Finally...OFFICIALLY underway

Post your build odyssey here.
himhimself

#1 Post by himhimself »

#1 Post by himhimself » Sat May 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Even with 50+ projects around the house still on the to-do list, I can't wait any longer. My T30 build has officially begun today. I picked up some 5x5 sheets of 1/2" baltic from DSI in Indy this week - good deal BTW. $27 a sheet. They have warehouses throughout the midwest, including Louisville, Cinci and Cleveland too. Guys in Indy were great. So a 5x5 turns into sides for 2 tubas. Cut them today, marked them up, cut out the driver access panels (thanks for the sled plan Bill, worked great. Was wondering if I'd be able to cut them out neatly). Also cut the top, back and bottom panels to 19 7/8 width - max I could get using the 5x5 sheet. That's probably it for today. Need to pick up my 12-pack of PL waiting for me at Menards that I ordered back when on sale for 1.99 each. Also need to get some 18g finish nails for my nailer - don't have any 1" or 1 1/4" here. Drivers have been patiently waiting since I picked them up from Parts Express - 2x 3012LFs for a killer price.
Plan is to drive these two with a bridged Crown CE1000 managed via a DBX driverack PA2. Have a couple more CE1000s, so perhaps a six-some of tubas in the future if they meet my expectations (which are pretty high after hanging around this forum for a couple years now!)
Happy Labor Day weekend all, more to come as I make my way towards being a BFM owner!
thanks for all the input and advice over the last two years

Re: Finally...OFFICIALLY underway
#2 Post by himhimself » Mon May 28, 2018 5:28 pm

First off, is there a way to move this to Build Threads? Probably where it belongs now...
Some progress today on my two T30's. Panels 1 and 2 are attached, baffles have been cut out and backer blocks glued and screwed. I don't have the right screws to mount and test the drivers, so in the meantime i prepped Panels 4, 5 and 6. Unfortunately, I will need to pick up stock for Panels 7. I bought Menards scrap baltic birch and they are just a little too short to get the 21.25 inch panels - crud. On the bright side, the panels are really good. I had the guys bring down a pallet of 400 and went through them to find the good ones. Dead flat and no defects. Apparently they got some sheets with too many knot holes, so chopped out the "bad" sections into 20x20 pieces to sell instead. More to come, hopefully later this week.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

himhimself

#2 Post by himhimself »

Mounted up the drivers tonight with some screws I picked up on the way home from work, put 25hz at 10v through them and they looked good, no "slap". How far off would you have to be to have that even happen? I cut my baffles out with a router, attached to a pivoting piece of wood, so maybe having really perfect circles helps. Came out right at 10 15/16 so worked just fine. Unmounted the drivers, then got panels 3, 4 and 5 mounted on both cabs. Progress!
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

Took me about 5 years to start my builds, you are way ahead of the game :clap: :clap: !
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

:loler:
TomS

himhimself

#5 Post by himhimself »

Panel 6's now in place. Need to cut the 5/6 braces next, but too rainy out tonight. Perhaps tomorrow...
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

himhimself

#6 Post by himhimself »

Panels 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 all in place. 1/10 braces curing right now. Pretty happy with my jacks, got better with the hand holds as I went along. Have two jacks in front, two in the corners on the back. Question: Thinking to run wire from each of the four jacks into the driver chamber, drive a couple hanger bolts into the wall, and then use ring terminals on the wire ends and bolt them all down on the hanger bolts. Including the wires from the drivers. Would make it easy to undo/redo in the future. Good idea? Or not?
Debating whether to make the 6/12 braces straight or curved. Kids say curved. Straight seems easier.
Edge casters have been ordered (thanks TCH Hardware)
Unfortunately Neutrik Faston terminations were backordered at Parts Express. Was hoping to have these ready by Friday for a work party, but might not make it now. Oh well, the bug has bitten and all other home projects are suffering... will keep plowing ahead and see how far I can get.
By the way, with a circular saw and cheap table saw using Bill's jigs, everything is within a 32nd if not perfect... wow. (Doesn't hurt to have really flat plywood, too)
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

himhimself

#7 Post by himhimself »

Panels 12 on. That's it for now, time to clean up my mess.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

commander_dan

#8 Post by commander_dan »

Sounds like its all going to plan. With the Jack wiring, I would abstain from having un-soldered joins anywhere within the cab. I would solder up two "Y" wires to link the Jack pairs to the driver. I also soldered my wires to the driver terminals as well as tightening the lock washer/nuts down tight. There's no way anything is ever coming loose!

6/12 brace.. I prefer the straight look personally, and it's less fiddling around.

Coupla pics of the progress?
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

himhimself

#9 Post by himhimself »

A little more progress. Got the second side access holes cut and cleaned up, wires run from the jack holes into the driver chamber, and stuck the second sides on. One came out spot on, the other is out of square by maybe a sixteenth... no complaints, nothing a little sanding can't take care of.
I have read the plans, and read the plans, and read the plans. And guess what, no real issues along the way so far. Imagine that!! :clap:
I took some pictures and will get them posted up here soon.
Next up:
Cutting and installing the big bottom braces and putting in the access door flanges. Maybe tomorrow.
Now that they are actual boxes, geez, they're big!
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

himhimself

#10 Post by himhimself »

Ugh, felt like slow motion tonight. Jacking around with those access door flanges was a pain, and I only got one side done on each cabinet. Could not seem to figure out a good way to clamp them on. Hopefully they"ll cure up okay, and the next two will be a little easier. Big braces are cut but I think I will wait until after painting to install. I'll just run a strip of painter's tape on the faces where they mount so they can glue to bare wood. I think rolling the inside of the cabs will be easier without the braces in the way. Was hoping to get more done. Having them ready to play by Friday is seeming more of a stretch now. We shall see.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

himhimself

#11 Post by himhimself »

Okay, a couple photos. Although with tactix' CNC tuba pics being posted, I'm a bit embarrassed :oops: ... oh well. Rounded over edges last night and filled most of the brad holes. Geez, the bondo was setting up super fast. It seemed I have very little time before it set and I was using only a tiny bit of hardener. I'm going to try and get them finished up enough to be playable tonight, but there's still a lot to do so that might not happen. Moving them around to sand and such, I'm realizing I should have put handles on the front top and bottom too. That will be an easy add in the near future.
20180607_085354.jpg
20180606_204017.jpg
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

Looks good from here!

Enjoy your weekend.
TomS

himhimself

#13 Post by himhimself »

So stayed up Thursday night until almost 2am cuz I really wanted to try these out on Friday. Got them complete enough. I only wired up a single jack each since I'm still waiting on my backordered neutrik faston's. Not thrilled with my access covers. Actually, it's the flanges. I think they could be wider, since there's not much meat on a couple sides. Nonetheless, got them on. Rolled on a quick coat of flat black, followed by a first coat of duratex and called it a night. Still need to add the big braces, wheels, corners and a few more coats of paint.
On Friday I set them up side by side facing the outside concrete wall of our building, about a foot away. The walls are 30+ feet tall, so figured that would work well. Looking for some feedback on how I limited voltage. I wasn't planning to run them hard as this was truly the first time they've ever been powered up. I put a 60hz signal through the system and measured 35v from the amp. Then I went into the limiter section of my PA2, made sure overeasy was off, and then just adjusted the threshold until I saw the volts on my meter start to decrease. I know I can run up to 50v, but I wanted to be very conservative at this point until I have more time to play with settings. I sent the HP at 35hz with the LR48 filter. HP was around 100hz, I can't quick remember.
Anyway, after that, i ran the system for almost 7 hours, with a pair of JBL Control28"s providing 110Hz and up. The sound was really nice not tiring to the ear. We had a bean bag toss tournament about 50 foot away and low end felt really good there. No one had to shout, but you could feel the bass in your chest. Random playlist of requests.
Overall, I'm pretty happy. Will be glad to get all the final cleanup stuff done on the cabs and run them a little harder next time to see what they can really do.
thanks for all the help along the way!
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

Tom Smit

#14 Post by Tom Smit »

Cool! Don't forget to check for air leaks before cranking them. Oh, and also after the braces are in.
TomS

Padde298

#15 Post by Padde298 »

Looks AWSOME!!! More Pics please...
More bass, more bass! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

2 x TAT