Otop Jarray build x 4

Post your build odyssey here.
Tom Smit

Re: Otop Jarray build x 4

#76 Post by Tom Smit »

himhimself wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:40 pmReady for the block party with a week to spare!!! :hyper:
Almost. Almost done. Once you're rigged up next weekend, then you're done. But, you've made gooood progress, so far. :clap: Looking forward to your review!
TomS

himhimself

#77 Post by himhimself »

Well, the otops got their introduction yesterday. Ran them from about 4p until 11p. Got a late start for setting up, so was unable to get the tubas running off a bridged amp. No worries, plenty of volume. The otops sounded great. EQ curve looked pretty weird after autoEQ but it worked. Can't wait to play around some more with them and really dial them in. They are so efficient! One thing that really surprised me was how much sound comes out to the sides. There was a whole crowd of people camped out to the side - literally 90 degrees off axis, yet the music still sounded crisp and clear over there. Pretty cool.
I put pole mounts on the stacking bases, rolling them on a tube to find the center of gravity. However, after lifting one up onto the first pole, it was super creaky and did not inspire confidence. I had built some little "staging stands" to set them on, keeping the pole mount up off the ground, so we just set them back on those up on a deck so there was plenty of height across the yard, which sloped down anyway. Subs went under on a frame I built last year...looks like a little twin bed or something, but makes it easy to get a level surface to v-plate the tubas.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Tom Smit

#78 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
TomS