no luck. I am very much a novice at the x over etc... part of the speaker building process.

So now I am at the point of hooking everything up. I am mainly building these for home cinema. What would be the best configuration hook up for woofer, tweeter speaker? The other thing is can these be hooked up to an avr or do I need a pre pro with amps? Like I said I am a novice at this part and very limited knowledge. Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks!
Jim