HT Build: TLAH, SLA curved, TTLS

Post your build odyssey here.
billkatz

HT Build: TLAH, SLA curved, TTLS

#1 Post by billkatz »

I'm finally getting going on my TLAH and SLA ccurve build. All of the panels are cut, the TLAH boxes built, and the plywood is ripped for the TTLS - I just need to do some cross-cutting and of course cut the angles for the braces.

Here are the TLAH boxes getting started:
TLAH_start.jpg
At this point I plan to rear mount all of the drivers and finish the boxes in stain/polyurethane.

The first batch of drivers is in hand from Speaker Hardware.

I also plan to build the SLA surrounds from the plans.

My next big challenge is to cut a whole bunch of woofer holes.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

y2kindyz

Re: HT Build: TLAH, SLA curved, TTLS

#2 Post by y2kindyz »

Looking good, looking forward to seeing the finished results.

billkatz

#3 Post by billkatz »

After discussions here about the best way to make the woofer holes, I tried:
  • A holesaw
  • Router, up-spiral, jasper jig,
  • template and pattern bit
I decided that the jasper jig was the easiest, as I just need to drill a 1/8" pilot hole through the baffle (and into a backing board) and then use the jig.

First I tacked the curved SLA baffle to my work table with a few brads, nailing in the 1/2" wide strips that would be cut away:
SLA_front (2).jpg
Then using the router, spiral bit and jasper jig, cut the woofer holes:
SLA_jasper (2).jpg

I used a Forstner bit for the tweeter holes - it makes a very clean cut. Here is the baffle with all 12 holes:
SLA_drilled (2).jpg
Next I changed out the plunge base for the regular base, and mounted the 3/8" round-over bit and rounded off all of the holes:
SLA_routed (2).jpg
The final step was to make all of the angled cuts in the panel, leaving me with 8 pieces. Here is a dry fit of them standing up:
SLA_standing (2).jpg
A careful reading of the instructions reminded me that I now need to sand and finish these pieces before I glue them together. I also need to make the jigs that will allow me to make symmetric pilot holes for the mounting holes for the drivers. Tomorrow while the stain and polyurethane are drying, I may try to get the first couple TTLS panels assembled.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Put the finish on the inside of the top and bottom before assembling as well, masking off the glue line.

billkatz

#5 Post by billkatz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 pm Put the finish on the inside of the top and bottom before assembling as well, masking off the glue line.
Thank you - I see that in the plans.
I hope it will work to build the baffle out of 1/2" Baltic Birch rather than 3/4" solid wood. Otherwise I need to start over on the baffle.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

ketoet

#6 Post by ketoet »

My tlah baffles are made out of 1/2 birch plywood and didn't give me any trouble. Plywood doesn't split like solid wood might do. Just make sure u use screws that aren't too long and show through.
Mine are painted white the plys can be seen but i like that.

Greetz ketoet
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

billkatz

#7 Post by billkatz »

I'm making a little more progress - I started on the TTLS.

Here are the first 3 panels installed:
panel1.jpg
panel2.jpg
panel3.jpg
I also have panel 4 in. Now I need a driver before I can go an farther. Perhaps I'll order it today. I'm leaning toward the 10" Dayton.

I went down to work on the jigs for drilling the mounting holes for the SLA/TLA drivers today, and promptly dropped the router and broke my only 1/4" upspiral bit :-( So that will have to wait. My current idea is to use the jasper jig set to 1/2" larger than the holes to produce wooden slugs that will fit exactly into the holes - and then use a bit of 1/8" masonite as a guide for the 4 pilot holes.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

billkatz

#8 Post by billkatz »

Only 2 1/2 years later, I am finally making progress on this build again! We are doing a major house remodel, and I want to set up our new den as a home theater (or at least have really good audio when watching TV)

One of the things that took forever on the curved SLA was the decision to rear-mount the drivers. I needed to build templates to accurately place the 4 mounting holes for the drivers. Here are teh jigs I built:
templates.jpg
After drilling mounting holes and mounting drivers, it is starting to take shape:
sla_mount_templates.jpg
The woofer template uses a wooden disk to center it, while the tweeter uses a bit of 1 1/2" drain pipe. I also went through several iterations before settling on 5/8" long screws.
Here is the finished speaker:
sla_center_done.jpg
I decided that for the TLAHs I would front mount the drivers. I also changed course and decided to use the Dayton driver instead of the Goldwood. It is lighter, and (in another thread) Bill recommended it. It has a built-in gasket on the back, but needs an annular ring for the gasket to sit in. I used the router and Jasper jig to rout out rings 4 1/16" in diameter and 1/16" deep:
tlah_rings_routed.jpg
Next I routed holes 3 11/16" in diameter. I needed to clamp a piece of scrap inside the enclosure to hold the disks that were being removed and keep the router centered. Here are the first set of holes:
tlah_holes.jpg
The tweeters fit nicely in 1 15/16" holes made with a Forstner bit. Here are teh two enclosures drilled and stained, ready for poly:
stained_tlah_pair.jpg
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Shoot, I just finished going through my Facebook feed, and now I was looking for the "like" button.
Looking good, so far. Keep it up.
TomS

billkatz

#10 Post by billkatz »

I have finished my pair of TLAHs. Now if the contractor would just install the roof on my addition!

First I mounted the woofers - the annular ring fit pretty well, but could have been a 32nd deeper:
tlah_woofs_mounted.jpg
Next I installed the wiring:
tlah_with_wiring.jpg
Then I added batting. Ordered on Amazon, 2 yards x 48" was just about right for a pair:
tlah_with_batting.jpg
Then with two of them, and my eBay 16 channel amp, at last a test:
tlah_pair_testing.jpg
They sound quite good, although there is clearly bass missing. I didn't try dragging one of my Titan39s up :)

My next question for the group - any suggestions on hardware for hanging them from the wall? I plan to put the TV on a wall mount and place these on either side.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Seth

#11 Post by Seth »

Those look great Bill :thumbsup:
billkatz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm My next question for the group - any suggestions on hardware for hanging them from the wall?
A simple French Cleat should do just fine.

Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Dale Hammer

#12 Post by Dale Hammer »

Yeah, French cleats are the way to go.

billkatz

#13 Post by billkatz »

SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:01 pm Those look great Bill :thumbsup:
billkatz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm My next question for the group - any suggestions on hardware for hanging them from the wall?
A simple French Cleat should do just fine.

Thank you! That looks like an excellent idea. It might even work to hold the curved SLA center channel on the wall.
Built:
1 Omni-15 Tall Boy
2 DR250s
2 Titan 39s

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Cleats are wonderful. I've used 'em for hanging cabinets, light sconces, etc. Forms a tight seal to the wall. Best part is that all you have to level is the cleat on the wall - whatever you hang will be straight.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."