Pair of Omnitop 212s and Titan 39s

Post your build odyssey here.
Delta_V

Pair of Omnitop 212s and Titan 39s

#1 Post by Delta_V »

Started this project mid March, working a little at a time. Previously built 2 Omnitop 12s and I'm a woodworking newbie with few tools but I'm having fun, learning some skills, making mistakes, getting frustrated at times, but at the end of the day feeling very satisfied accomplishing something. The Omnitops will be loaded with Eminence Delta Pro 12-450A wired in parallel and Kappalite 3012LF in the Titans (20" wide).

Start of build Mid - late March:

Most panels in place and you can see an Omnitop in the upper right.

I don't think the panels on one of the titans are perfectly straight, when I put the side on everything is kinda twisted about a quarter inch. The top, back, and bottom panel are in good alignment. I'm thinking of cutting a long skinny triangle piece to fill in when the side goes on. Next time I'll use some taller jigs and check carefully. I'm thinking I'll need at least a couple more Titan's to keep up with the tops, they'll mostly be used with house and other electronic genres. The Omnitops are basically ready to go just need to attach the back, of course as soon as I'm almost done, a cold & windy period has settled in for the weekend :x .

Tom Smit

Re: Pair of Omnitop 212s and Titan 39s

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Glad that you are enjoying your build.
How many braces are at the panels? It appears that you only have one at the back panel, whereas I think there should be 2 if not 3. Also, I can't see any braces between panel 4 and 6, and there should be at least one. The braces keep the panels from vibrating, and thus not absorb the energy.
TomS

Delta_V

#3 Post by Delta_V »

When I first cut all the panels I didn't take into account the braces so I had to wait for a 2nd body to help manhandle a 5x5 sheet to cut the rest of the back and mouth braces. I've got a couple more for the back ready and have built the mouth assembly, probably my low skill but I've had to do a lot of sanding to get the angle to fit right. There is a single long brace on 4/6 just out angle I guess, you can see the screws on 6.

J_Dunavin

#4 Post by J_Dunavin »

I’ve made a few T45s and T24s the braces were all trim to fit, so don’t worry about having to sand it down, as long as they fit good. :)
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Delta_V

#5 Post by Delta_V »

Mid-tops are done :hyper:

They sound awesome, I'm surprised at how much bass I was getting from just them alone, I high passed at 100hz and it felt lower.

Subs almost there, everything assembled and ready for duratex coating. Passed the air-tight test and with iphone app measurement performed the same as my existing two (bought not built).

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'll be the first to ask why you ruined the result by using those high frequency units ?

Delta_V

#7 Post by Delta_V »

Sure! There's a few factors; I don't like the sound of piezo arrays at all, so that's out. I don't need to stack cabs for a line array. I already had the horns and drivers. The diffraction horn looks like a tricky build and I didn't know how my building skills (or rather lack of) would affect the sound quality.

lumisonic

#8 Post by lumisonic »

I've seen it mentioned before, but why are high frequency units like that a bad choice? I don't remember the answer.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

When you do that the speaker is no longer a coincident source, vertical pattern control is nil, horizontal dispersion is narrower, they can't be arrayed, it's an inefficient use of pack space, yada yada yada. If that was the best way of arranging the LF and HF elements I'd have done it. But it's the worst way, so I didn't.