Jack 12 lite build

Post your build odyssey here.
Rob Shasta Guitar

Jack 12 lite build

#1 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Just got the bulk of the Jack 12 lite done, some diversions from the methods in the plans as I have lots of toys to play with. A big one is that I had to use 1/2"BB as time and availability allowed. I had time with my daughter at Girl Scout camp, and we do keep 1/2" in stock, but 1/4 was not easily found.

Though these may be considered production methods, that is not my intention, and have reviewed the first paragraph of the plans.

This project started with getting a vacuum press going with parts of DIY wiz Joe woodworker.

Credit for some of my methods goes to Charles Fox the renowned luthier who I did take a class from.
Please ask questions if you have some.

I start with templates of the curves:
Attachments
20180625_163027sm.jpg
20180621_151530sm.jpg
20180621_141455sm.jpg
Last edited by Rob Shasta Guitar on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sla Pro 5" drivers, t39 10" driver

Rob Shasta Guitar

Re: Jack 12 lite build

#2 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

The panels were made from 1/8 luan with cherry on top, 3 layers each sanded to .040 before pressing, I used titbond 2 for the lamination.
Attachments
Sled to trim the curved panel
Sled to trim the curved panel
In the bag
In the bag
Finished mould and panels
Finished mould and panels
Creating the moulds for the press
Creating the moulds for the press
pump almost done
pump almost done

Rob Shasta Guitar

#3 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

More jigs:
Attachments
Duct side cutter, the carriage is adjustable side to side to slowly get the fit right.
Duct side cutter, the carriage is adjustable side to side to slowly get the fit right.
Coming together, I did add some braces to help the horn sheath attach, every thing was done with a few pin nails.
Coming together, I did add some braces to help the horn sheath attach, every thing was done with a few pin nails.
20180707_093402sm.jpg
Different order here, I glued the ducts together first, here the braces go on, this is the jig they will be cut on, so the braces are attached with the help of the jig, this will index later.
Different order here, I glued the ducts together first, here the braces go on, this is the jig they will be cut on, so the braces are attached with the help of the jig, this will index later.
Small panels and jigs
Small panels and jigs

Rob Shasta Guitar

#4 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Current state of the build, hard parts done.
Attachments
Current state, my first duct install got a little glue stain, the second I kept under control and was clean.
Current state, my first duct install got a little glue stain, the second I kept under control and was clean.

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

You talked about it.
You've done it.

This is another level. Awesome!
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

J_Dunavin

#6 Post by J_Dunavin »

Nice!!
Great build!
How many hours you figure you have in that, so far?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Rob Shasta Guitar

#7 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Thank you Grant, this was a ton of fun for me.
How much time invested? Hmmm, not including the time making the vacuum press (8 hours), 25 hours is a decent estimate, that includes making all the jigs. With jigs made I could likely get to this point in 8 hours. Not sure when that may happen. Given the July 4th holiday and where we are in the workflow, we don't have any lumber deliveries coming, still on the hunt for 1/4"bb. Larger towns are an hour to the south, and 1.5 hours north, which now includes a major wildfire.
I'm looking to make the 3" semi sphere out of cherry to match, we have a lathe in the shop and some 8/4 cherry, but neither of us have used one other than in middle school shop for a minute. I'd be happy to have a woodturner make me a little bowl.
I have a basslite on the way as well as the behringer x air 12 coming today. As excited as I am to finish, I won't have much time this week between regular doors and drawers, kalimba parts that I sell online, parenting, and a performance thursday evening. I need to get the x air going for thursday, but don't need the speaker.

Rob Shasta Guitar

#8 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Back to work this week on this project. Some new braces and prepping for the lathe. Pics all were right side up when I selected them.
Attachments
gonna turn this thing on the lathe for the 3"semisphere, two cherry layers with 1/4 maple in the middle
gonna turn this thing on the lathe for the 3"semisphere, two cherry layers with 1/4 maple in the middle
I put little kerfs in them so the glue would stay in place and expand after sliding in.
I put little kerfs in them so the glue would stay in place and expand after sliding in.
setting these braces, little jig to help place them.
setting these braces, little jig to help place them.

ACUA

#9 Post by ACUA »

My build was looking great until you had to come along and :owned: me.

Great build on the build, I enjoy the content...
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Rob Shasta Guitar

#10 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

ACUA wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:08 am My build was looking great until you had to come along and :owned: me.

Great build on the build, I enjoy the content...
Thank you for the kind words. I've been following your build as well. I should really do a bit of an intro/resume though. I've been a full time custom woodworker for about 20 years, starting with an intro to violin making, then became a glazier, from there began my real journey reproducing windows and doors in San Francisco, lots of curves and custom moldings. I moved to a small Nor Cal town where I got into guitar making and took a class with Charles Fox. I currently work in a cabinet shop, not my shop, but a lot of the tools are mine. I got to speakers a lot like I got to guitar making, I wanted something I could not afford.
The half sheet of BB birch for the box was in stock and will come out of my pay at some point, all the rest of the wood is considered scrap. So the wood is cheap and available to me, though yet to find the thinner stock, but when I do, it will be delivered to our door. Finish will be in a full pro spray booth with a wonderful binks spray gun shooting top grade lacquer. We have two of each nail guns, staple, brad, and pin. The pin nailer is what I've used mostly, the holes are small enough that we don't fill them.
So I own lots of really cool tools, and part of a pro cabinet shop, my build comes from a different perspective, shoot, I barely even have to clean up after myself, some young guy comes by in the morning and cleans.
It is my sincere hope to share some other techniques with this forum that may help some others, this is to balance all the wisdom that Bill and the other tech sided builders share that have made what we are doing possible.
If anyone has questions or wants clarification on a jig, better pictures of something, please let me know.

Just noticed, seems I can't follow directions, I have 8 horn sheath braces instead of 10, total oversight.

ACUA

#11 Post by ACUA »

I have a hand circular saw and some other simple junk all out in the sun in my back yard. I can get the job done but it takes me 3 times as long to build and I have to pull everything out and put away each day I work, it’s a super painful process. I envy you some but appreciate your contributions. Those cabinets are going to be amazing. :hyper:
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Rob Shasta Guitar

#12 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Messed with the lathe today, kinda scary in the beginning but I got the hang of it well enough to make this happen. I got the 3" on the money but the height is 1 9/16ths.
Attachments
made a 3" cylinder on the lathe
made a 3" cylinder on the lathe
then made it round.   cherry with 1/4 maple in the middle.
then made it round. cherry with 1/4 maple in the middle.

dswpro

#13 Post by dswpro »

Wow --
I never realized how much of a hack I am at building things.
Your build looks great.

J_Dunavin

#14 Post by J_Dunavin »

DANG! She's a beut Clark!
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

jimbo7

#15 Post by jimbo7 »

J_Dunavin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 pm DANG! She's a beut Clark!
$hitter's full
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102