Finally Starting the Theater Build

Post your build odyssey here.
TXATC

Finally Starting the Theater Build

#1 Post by TXATC »

Well, it's been a long time coming. I purchased my plans QUITE some time ago, and they have been gathering dust. I finally had the time/funds to get the materials and start the build.

I purchased all the electronics and have those set aside for when the time comes. I was able to find some 1/2 BB ply locally for a decent price. I was also informed at that time that they sell 4x8 sheets of it as well as 5x5. I was unable to run the calculations for a 4x8 sheet on the spot so I just went with the 5x5 as I had originally planned. Another pleasant surprise was that the BB was actually 1/2in. I was expecting it to be a bit thinner, but digital calipers registered it .501. Made my calculations easier.

Right now, I'm just about halfway done ripping down the 5x5 sheets into the subsequent parts for a full 7.1 system. 2 SLA 6/9, 1 Curve SLA 9/9, and the surrounds. The speakers I sourced were the Goldwood tweets and the mids were GGRSFRFSHRFS......or something like that. I'll get the right name in a future post. Pictures will be forthcoming, and I hope to have them done by the end of the month. We shall see.

Thanks for reading, any tips would be great!
Semper Fi
TX

Bruce Weldy

Re: Finally Starting the Theater Build

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

TXATC wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:43 pm I was also informed at that time that they sell 4x8 sheets of it as well as 5x5. I was unable to run the calculations for a 4x8 sheet on the spot so I just went with the 5x5
First time I bought BB, it was 4x8 because that's how I did my calcs. However, it is cheaper by the square foot to buy the 5x5. Probably since 5x5 is their standard size where it's made. Been buying the 5x5 every since.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

88h88

#3 Post by 88h88 »

Only 7.1 ? I thought everything was bigger in Texas, double that sub number... ;)

Should be a really fantastic system, that.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

TXATC

#4 Post by TXATC »

Unfortunately, I dont think the room can take 2 subs. It sits above the garage and isnt all that well insulated. However, I believe the Table Tuba that will come in a future build will be adequate for boom.
Semper Fi
TX

ketoet

#5 Post by ketoet »

Hello

I have added a second ttls in my home cinema but not for adding more boom but to address room nodes. It made a clear difference in the sub response across the room!

Greetz ketoet
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

TXATC

#6 Post by TXATC »

Moving along,
I never realized that ripping down a 5x5 sheet would be so tedious. I didnt have the real estate for ripping it on my table saw, so I had to knock up a quick straight guide for my ancient Black n Decker circular saw. Once that was done, I was able to rip em down fairly easily.

I ripped the pieces to the center baffle about 2 inches wider than necessary. I plan on cutting them to final dimensions after cutting the holes. This way will be less cumbersome than trying to alternate bevel on a longer piece of stock. Next, holes.....lots and lots of holes.
Attachments
BB cut down
BB cut down
More BB cut down
More BB cut down
Semper Fi
TX

TXATC

#7 Post by TXATC »

Oh man, "hole" lotta problems :lol:
20190416_110535.jpg
Started off using this cutter. It took me an hour to cut 3 holes. Even after pulling the blade and sharpening it to chisel sharp, it just would not make it through the BB in a timely fashion. I dont have a handheld router, so I had to ask my grandfather to borrow his.
20190416_134033.jpg
Went to Blue Box store and snagged this jig for $40 bucks. Made the process much easier. Not without issues though. First off, I wish it had a pin system, instead after every hole, I have to unscrew the pivot screw to move on. Overall, not bad but still more time consuming than a jasper jig.
20190416_134035.jpg
Having a plunge router would be a great help as well. Using this fixed base router works, I just have to stop the router completely before adjusting for the final cut of the hole. Plunging would eliminate this step. Still faster than what I had. Once I get in a rhythm it just seems to progress on autopilot.
Attachments
Mid progress....56 holes is alot.
Mid progress....56 holes is alot.
Semper Fi
TX

TXATC

#8 Post by TXATC »

Well, got all of the holes drilled. Come to find out that my measurements weren't exact enough. EVERY hole is SLIGHTLY too small. I spent 3 hours hand sanding a few of them to get the speakers to a friction fit. Looks good when they are in there though.

Any tips or ideas on how to knock them to size quicker? I'm not too steady of a hand with the dremel or drum sander. I'm concerned if I went that route, they would end up out of round. Pics to come once they are all fit to the speakers.
Semper Fi
TX

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Make a drum sander for your drill. Take your hole cut-outs and stack and glue them together to make a drum. In the centre of the stack, drill a hole and insert a length of threaded rod (ready-rod, all-rod) and fasten it at both top and bottom of the stack, leaving some length to put in a drill chuck. Bond some sand paper to the edge so that it becomes a drum sander.
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Or buy one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-q ... cFEALw_wcB

And remember that he who dies with the most tools wins. :hyper:

jimbo7

#11 Post by jimbo7 »

I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about when I made my SLA's with router and home-made circle jig :cry:

Now I have a friend with a CNC who can make any template imaginable. Just a flush-trim bit and baffles are done in minutes. :hyper:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

TXATC

#12 Post by TXATC »

Well, I took the advice. Went to Blue Box store again and found a drum bit like Bill posted. Only one size bit, but it was $10 so that was a no brainer for me. Now holes are the proper size and I was able to round them over with a 3/8 round over bit on the router table. Quick and easy. Took maybe an hour to do all the holes using 80 grit paper and just sneaking up on it. I’ll post pictures of them later this evening after the holiday meal and family time.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Semper Fi
TX

TXATC

#13 Post by TXATC »

Here's the baffle pics, finally got them all rounded and sanded. I put the 4 surrounds together tonight, I'll post pics of those in the next few days once I get them all sanded down.

Question about the 6/9 edge round over. Do you guys glue/brad first then rout? Or the other way around? I'm building completely out of 1/2 BB so I'm concerned about hitting a brad with the bit if I do it after glue up.
20190430_105344.jpg
20190430_105337.jpg
Semper Fi
TX

Chris_Allen

#14 Post by Chris_Allen »

Nice, I even like the DOF effect from the camera shot :)
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

TXATC

#15 Post by TXATC »

Not sure why it’s doing that. Pretty sure it’s something I did......just ask my wife :lol:
Semper Fi
TX